Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the Audi Navigation? My Benz is terrible. I know Japanese vehicles are usually the leaders but just wondering how well does the Audi compare to say...MB?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I havn't used a merc sat nav before, so I cant compare it.

One thing which I dont like is how it's not up to date in some places, even though it's given with a new car.

Example being, one road in edinburgh which i travel regularly... it's had a large roundabout there for almost 3 years now. Yet, the sat nav still says it's a T junction.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Petrol stations are the worst. We have a few petrol stations that have been gone for over 10 years yet still appear on the sat nav. Plus there is one that moved about 20 yards about 10 years ago and rather than move the petrol station icon, they added another one.

We have a few local roads which opened in the 18 months which appear on the map but surprisingly, no the A12 bypass which is one of the major roads in our county.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Does anyone know if Audi issues update DVDs from time to time?
If so, is there any way of feeding back to them these problems? Surely it would be easier for them to use members of the public to feed back information than have a team of researchers scouring the country...?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The DVDs are updated annually (sometimes half yearly according to some sources). Navtech is the information supplier.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The DVDs are updated annually (sometimes half yearly according to some sources). Navtech is the information supplier.
Yea, they issue them annually... but what exactly do they change from year to year???

Although, i have to say. The Tom Tom i used to use is WAAAAYYY worse than the audi navigation. NEVER took me to a restaurant correctly, ever!!

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
My personal opinion is that the S5 SatNav is a pile of ****, not only that, but it costs 10 times that of a portable 'Tom Tom' type unit and I would strongly recommend that you do not specify it.
Now things maybe better with the US spec unit, but over here it doesn't recognise UK postcodes. That means to find somewhere you need to type in the city, road name and then the building number. Problem is that many (in fact most) of the homes and business' that I visit are known only by a name not a building number, and this means that the closest it can take me is the road.
Now maybe I'm an innocent fool, easily parted from his money, but I thought the whole point of a SatNav system is that it shows you the way to unfamilar places -the Audi one takes you to the right road, then makes you drive slowly along it, whilst you try to make out the house names. Bloody useless.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
My personal opinion is that the S5 SatNav is a pile of ****, not only that, but it costs 10 times that of a portable 'Tom Tom' type unit and I would strongly recommend that you do not specify it.
Now things maybe better with the US spec unit, but over here it doesn't recognise UK postcodes. That means to find somewhere you need to type in the city, road name and then the building number. Problem is that many (in fact most) of the homes and business' that I visit are known only by a name not a building number, and this means that the closest it can take me is the road.
Now maybe I'm an innocent fool, easily parted from his money, but I thought the whole point of a SatNav system is that it shows you the way to unfamilar places -the Audi one takes you to the right road, then makes you drive slowly along it, whilst you try to make out the house names. Bloody useless.
Very good points there. Gotta agree with the post code entry part... extremely annoying. Even more annoying when people are telling me where to go... They always expect their postcode to be enough when I put it into the sat nav.

On the note regarding Japanese sat nav, my dad used to have a Lexus RX300 - the sat nav seemed to work well on that. If i remember correctly, THAT took a whole postcode!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It does recognise post codes (to the first number of the second bit XX01 0) but there seems little point to it as it then asks town and road afterwards. The postcode just seems to reduce the number of possible entries. However, there is a flaw that if you use postcode, you have to use post town as well and not the village that you may be looking for.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah NAVTEQ is a US-based company. I would guess that the US spec would be a bit more functional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts