Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

First post on the forum, and I'm very happy to be here! I picked up my new-to-me 2015 Sportback yesterday, with only 21,000 miles on the clock. It's a beautiful machine and making the transition from my Seat Leon FR to this has been... well, eye opening to say the least!

Here's a pic. Apologies for clumsy numberplate obfuscation!

However, something that wasn't apparent on either of the two test drives that has since become apparent over a drive today is a slight pull to the left under load, which increases under heavy-ish braking. I could have sworn I tested both these things, but perhaps I just missed it. Who knows.

It's not dangerous by any means, but I'm curious as to what you think some causes could be? Tracking? Alignment? Sticky caliper? It passed its MOT recently and was last serviced in September by the previous owner. I'm having the front tyres replaced next week because they are worn somewhat on the outside edges on both sides of the car, so I'm getting an alignment done too.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I admit that wheels and suspension are not my best areas of knowledge, but wear on the outer edges of the tyres seems bizarre to me. I have a 2015 S5 with 20K and I got new tyres last year. They could have lasted a bit longer apart from the fact that the rear tyres were a bit too worn for my liking on the inside edges (the fronts too but not as bad as the yearly rotation hadn't quite evened the wear across all 4 tyres). It was the same with my B5 S4 and it is my understanding is this is because the wheels are slightly tilted inwards (proof of my lack of knowledge as I don't know the correct term) to give 'performance' handling on cornering. So I can indeed imagine that your car has alignment issues.

Also are they Pirelli tyres? In my experience they tramline badly when worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dippy, thanks for the reply. Yes, I know. Odd wear pattern to me too - definitely something amiss with the camber I think.

They are also slightly mismatched too - on the back there are Continental Sport Contact 5Ps, and on the front Sport Contact 3s. So as the back are fine, I'm going to replace with Sport Contact 5Ps on the front too. Hopefully that goes some way to correcting it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi Joe and welcome,
It could well be an alignment of tracking issue, more likely it you've hit a big pothole perhaps.
It could just be something small like an underinflated tyre. Have you checked the pressure's?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi fellow Joe! Yeah, pressures seem fine. Having gone out and taken another look, the tyres are definitely on the edge of the legal limit, so I'm glad I'm getting them changed next week.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Most places offer a free alignment check when you have tyres so worth a check. BUT bear in mind some places also tell you it needs adjusting and charge you for it without actually adjusting anything! Which happened to a friend of mine recently.
Chesterfield kwikfit! To name and shame the thieving c#*+s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, had a bad time with Kwik Fit before. Going to a good indy a few miles away instead. Have a chap who apparently knows his way around quattros which is handy!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You want a full geometry check done. I've had mine done as when I bought my S5, the front inside tyres were worn. They will cost around £100-200.

They check toe, caster and camber angles and is all done with lasers, mirrors, cameras and smoke ;)

Mine is straight now, but does still suffer from tram-lining, but as Dippy says, it has the original fit spec Pirellis! :) It is funny to see, but when I drive on tram lines (Manchester Metro) it literally steers with the rails. It's a strange feeling! :D

As they are 245 tyres, the wider the wheel, the more tramlining can be apparent.

Kwik-Fit, are those monkeys still going!!!?? I last went there in my girlfriend's Metro 20 years ago and they jacked it up underneath the fuel tank!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the tip, Dave.

Mine's running 265 width tyres on the 20" rims. Certainly the largest tyres I've ever run on a car before!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to this, couple new Conti Sport Contact 5s and full geometry check fixed this issue. Car drives like a dream now, but those fuel consumption figures are a bit ambitious eh!?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Car drives like a dream now, but those fuel consumption figures are a bit ambitious eh!?
Hi Joe, and welcome . I am not sure on the figures quoted but I never saw more than 320 miles on 60 ltrs of 99 fuel when my car was running std power

·
Registered
534 Posts
they are rather trusty engines for normal/town commuting and quite pleasant on motorways, just done a trip to Manchester which was around 320miles on full tank, so quite spot on there mr. Red ;)
my normal daily route is around 3miles(both ways) and that unfortunately gets me around 120m per 25l of fuel or thereabouts
if not a secret how much did you pay for yours(curious about where they are in terms of prices now)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts