Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just noticed something new and rather frustrating, but do not know whether this applies to US spec A5's as well. sorry for this:

MY take on it: the Euro models come with two forms of the MMI.
1) The full and complete MMI with Nav with the knobs down by the gear shift, 3.5mm aux jack and a 6 disc in dash cd changer. (B&O & AMI optional)
2) the Half-assed MMI with knobs on the center stack, no nav, 1 disc cd player, SD slot, 3.5mm aux jack and i am assuming less functionality of MMI (car) features. (B&O optional)

Do these NAV/NAV-less changes also apply to the US models????

I opted to by a top of the line GARMIN unit that can be portable. i change cars a lot. but was NEVER told of any changes like this to the interior!!

I am on the verge of FEROCITY !!!! :mad:

Someone, please shed some light on this before i lose my cool with the dealer. :(

I have NO NAV, but do have the B&O..... what does that mean??

i have searched the threads and the AUDI websites and haven't come up with a proper answer for this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
should've done ur research buddy....been discussed to death....

you will get the mmi controls on ur center dashboard if u didn't get navi...
since u also get b&o, you will lose some options compared to when u did get the navi

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have NO NAV, but do have the B&O..... what does that mean??

Sorry to hear that your dealer did not provide you with adequate information. From other posts I've read here, that's not surprising. Unfortunately, dealers do not always provide accurate information.

The following thread should provide you with further information:
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/b-o-w-1791/index.html?t=1791

Also, see these additional threads:
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/standard-mmi-versus-1280/index.html

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-interiors-pics-2019/index.html?t=2019

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah, the dealer that I was going to order from couldn't explain why the configuration in the brochure looked different than the car on the lot (it didn't have Nav)...so you can't always trust them to know any more than you can learn on your own. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Most confusing

When I ordered my S5 in October had exactly the same set of questions, so I have a lot of sympathy with you.

I asked 4 dealers exactly the same question about MMI location - I figured I would get the mean opinion score (MOS - you engineering types know what I am talking about). One got it right.

I also asked Audi of America and got a rather direct answer telling me "to go look at the web site where everything is clearly described" (joke) with great pictures (ah! yes read the small print - European model shown, just to add further ambiguity)

Anyway that's the deal - want the MMI control near the shift level - you have to purchase the NAV option. Otherwise its on the dashbaord.

By the way, the Garmin is better than Audi NAV in my opinion, but messieer to have stuck on the window.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Frustrating - yes. A big issue ... well, no. Not if you don't want any of the options which depend on having the full MMI that only comes with Sat Nav (by which I mean iPod connector, TV etc)

I'm surprised how rich the options are in my AIS. I don't think anyone's produced a definitive A
IS or MMI menu list so I'll go list my menu options this morning and start a new thread. Obviously the options will vary based on the kit you have installed so it would be great if others can do the same for their cars.

I was concerned that my AIS would be severely cut down given some of the suggestions on here that it's just a glorified stereo. Whilst this may be true in a technical sense in that it lacks some of the interfaces for extensibility it's very misleading as I still have plenty of car config options.

EDIT

I've now created a thread which has my full set of options. When you see how many there are my comment about AIS being more than a glorified stereo will make much more sense.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/mmi-and-ais-2717/index.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Audi Dealers

Initially i did not pick up on this and i was not going with the NAV system because of the price which he intially quoted me for a rip-off price of $4342. But while waiting for the agent to process my order i was flipping through the brochure and noticed this and asked the agent if the knob location depends on the ordering the NAV system. Intially he said no but then checked with his supervisor whom confirmed this to be true hence i ordered the NAV system for the purpose of having the knobs in a more ergonomically friendly location.

The only regret i have is not getting the AMI option following my delaer advise...which i shouldnt have. I just hope since my car will be a 2009 model that it would come included with the NAV as standard.

I am really not pleased with the audi dealer (at least here in Dubai), with the exception of the supervisor the agents have no knowledge whatsover on the options and pricing. I literally had to go behind the desk and explain to the agent what all the different options are. They need to get people with more passion in what they do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, after getting over the whole thing, i got in contact with my dealer (who had just received a NAV-less A5) and become aware of this ordeal.
Got him online and it wasn't too late to make the addition, wont be built till next week. So NAV & AMI it is!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

thanks for the help guys... almost missed the train.

now there is talk about after-market alterations to the fiberoptic system to watch DVDs.... correct?? what else can be done with it??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Glad you're sorted... but to be honest, I'm not bothered where the MMI controls are and have the B&O and 6 CD option... a few B&O settings missing, but I don't miss them.... The £2,000 I saved I spent on a Milltek, springs and spacers and still have money left over for a remap and brake disc upgrade... It's all about choice!

Enjoy, I hope the wait for the car isn't too long. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
So, after getting over the whole thing, i got in contact with my dealer (who had just received a NAV-less A5) and become aware of this ordeal.
Got him online and it wasn't too late to make the addition, wont be built till next week. So NAV & AMI it is!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

thanks for the help guys... almost missed the train.

now there is talk about after-market alterations to the fiberoptic system to watch DVDs.... correct?? what else can be done with it??
Hold Up!!! Your dealer got Audi to add the Navigation pkg. to your order, weeks from delivery? I went to my dealer about two or three weeks ago to see if he could add the tech pkg. he said it was too late into the order to have anything changed or added! That he would have to re-order another car!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hold Up!!! Your dealer got Audi to add the Navigation pkg. to your order, weeks from delivery? I went to my dealer about two or three weeks ago to see if he could add the tech pkg. he said it was too late into the order to have anything changed or added! That he would have to re-order another car!
I was told that they're not supposed to make it widely known, but options can be changed up until 2 weeks before production starts. The catch is that nobody knows when production of that unit will start so it may be luck of the draw.

-Ray

·
Registered
58 Posts
i ordered my car on Mar 31 for a 4 to 5 month delivery time, 3 weeks later i decided to change my option and add AMI. The dealer acted in complete disbelieve and shock that i plan to change something 3 weeks into an order but then said he will check to see, next day he tells me the car is already in production (i doubt he checked). so i ask him if thats the case then how long would it take to recieve my order?

Anyway i didnt bother arguing and accepted it to the surprise of the agent, knowing that i can add the AMI kit (yes the official audi one) post production if required...for the time being i hope it comes added as standard to the NAV for 2009

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, this is true. My build week is the 26th of this month and he made YET ANOTHER change for me. Its not the first time either.
(changed the color twice and added the aluminum trim another time... and now the NAV)
Its not my fault, i ordered in February.... its now MAY and option availability from the '08 to '09 has changed.

sorry to hear they gave you others a hard time!! :D

If it wasn't for some of the guys here, i wouldnt have know to make the changes and would have been very disappointed when picking up the car.
i prob would have walked away... :eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts