Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any way to configure the default MMI screen to show the map view and save zoom level? I hate that every time I start the car I need to switch to the map view and change the zoom.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I agree. The 400yards zoom is not ideal. I prefer 200-300 on the 3d nav or 100 on the overhead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please don't tell me we just have to deal with these blatant problems. I just traded in a Lexus GS300 and I have to say I'm highly disappointed with the navigation in this car.

It's impossible to use without having an address. I think this is completely unacceptable for a $50,000 in the 2009 model yet.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
It's impossible to use without having an address.
You can select a point on the map and navigate to that without needing an address. You can also navigate to POI's without an address.

Of course, in both cases you need to know roughly where you are going. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
How are you supposed to use navigation without an address? I think even lexus hasn't perfected their ESP mind reading nav sytem yet.

I only use nav to see the streets coming up on the map most of the time, but I think Audi has a good leg up on the competion with their two color screen layout.

Lexus offers touchscreen with is sometimes nice. But I have really never liked how they setup their nav systems.

I have attached a picture of the new Lexus IS hardtop conv. interior from the paris auto show and I have also attached an Audi A4 interior. Notice how in the lexus the nav display is further down almost just above the console, you almost have an easier time looking at your feet while driving than viewing your nav display. Also in the Audi the display is higher up, it's much better thought out, making the display easier to view all the while you have a display just near the speedo displaying your next step.

The nav might not be perfect but it's not copmlete rubbish.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With Lexus navigation you simply type the name of your destination (Home Depot or McDonald's) using an on-screen keyboard. You don't need to drill down complex POI screens. Likewise you can also push any of the POI icons (most with correct company icons). It's very simple to see a McDonald's coming up on the map or navigate to something without having to enter a destination.

I know many people rave about the Audi system, but having actually owned a Lexus I have they say they easily have Audi beat.

·
Registered
953 Posts
With Lexus navigation you simply type the name of your destination (Home Depot or McDonald's) using an on-screen keyboard. You don't need to drill down complex POI screens. Likewise you can also push any of the POI icons (most with correct company icons). It's very simple to see a McDonald's coming up on the map or navigate to something without having to enter a destination.

I know many people rave about the Audi system, but having actually owned a Lexus I have they say they easily have Audi beat.
My last car was a Lexus IS250 SEL-L MM and I will be interested to see how the satnav in the A5 stands up against the Lexus one. I loved the Lex touchscreen interface and POI system.

As I haven't got my A5 yet, i'm unsure how easy the Audi satnav system is to use in comparison.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As I haven't got my A5 yet, i'm unsure how easy the Audi satnav system is to use in comparison.
Highrisedrifter....hope your well
Build Week 50......has it slipped?................You will not be able to offer a fair view / comparison as you will have 3GMMI (Jammy Bu**er). Mines here next week for pickup the week after:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just received my A5 yesterday,, And I am actually very disappointed with the Navigation. When the directional arrow comes up, it doesn't tell you the name of the road to turn in to especially in highways where there are 2 different exits at the same spot. So it's confusing. I'm used to the Infiniti Sat Nav which is a lot simpler to use!
I'm highly disappointed in Audi..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When the directional arrow comes up, it doesn't tell you the name of the road to turn in to especially in highways where there are 2 different exits at the same spot.
The road names appear on the overhead view if you are zoomed in enough. In the 3D view they dont appear on any zoom. Personally, I prefer the 3D view but miss the road names that overhead view gives.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The road names appear on the overhead view if you are zoomed in enough. In the 3D view they dont appear on any zoom. Personally, I prefer the 3D view but miss the road names that overhead view gives.
I think he means in the driver information display that has a big blue arrow that says "TURN LEFT" but doesn't tell you what street to turn left onto. I agree that the Nav system and especially the POI database is pretty disappointing. The categories they have are pretty ridiculous - I can find the closest border crossing, but I can't find a supermarket or a Target or a Home Depot?

And yes, ridiculous that I always have to hit a button to go into Map mode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes it sucks big time. And just this morning I was in downtown Portland, I switched to navi screen and there was the arrow stuck at where my house is. I ignored it, then parked the car and switched it off, did my business, after 2 hours i switch the car on and still the stupid navigation doesn't know where it is. This is unacceptable for the kind of money we paid to such a big automobile manufacturer. We should let them know that their Navi sucks, unfortunately :(.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Is the car OK though FAI??

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh Yes the car is great!! Just whenever someone asks me about my car i just say it's great but dislike the navi lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts