Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the garage (apartment garage) today to take the car for a ride into town. When I approach the car it looks kinda different... I get up close and the whole car is covered with white powder/dust. My first thought was I'm gonna kill somebody, don't know who or why, but someone has to die. That's the circle of life.

Well I take a closer look at the dust and can't really figure out what it was. Then some neighbour walks up to me and tells me some kids sneaked into the garage and emptied a fire extinguisher on the cars. They did it on a couple of cars but from the looks of it they concentrated on mine, they covered it from tip to toe :mad:

Well I rinsed it off and cleaned it, but I don't know if it has damaged the paint or other details of the car. Does anybody know if there are chemicals in a fire extinguisher (pulver type, not foam I guess) that could damage a car?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm actually so mad right now even though it's not even my car haha. I totally feel your pain even though I don't know you. Please excuse cursing on this forum this one time, those little fucking bitch ass fools stupid as dumbass little immature fucks.I think I would flip if they did that to my A5 :mad: I would probably have a case on my hands for assault and battery. Anyways is your car damaged? Does your apartment have security? If so, they should have security with video surveillance

·
Registered
483 Posts
Feel your pain man. I am in the same situation as you - in a condo garage. I am paranoid and I go check on the car at least a couple times a day to make sure that it's fine even though it's right in front of a surveillance camera.

As for the chemicals, if they rinse off fine and do not leave any residue, you are probably ok.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would check under the bonnet, make sure no powder got into the engine or filters.

Bad news and I hope those who did it have some suitable payback at some time.

Its still fear that some envious idiot will decide that my cars paintwork needs altering.

Hope you cars ok.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nightmare !! It wont damage your car, we had an extinguisher drop off the wall and let itself off in one of our car showrooms over night. Everything including the new cars interiors was coverered in white powder in the morning, apart from the hassle it cleaned up just fine. I'd get your car down to the local jet wash and give it a blast.

Can imagine how you felt though !

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your support guys, I felt so bad yesterday :)
It doesn't seem that the car has been damaged... so far.
It's as if I got married and three days later somebody violated my wife...

Blade, it's nice to get it confirmed that there's nothing to worry about. Fortunately it was only on the exterior.

There's a sign which states that there is video surveillance, I have to check with the superintendent. An extra walk to the garage for a check up is definately worth it from now on.

Cheers

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
feel for u mate, what a horrible sight that must have been.

but you can be quite relaxed, the agent in a power extinguisher is quite harmless.
NaHCO3, the ingredient in many powder extinguishers, is Baking Soda.
K2SO4, also used in powder ext., is a harmless salt, used as a dietary supplement in some "saltless" meals.
KHCO3 is also a salt, not really dangerous in any way.
(NH4)3PO4 not sure about that stuff, should give off ammonia smell and has phosphor in it, which is corrosive as far as i remember.
(NH4)2SO4 same here

the lower two are not commonly used in powder extinguishers as far as i can see ...

so just give it a good rinse with soap and you should be fine

·
Registered
54 Posts
Leon-you make me feel like I'm back in science class reviewing the chart of elements -lol

On the same note my wife and myself left my car at the Airport from Thursday-Monday and had a couple birds do there thing on my hood and roof. When i got home I immediately hosed it off. The damage was done>even with paint cleaners it could not eliminate the round circles in a few areas. Bottomline>don't wait-get the crap off quick---literally. No one else would notice the problem in the blk paint but me but I'm the only one that counts.

Your car should be fine
jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the soothing post Leon :)

JEFF, yea you're right. Birdie shit and insects splattered on the hood is something you should clean off immediately.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You scared me for a second. When I read the title of this thread I thought you had gotten into an accident.

I can't stand jerks who do this kind of crap. I'm glad it washed off without any ill effects. Hopefully what comes around goes around.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
eek, hope the talk with security goes well, if its supposed to be secure parking this kind of thing shouldnt happen, and although no damage was done next time, whats to stop them getting in again? Make sure you satisfied with measures taken to prevent it happening again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts