Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was leaving Staff Duty today heading home when I noticed a crack on the Shifter! When I say cracked, I mean the clear piece that covers the shifter sequence. No photos yet, will try to get some here later.

It was a bit of a warm day here in Texas (the car reported 110 degrees), but come on!

:(

·
Registered
90 Posts
That definitely isnt good news! I am receiving my A5 on Monday and its 125F the last couple of days here! How good is the air conditioning at 110F?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was leaving Staff Duty today heading home when I noticed a crack on the Shifter! When I say cracked, I mean the clear piece that covers the shifter sequence. No photos yet, will try to get some here later.

It was a bit of a warm day here in Texas (the car reported 110 degrees), but come on!

:(
did u p b4 u left? Maybe that had something to do with it. We don't get that heat here so I hope you figure it out. I can't believe it got that hot inside the car to do that. I would think that those plastics can handle 200' or more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That definitely isnt good news! I am receiving my A5 on Monday and its 125F the last couple of days here! How good is the air conditioning at 110F?
I think the AC system is OK for the car. Could be better, could be a lot worse; as far as function goes.

Called the Dealership today, hoping they will just order the parts needed for repair and not have me setup the appointment, they look at it, say its broke, order it, leave, come back, and install it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You should be able to just roll up to the service department grab the first adviser you see and show him...if it something obvious, they _shouldn't_ give you a hard time...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gearstick Cap Cracked

Yesterday I noticed that the clear plastic cap on top of my gearstick had cracked in many places, making it impossible to read out the gear markings.

After initially blaming my wife and her rings, the only thing I can think that caused it could have been the heat inside the car causing the cap to expand and crack. It has been around 30°C for several weeks and my car sits outside all day.

The part is on order from Audi, but was just wondering if anyone else had seen the same behaviour?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The part is on order from Audi, but was just wondering if anyone else had seen the same behaviour?
Yes, two other forum members have reported this same issue. It seems the cause may be heat related.

(I have merged your thread with the existing one on the same topic.)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Almost all cars that are delivered to that reagion are gulf spec cars. Meaning that all components in the car, including the A/C, are designed to work in constant 125 degree weather, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yea, I guess it should be fine. Its been 48C last week for a few days. My car hasnt really cracked up yet! The AC is fine. Much better than I expected from a German vehicle. Most american vehicles delivered here (with Gulf/GCC specs) dont really live up to expectations. The same goes for some European cars. I am quite glad that I got my car without the panoramic brainwarmer/sunroof!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just noticed that mine is cracked too, in a circle all the way around the top of the knob. It's not nearly as hot here as in the other places in this thread (rarely over 30C), so I don't think I can blame the weather. My dealer took some photos to send to Audi and I should hear next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep - happened to me - look familiar? - started off small and got gradually worse, Audi ordered the part and replaced it under warranty - took about 5 minutes for the service tech to change it out. Happened before the summer, so i don't think it's temp related -

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep - happened to me - look familiar? - started off small and got gradually worse, Audi ordered the part and replaced it under warranty - took about 5 minutes for the service tech to change it out. Happened before the summer, so i don't think it's temp related -
That looks familiar. You're right about it getting worse-this is what mine looks like today:

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
shifters

So... I am going in Tuesday. Anyone who has a new one seeing cracks again?
S.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.