Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on a trip for about 5 hours and all of a sudden, my TPMS light went on. So I pulled over, looked around and everything looked ok, so I continued on, as I wasn't in a populated area.

It stayed on, so after another 15 minutes, I pulled over, all looked ok.

Then it went off and stayed off.

Any ideas of what's happening? It's been 3 hours since and tires are fine.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That wouldn't surprise me in the winter (low temps) as air pressure is temperature sensitive. You should check the air pressure in your tires manually and you may find one is very close to the minimum limit. After driving, however, I would expect the pressure to increase due to increased heat in the tires. If not, perhaps you have a "glitch" in one of your tire pressure "pickups".

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi Dan,

The TPMS measures the delta between the tire pressure that is recorded when you select to store the tire pressure via the MMI. As you probably know, over time your tires loose a little pressure (and as drjer noted, temperature plays a role sometimes too). What has probably happened was drjer's second scenario in that your tire pressure on one or more tires were right at the border of being "low" compared to the recorded value, and various things like large bumps, sharp turns, etc. can cause spikes and dips in the tire pressure so, this may be what happened to cause your TPMS to read a low pressure temporarily.

Check your tire pressure with a tire gauge and set the tires to your desired value (you may notice that one or more are a little lower than the others). Once the tires are set to the desired pressure, simply store the new pressure via mmi and you shouldn't see this for quite a while.

Once, my car did the exact same thing and it turned out the I had lost some pressure over the 5 months since I bought the car. Good luck, I wouldn't worry about it unless the problem returns or become more recurrent .

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's important to rememebr that TPMS should not be relied on to ensure your tires are properly filled. Nothing can replace frequent checks with a quality tire gauge. And ccompton, I'm sure you knew that 5 months was too long to go without checking. You were just...distracted, right?

·
Registered
750 Posts
He-he...

Technically...the car was 2 months old when I got it...and I have had it for 3. But yeah...regular is better (I'm just so lazy...and the tire pressure gauge is so heavy!).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I got a puncture yesterday and checked all the pressures and the worst one was 8 psi lower than it should be (not the punctured one!!)

That was after 8 months without checking.

For those that dont know, the correct tyre pressures are on the driver door.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys

Thanks for the input. I just checked the car today and all looked fine. I'm going to find a tire shop and have them check the pressure (I'm on vacation and my gauge is home in my garage).

I'll check/reset the MMI once I make sure they are at the correct pressure. I think it had something to do with being how hot it was. It was a long drive in heat and perhaps it did something to a sensor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was on a trip for about 5 hours and all of a sudden, my TPMS light went on. So I pulled over, looked around and everything looked ok, so I continued on, as I wasn't in a populated area.

It stayed on, so after another 15 minutes, I pulled over, all looked ok.

Then it went off and stayed off.

Any ideas of what's happening? It's been 3 hours since and tires are fine.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
EXACT same thing happened to me, except it scared me a lot more because 1) i had JUST had two tires replaced that week 2) i was in the middle of nowhere in the dark, midlle of the night and 100miles from my destination still. All of a sudden, the TPMS went off and it scared the SH!T out of me. i pulled over, and looked at my tires (incidentally, they were hot to the point of being amazingly sticky to the touch - i'd been driving pretty fast for a lot of miles). noticed nothing out of the ordinary so i started up the car and the monitor light went off. hasnt come back on since. but that incident scared the bejebus out of me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
attam, we are the exact same. Went the light went off, I was in the middle of nowhere and said to my self "ahh geez, this is not a good place to have a flat at all". My tires were very hot also, so I'm starting to think there's something to it. I'll know more once I verify the pressure is where it needs to be.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had mine come on last week.
Of course going from my normal 100+ degree at 800-1000' to 50 degree 9,000'+ might of had something to do with it.
I got out checked the tire pressures. All were down 4-5 psi.
Came back from my vacation and the pressures are magically fixed.
I had checked my pressures the day before I left for my trip. External factors can definitely change your pressures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.