Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Finally lowered

So its been a busy and rather frustrating few days working on the car, got some temporary H&R OE springs (25mm drop) fitted, ill probably be selling them next year sometime once I can afford some coilovers! also done a few adjustments to the front bumper. The drop looks more or less perfect to me, just need to wait for them to settle a little.

Before:

After: Couldnt get a side on as the SQ5 was in the way ?

What I would say for anyone tackling this job themselves make sure you have an impact wrench and a decent one at that or youll have an absolute nightmare getting some of the bolts off!

I use this beast. DeWalt DCF899.

May have some new alloys coming in after the New Year, looking at getting the Bola B16's in satin black but until then have a MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR! :dance:

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Feels like summer already!

Seen as the weather has been lovely lately I decided to take her out for a drive in the Northumberland countryside and got a few shots while I was at it :smile2:
Couple new bits have been done since my last post including some 20" Le Mans alloys bought from a fellow forum member ?
and also managed to haggle some O'carbon interior trim from Ebay!

Out of curiosity does anyone know where to get the RS5 interior door handles from at a good price? cant seem find them anywhere :serious:

· Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Seen as the weather has been lovely lately I decided to take her out for a drive in the Northumberland countryside and got a few shots while I was at it :smile2:

Couple new bits have been done since my last post including some 20" Le Mans alloys bought from a fellow forum member

and also managed to haggle some O'carbon interior trim from Ebay!

Out of curiosity does anyone know where to get the RS5 interior door handles from at a good price? cant seem find them anywhere :serious:
Very very nice, love a clean engine bay. I've been looking for the handles myself, they're quite elusive. From what I've heard, best price is actually from the dealer, around £100 for the pair. Used ones are impossible to find.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Very very nice, love a clean engine bay. I've been looking for the handles myself, they're quite elusive. From what I've heard, best price is actually from the dealer, around £100 for the pair. Used ones are impossible to find.
Thanks! Yeah ive been in contact with Audi but they haven't gotten back to me yet, also tried asking ebayers selling the RS5 door cards to sell me the handles separate but no luck there, stubborn buggers ahah!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Your car looks beautiful!
Have you done a 0-60 run since supercharging it?
Thanks man!
Excuse late reply, been busy working in Canada the past couple months.
As far as 0-60 goes ive only done a few so far as im still running a stock clutch and don't want to fry it lol,
quickest ive done so far though was 3.87 sec on a damp road with a boot full of luggage "was travelling down from up north" so there is definitely a few tenths to be knocked off, just finding the time and place to do it!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So just another update:
Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well! Haven't been on this forum in time so thought id give yous a little update as lockdown is killing me ahah!
Seen as most of my performance modifications are finished ive just been focusing on the aesthetic side of things and have also done a couple of super easy retrofits which i was not aware you could do for little money if you shop around!

So first off was swapping the interior door handles for the pretty RS5 ones, also swiped up some arm rests and the aluminium tipped window/boot switches etc. Simple case of whipping the door cards off and undoing a few screws and swapping them out. In my opinion this makes the cabin look so much more youthful and classy!
I also sent off mt dash trim to be carbon skimmed to match all the rest of the carbon trim i have.

Next on my list was replacing the gear knob as my original one was looking tired, shopped around and eventually settled on the Raceseng Slammer which weighs 635 grams!!! makes the shifts feel super smooth and also doesn't look out of place at all imo!
I then managed to find some RS5 MMI controls on ebay that compliment the gear knob quite nicely! Happy days!

Now on to a couple retrofits, the first being the auto dimming rear view mirror, absolute game changer! how on earth i managed this long without it i dont know lol! literally just a straight up swap if you have rain sensors and auto headlights!
The second retrofit being the electronic folding mirrors. I noticed when i had the door cards off that i had the correct door modules for them so had a little snoop around on ebay and found some on the cheap and while i was at it decided to get some carbon fiber wing-mirror covers because why the hell not!
I would do a write up but there is plenty out there already.

Another little mod i ended up doing was fitting the KUFATEC fistune DAB plus, i was looking at upgrading to mmi 3g plus but my reasoning behind for it was pointless seen as its a very expensive job and my car is already over 90,000 miles.
So the DAB was the way to go for me, the unit itself was very easy to fit and didnt require any coding, if anyone want any more details on the install shoot me a pm (y)

Thats it for now! Hopefully ill have a few more ideas of what else i can do in the near future! Feel free to shoot me any ideas you might have yourselves and i may consider it :p

Chow for now!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got around to doing another little mod this weekend to keep me entertained for a couple hours.
I had a spare set of wingmirror trim so I thought id order in a couple VHT rattle cans and see what i could do!
First step was to bang on a base coat and wait 30min before adding the colour coat leaving 10 minutes to dry after each layer.

After that i let them dry fully overnight and set about fitting them. Nothing more then pulling the mirror off, undoing two screws and they'll pop straight off with a bit of force.

All done! Not quite as dark as i wanted so I might do them again in a different colour later down the line, but for now im happy :D

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Cheers! yeah theyre lovely, however im still a little fobbed off that after weeks of looking for secondhand ones and failing I eventually bit the bullet and bought brand new from Audi, only for a set to come up on ebay 2 days later for half the price haha! :eek:

Yeah certainly, so the unit itself costs around £250 or so which is a bit pricey but unlike other universal tuners this one fully integrates with the MMI, you can obviously still buy the OEM DAB unit but it only allows you to search DAB channels not DAB & DAB+ channels like the Kufatec unit.
If you dont have DAB at all from factory (like myself) you may need to buy an additional part "antenna module" which costs £90 from what i remember. You can check this by pulling the rear right pillar trim off (see photo attached) and having a look, if it only has one output like in the photo then you'll need to buy it.

As for the install, its pretty straight forward, just plug it all in and route the antenna cable however you see fit. Ill attach instructions.

Attachments

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Wow its been quite some time!
So over the past few months ive been having some problems with the motor, well A problem. it all started back in December last year when suddenly i started getting high RPM misfires all on one side of the engine (cylinders 5,6,7,8). I initially thought it might have been the bank 2 HPFP until i done a little more digging and realized that the HPFP's go to the same distribution block therefore ruling that one out. I then decided to replace all spark plugs and coil packs as a matter of due course but this never cured anything. Over time the misfires got worse until the car was virtually undrivable. After a month or so of work taking priority i eventually got around to doing a bit more diagnosing. I looked around on the audizine B8 S4 forums and found there was a whole thread dedicated to blown cat converters! It all made perfect sense so i decided to remove the 1st lamba sensor and get my borescope in to see if there was any damage/blockage, what I saw SHOCKED me, chunks of broken apart cat were just laying loose!!

Water Automotive tire Plant Petal Tread
Automotive tire Grey World Astronomical object Freezing
Water Fluid Finger Soil Concrete

After that discovery she was promptly shipped to a local exhaust shop to get them removed. In the end i straight piped the cat pipes and relocated some 200 cell sports cats further down the exhaust for ease of access which are also removable with a straight through set of pipes for when i want to go full asbo! :p

Leg Musical instrument Gas Bell Human leg
Shoe Leg Light Tire Wheel
Black Musical instrument Wood Automotive exhaust Hand tool
Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Gas Nickel Metal
Household hardware Nickel Gas Cylinder Metal
Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Now fast forwarding to the Easter holidays i noticed an oil leak coming from the valley of the engine, or more specifically the oil filter housing O rings! Unfortunately for me this meant tearing down the supercharger to gain access and renew them, I decided I might as well make a full job of it and do a carbon clean, renew the valve cover gaskets as one was weeping oil and send off the injectors for some much needed love.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Metal Rim

Teardown almost complete, you can see all the oil residue down the right hand side of the valley, left a right mess down the front of engine as well, ill look forward to cleaning that later :( i had already replaced the seals/O rings at this point but forgot to get pics. After that it was time to do the carbon clean!

Brown Wood Automotive tire Gas Font
Nose Glasses Head Eye Sunglasses

Can you believe this is only 25000 miles of build up! MENTAL! should regain a few lost BHP once shes all put back together! ill post the after shots at a later date as i never took any.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Household hardware
Gear Engineering Auto part Automotive tire Machine

Still looking very fresh under the covers for a 14 year old car with 103000 miles on the clock! :D

So as of now im just waiting for my injector removal tool to be delivered as i managed to snap one of them when trying to remove with picks and pry bars aha, they're in there bloody tight that's for sure. Also just waiting on a few gaskets and O rings from TTS Performance so i can reassemble the supercharger!

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

And here she is looking all sorry for herself! what a pig of a job this has turned out to be haha! Updates to follow in the coming weeks!

· Registered
147 Posts
It's a lot of engine to work on for sure. Hopefully with all this work it will be leak free for tears to come.
I recently had to do some expensive work on my V8 as well, but worth it in the end.

Regarding the cats, I had exactly the same issue with rhe APR SC. I think it ends up burning the cells, I had to replace when I first purchased it.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yeah hopefully! They’re pretty reliable beasts but they’re now getting to that age where all the rubber and plastic parts become brittle and fail. Oh really, anything major? Or just labour intensive work?

yeah I think it’s quite common for them to fail on the forced induction B8s. Did you go OEM replacement or straight pipe?

· Registered
147 Posts
First replacement was high spec cats (can't remember what brand, but expensive) and they only lasted over a year before burnt out.. so now decatted....

New pulley and timing chain and any hoses that needed doing were done. Just gave me a piece of mind that car would continue to last.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
NOTHING IS EVER EASY!
So after nearly 2 weeks of waiting my injector removal tool arrived so i could crack on and get the injectors removed and sent off for a refurb, unfortunately what i perceived as being a rather simple job turned into a horror show, 2 injectors where removed without fuss, 4 got destroyed during removal and the other 2 decided that they wanted to test my mechanical skills and break in half revealing this....

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

After an hour of feeling sorry for myself i got back to work and with an ingenious plan in mind.

• drill through the center hole with a 4.2mm bit
  • Thread with a M5 tap
  • screw in a M5x80mm bolt
  • Attack it with the injector slide hammer

The top plate with the 4 small holes in turned out to be hardened steel and 30 mins with a regular cobalt bit had barely put a scratch on it, so off i went to screwfix to buy some heavy duty carbide bits that thankfully cut through them like butter. In the end my plan worked and and my 2022 holiday fund has remained somewhat unscathed for now, although i have just had to purchase 8 new OEM injectors for £2000 o_O but that is still a hell of a lot better then whatever scandalous bill would have graced my ears if i couldn't remove them and had to get the car sent off to remove the heads!!

Few photos of victory. (minus the shattered injectors lol).

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Eyewear Wood
Fluid Automotive tire Nickel Cylinder Gas
Hand Automotive tire Tire Fluid Nail
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Wood Vehicle brake
Font Wood Auto part Nut Metal

Hopefully the car will be back together again next weekend! Here's me hoping!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Water Meth install

Got the mod itch again and decided to install an AEM V3 water methanol kit it keep the AITs down and maybe in the future squeeze a few more HP out of her after tuning it in. Install was an absolute breeze and I can honestly say this was probably the most enjoyable job ive done. I managed to install this using the OEM washer fluid tank instead of the supplied reservoir which in turn probably halved the install time.

So to start me off I routed the wiring harness up through the ECU box alongside my boost/vacuum hose from the P3 gauge.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Trunk

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive design

Now as you probably know the engine bays on these cars are pretty cramped and even more so with the supercharger and all its auxiliary parts. To that end i needed to fabricate a bracket to mount the water pump which i bolted onto the
charge cooler pump mounting. I'll probably give it a lick of paint in the future but it will suffice for now. :cool:

White Camera accessory Camera lens Gas Cameras & optics
Shoe Black Sleeve Finger Thigh

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Grille Automotive lighting Hood

To be continued..... Im tired :p

41 - 60 of 67 Posts