Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes forever for destinations stored in memory to load down. just the other day I was driving in unfamiliar territory and tried to pull up my home address to guide me home. In all my previous cars with nav, things popped up nearly instantaneously, so I was surprised to have to wait approx 10 sec. It takes only a moment for manually entered destinations to come up with a route. I would think stored locations would come up at least as quickly. Is this everyone's experience? Otherwise the nav works very well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The other thing that's anoying is that I can't figure out how to pan around the map...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other thing that's anoying is that I can't figure out how to pan around the map...
If you push in your MMI button, scroll down to the bottom of the tool bar on the right (arrows pointing up down right left) and click the MMI button again you can pan L and R push again and you can pan U and D.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks doc... I'll try that though it seems a bit tedious than just moving a joystick or a touchscreen to pan around. C'est la vie.

The other thing I have an issue with is putting in POI. I tried to use it to search for a Pottery Barn around me. In my Infiniti Navi, I can just search under the "Point of Interest" menu and type in Pottery Barn and it will search for Pottery Barn's near me. However, in the Audi, I can't seem to find anywhere in the menu where I can search specifically for Pottery Barn or any POI specifically without searching for all unrelated stores in the "Shopping Center" menu.

Any help?

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. Interesting. One thing I like about my NAV system is that POI's that I have stored in memory appear instantly and the routing is extremly quick. It's much faster than the two portable Garmin units that I have.

2. There are two things I hate about the NAV system. One is that the DVD has to remain installed. Both of my Garmin units have all of North America loaded in flash memory. I guess having to have the DVD installed makes it easy to update the maps if they don't have a laptop computer. However, purchasing the DVD should get you a free dealer install into flash memory if you don't have a laptop to do it yourself. Second is the less than steller search function for POI's that are in the computer. As mentioned, one should be able to put in Pottery Barn, or whatever, and get a list of those within a specified radius. I should also be able to put in restaurant choice (Mexican, Italian, etc) and get a list of restaurants within a given radius. It that's possible I haven't figured out how to do it.

3. Something I like about the NAV system that has nothing to do with navigation is that the MMI on the A5 is moved from the dash to the console, where it more convienent and, in my opinion, looks nicer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Why does the DVD bother you? The drive is tucked out of the way, so it's not unsightly. And it seems that keeping the disc in the drive is a non-issue...it's not like you've got anything else to put in there. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not happy about having the DVD installed to operate the NAV system because: (1) having to use the DVD means mechanical parts spinning platters, etc which means lower reliability - the Nav system is one of the more frequent reliability issues mentioned for Audi in consumer reports, (2) the DVD has to operate in adverse temperature conditions (below zero winters and above 100 degrees in the car interior in the summers) which can limit its operation due to temperature and is a prime cause of the poor reliability, and (3) the system is huge compared to my tiny little Garmin, which has more capability, includes Bluetooth and XM Satellite Radio capability, and runs on flash memory (I'd rather have the side area to store something). The Garmin also has text to speech so it tells me to turn left on Porter Street rather than turn left in 300 yards.

Complaints aside, if I had a choice to do it over, I'd still get the Nav system in the A5. It's not as user friendly as my Garmin, has less capability, and costs 5X as much, but its still a nice system AND it puts the MMI on the console.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts