Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is a bad day....noticed a slow loss of pressure in the off side rear....was passing Kwikfit so dropped in, sure enough nail in the bugger inch and a half from sidewall.

Clearly no chance of standard repair but seem to remember ATS and others do vulcanisation repairs (had it done on mrs Focus some time ago but different kettle of fish on the A5?), so the question is, tyre with 11k miles on, try and get it vulcanised or shell out the 250 - 300 quid for a new one (keeping with Dunlop Sport Max 255x35x19).

Second question - if new tyre is only option (nervy of repair with power the 3.0TDI is putting down through it) do I need two as one will have 11k on and one will be full tread - can this 'wind' the diff up - not had 4x4 before so new to this?

Third question - If repairing would you leave it on the back (where 60% the power goes) or stick it on the front (40% of power but stering to do) ??

Cheers in advance,

James.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Depending where you are in the North West, there is a very good tyre company in Bolton called Thistlethwaites (I have no connection with them). They are experienced in performance tyres and will give you the correct advice on what to do without trying to maximise their profit

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be a plan

Cheers Speary, I'm just south of Preston close to M61 so Bolton easy enough, may look them up tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a similar puncture in my rear. National tyres said "no way hose" but with almost full tread I couldn't bear to give up straight away. Found a slightly less reputible back street tyre place and persuaded them to give it a go and see how it goes.

4000 miles later its given me no trouble. I've not 4 WD on the 2.7 but can't see it being too big a deal.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'd get it vulcanised if it's still got plenty tread left.

It shouldnt be an issue where you put it afterwords. But if you're worried, I'd put it on the front. It's easier to control the front of the car in a blowout situation than the rear. Most people's gutt reaction will tell you to put it on the rear though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts