Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has now been resolved thanks to contributors in this thread

I have "Navigation data are not enabled" error on my MMI which appeared last week and i have rebooted MMI several times, i have tried checking the next day, even been for a couple hundred mile journey over the last few days and tried resetting again, but the maps show up and after about 60 seconds the error returns.

Not sure if i need to update firmware, which is currently

Media Version:
HN+_EU_AU3G_P0814
Nav. database version:
8R0060884CH ECE 6.20.4

Everything else works fine, it's just the Sat Nav. I do not have the original installation files, and atm not too fussed about upgrading maps, as long as i can resolve this issue. i suspect this is the original software when the car was new and i am the second owner from when the car was 3 years old. i have the MMI Plus Sat Nav.

Any ideas what i need to do? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
441 Posts
I have "Navigation data are not enabled" error on my MMI which appeared last week ...
Was navigation working properly prior to this message ?
The MMI software version is the production version for your car, and the navigation database looks to be original, too.
When so-called "activation" is required following a nav database update, the message looks like this, typically:
Screenshot Font Technology Terrestrial plant Electric blue

Your message suggests either a Green Engineering Menu configuration setting is incorrect or the internal HDD is failing. --g

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was navigation working properly prior to this message ?
The MMI software version is the production version for your car, and the navigation database looks to be original, too.
When so-called "activation" is required following a nav database update, the message looks like this, typically:
View attachment 182862
Your message suggests either a Green Engineering Menu configuration setting is incorrect or the internal HDD is failing. --g
the navigation has been perfect up until last week... perfect as in, not the most clever navigation routing but never had any issues :D

if the HDD is failing, does that mean replacing the HDD or do i have another option, perhaps performing, activation and/or firmware update and/or map update?

I have Activator v6.24.2 and from what i have read, i copy the files on to a formatted FAT32 SD card and then ????

I have managed to find HN+EU_AU3G_K0942[8R0906961FC], which i will copy to a separate formatted FAT32 SD card and then ???

i also have Hiddenmenu and Enable_Emergency_Update_-3GP which i can copy to a formatted SD card if i need to perform this first, but would still need instructions

the ??? means i do not have clear instructions or steps to take and just need details i can follow, please. thanks.

I have never ever had any issues with any of my VW or Audis and so have never performed these steps, so would appreciate some guidance. thanks in advance.

I have read MMI 3G+/3GP navigation 6.33.1 and firmware updates -...

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
441 Posts
@ajmerphull : I've not heard of any MMI 3G+ "losing" its "activation" out-of-the-blue for no good reason. Another member here just recently tried updating the failed HDD with a SSD device. In his case, he got the same message following the nav database update with the SSD installed; inspection of the system files showed that the file responsible for enabling the navigation data wasn't being created as expected (we think having to do with corruption of the nav database parition).
Do you use the Media Jukebox? Can you import music files successfully to the HDD ? Do you have access to VCDS to scan for DTCs in Address 5F? If you have the Green Engineering Menu enabled, review the SMART values for the HDD under /environment. --g

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ajmerphull : I've not heard of any MMI 3G+ "losing" its "activation" out-of-the-blue for no good reason. Another member here just recently tried updating the failed HDD with a SSD device. In his case, he got the same message following the nav database update with the SSD installed; inspection of the system files showed that the file responsible for enabling the navigation data wasn't being created as expected (we think having to do with corruption of the nav database parition).
Do you use the Media Jukebox? Can you import music files successfully to the HDD ? Do you have access to VCDS to scan for DTCs in Address 5F? If you have the Green Engineering Menu enabled, review the SMART values for the HDD under /environment. --g
i do not have access to VCDS, but i did get system scanned and no fault codes were reported, but i will have to do the check you have suggested, but that might be a few weeks as the guy isn't local to me.

I cannot access the Green Hidden Menu, which i have tried following the videos describing how to access the Green menu, and the same for the Red Menu. If i can access the Green menu i can check SMART status of the HDD.

i did uploaded music to jukebox when i first got the car, but i have not tried since, so i could try that now and respond with outcome.

I did have an ageing battery, which only revealed itself couple of weeks ago and at one point the voltage dropped to 10v. Before this point the sat nav worked fine. I did manage to start the car and take it for a 30 min run, but some systems were inactivated, including the ESC, Stabilisation Systems (?) and Steering Systems (?) and it was after this point i got the navigation error message for the first time. I did get the battery replaced within 5 days and did not let the battery voltage drop below 12v. Could this have caused an problem with HDD?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can i just copy the HN+EU_AU3G_K0942[8R0906961FC] files to a 32G SD card and perform the software update from the SetupMMI->Software Update menu option, with my current firmware as described above?

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
441 Posts
can i just copy the HN+EU_AU3G_K0942[8R0906961FC] files to a 32G SD card and perform the software update from the SetupMMI->Software Update menu option, with my current firmware as described above?
No. MMI system software update is started from the Red Engineering Menu. In my opinion, I don't think updating the system software will solve this (but you can try it, if you really want to).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
appreciate your responses @DrGER

so far what i have learned, Audi's don't leave showrooms with the GEM and REM enabled, obviously, but owners who describe the method of accessing these menus have either already enabled them or previous owners have enabled them, hence why some owners can access the GEM/REM using the MMI buttons and others can't, like me. As my car was only 3 years old and previously owned by some company director, i don't suspect he was too concerned about these issues.

So i first need to enable the GEM/REM either by VCDS or by running the script from an SD card?
Then i need to find the appropriate and matching firmware and maps software and update these from the REM?

and hope this resolves the (slightly grammatically incorrect) error message "Navigation data are not enabled"

·
Registered
A8 2015
121 Posts
Sorry, not quite correct. The REM is always available on all MMI cars, you don't have to enable it. The GEM is meant for Audi technicians, is disabled by default but can be turned on by VCDS [that's how I did it] and by unix script [not tested by me].

As you suggest above, you can run an MMI update by putting the appropriate files on an SD card and installing via the REM. I know it looks like you can run it from the Setup MMI / Software Update screen but that never works.

Yoiu didn't say what car you have but on my Audi A8 with 3G+ MMI it's CAR and BACK, which will give you the 'Current Train' screen from where you can run the update ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@JulianHicks appreciate your response, and thanks for the info. I have a 2015 A5 B8.5 with MMI 3GP. I have tried CAR + BACK but nothing happens.

I have downloaded and copied HN+EU_AU3G_K0942[8R0906961FC] to an SD card in order to update my current firmware which is described in my first post, but since i could not get to the REM, i am a bit stuck, but as @DrGER has suggested this may not necessarily resolve the "Navigation data are not enabled" error.

·
Registered
A8 2015
121 Posts
The CAR and BACK is a little tricky and I think you have to wait until your MMI is fully started before it works. I would get the MMI going and wait 5 mins before trying. You have to almost hold them at the same time (Car slightly earlier) and wait 5 secs,

@DrGER is five hours behind us as he’s in Ohio but he might read this shortly and suggest you run his Info script to see what state the file system is in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm; document I just read implies REM is Back and Car for A5s :rolleyes:
Ok, i will press BACK + CAR and see what happens, and i have read the same about A5/Q5's and since this combi did not work, as well as trying CAR + BACK and BACK + CAR and also simultaneously pressing both never worked. I do wait until all the MMI systems have initialised and loaded by going through the items, NAV, TEL, MEDIA, RADIO, CAR and MENU.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts