Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Carrying on!

With the pump all hooked up I could start routing the rest of the wiring and the water meth lines themselves. I opted to use the headlight washer hose seen as it was in the vicinity and it saves me tapping into the washer fluid tank creating more work. I hated the headlight washers making a mess when they spray anyway so this way was a win win for me!

Secured the AEM hose to the headlight washer hose with a bit of silicone tubing and clamp to get a tight fit.

Wood Gas Bicycle part Wire Metal
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

All hooked up, I ran the hose back up through the nearside fender and across the bulkhead. Also took the time to tessa tape all the wires for a clean OEM look.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Electrical wiring Rim

When it came to the nozzle the only real option was in the air intake hose before the supercharger which is a little unorthodox but the V6T boys still seem to be getting decent gains from the same location. I had to revert back to the OEM intake hose as I haven't figured out a good way of getting a clean cut through the silicone, I tried with different drill bits on a spare bit of silicone hosing that was laying about but it ended up looking like a 12 gauge had went through it lol. 🤦‍♂️

Hand Automotive tire Nail Finger Tire

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Gas Rim

Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Moving on

rest of the job was pretty straight forward,

replace intake hose

screw in nozzle

run wire to fuse box using a ”fuse piggyback“ I personally paired it with the clutch position sensor

place the LED and controller where you see fit

Arm Musical instrument Motor vehicle Drum Bicycle part

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design

Automotive lighting Vending machine Gas Machine Electronic device

Motor vehicle Car Steering part Automotive design Personal luxury car

Gear shift Car White Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

And there’s the finished product, haven’t managed to do any testing yet as very shortly after this was installed my charge cooler water pump shat it’s nickers, however I may do a follow up once I’ve driven it around for a few hundred miles.

any questions fire away 😁

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
A quick Christmas mod!

So it seems I got bored again and decided to do a cheap and easy cold air feed directly to the convenient hole at the bottom of the OEM air box. I had already removed the intake flap that usually resides there a year or two ago, this just pops out with a little force and can be replaced if required.

First off I needed to dremel off the 5 ribs you can see in order to get the hose to fit over and get a good clamp on there.

Before:
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

After:
Automotive tire Circle Tints and shades Rim Metal

While the air box was removed I gave it a good clean and slapped on some gold reflective tape to hopefully keep some of the engine heat away 😁

Outerwear Chair Bag Tints and shades Rectangle

Now in order to get a good fit you may have to do some trimming to the headlight support bracket, because I used a 3” hose there wasn’t enough clearance, this may be different for the facelift guys however.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Light

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Gas Vehicle

Automotive tire Textile Wood Material property Glove

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Tire Bumper

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire

• Headlight bracket trimmed
  • Hose clamped on and routed
  • Trumpet added to the end
  • Bumper back on

And Bobs your uncle! Merry Christmas Folks!

· Registered
147 Posts
Interesting. I did wonder why the airbox has an 'extra' hole at the bottom for no obvious reason.

My though was that wouldn't the air coming in from the top just go out the bottom hole as it's the least resistance?

Will be interesting to see if the pumps more air in to the engine and what, if any, affect it has.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It’s there as a secondary air inlet, when the engine gets past a certain RPM the valve (if it hasn’t been removed) opens up to allow additional air to be drawn into the engine, I’ve actually seen some A5s that have an OEM hose that attaches to the bottom inlet (I’ll attach pic). Don’t think the air will go in one way and out the other though, probably just turbulence in the air box.
It does seem to have dropped the intake temps a little if my P3 gauge is anything to go by, however that could just be a fluctuation in ambient temps.
All in all I can see it doing more good then harm and for £15 and a couple hours of your time it’s no biggy, even if the gains are minimal, definitely wasted my money on more expensive “upgrades“ haha!

Do you know if you can measure the air flow through VCDS? Might try and get a comparison if so.
Interesting. I did wonder why the airbox has an 'extra' hole at the bottom for no obvious reason.

My though was that wouldn't the air coming in from the top just go out the bottom hole as it's the least resistance?

Will be interesting to see if the pumps more air in to the engine and what, if any, affect it has.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Bag Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Gas Electric blue

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi Mate, are you still running on the H&R OE Springs? Noticed you said you were going to replace them. Just wondering what the ride is like after a few years on them? Any issues with any other parts of the suspension needing replaced?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hi Mate, are you still running on the H&R OE Springs? Noticed you said you were going to replace them. Just wondering what the ride is like after a few years on them? Any issues with any other parts of the suspension needing replaced?
Hi, yes still running the H&R springs but with Bilstein B12 pro dampeners/shocks, I noticed the OEM shocks were pretty much useless when I swapped the springs so had them swapped out soon after. The ride is pretty much perfect now and I’ve had no problems since, cheers.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts