Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or the system ?
Travelling south the other week and got off the M6 due to heavy traffic. The NAV system would come up with an alternate route "due to congestion" but after a few minutes that alternate route as dumped "due to congestion".

I would have expected that the nav system took into acount the congestion situation on more than the current route before suggesting the alternate. Or is it only looking at the current route ? Which seems silly and limiting.

I found only one setting in the TMC section which is set to "all" rather than "route only".

Am I missing something ?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've encountered the same thing an number of times on my travels, it''s just not as smart as you would like it to be. It has saved me over an hour before though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It provided me with an alternate route, whilst already on an alternate route, when i went down to Cornwall a few weeks ago.

Worked really well.

The only gripe I have is that the SatNav still says there are petrol stations in places where I know they were demolished and replaced with housing some years back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nav

My tomtom does seem to take into account all the factors before suggesting an alternate and I keep it in the car for the camera sites anyway...

The tomtom maps were out of date before I got the unit home though. I have not found the same yet with the Audi maps which seem to be from teleatlas as well.

If there is a suggestion box at Audi I would love to be able to overlay things such as tesco stores, cameras etc. as you can on most portable units

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've got Nav but I've never noticed it monitor or change the route I'm travelling, how do you set it to this option or how do you see the alternative routes it gives you?? :confused:

Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nav

I've got Nav but I've never noticed it monitor or change the route I'm travelling, how do you set it to this option or how do you see the alternative routes it gives you?? :confused:

Cheers
Turn on dynamic navigation which is one of the options under settings. It then supposedly takes trafiic (via TMC) into account. But as I experienced above was rather limited in its outlook.
My TomTom seems better and I also use google mobile maps on my phone which I a life saver sometimes as it is a simple graphical display over a large area if needed (Dec 27th was Manchester to Stoke on Trent on the M6 all at 20mph)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My experience is that if I ignore it, it tends to be proven right. If I follow its advice, it is often more right than wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts