Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I got my S5 about 4 month ago, it was a brithday gift from my dad. Brave of him to give a 16 year old kid a car like that. Needless to say, I love this car. Therefore I joined this site both to learn more about my car, and to enquire a few things about my car.
First, I spoted that my tailpipe is collecting black substance on the bottom of the exhaust tip. Hence, I would like to ask if anyone can inform me on how to clean my tailpipe.
Second, it is winter in boston. Thus, is the stock P-zero tires sufficient for the winter weather? Or shall I buy the winter tires from the dealership?
Lastly, I was thinking of putting a body kit on my car, is it worth it? Should I do this or is this considered a sacrilege?
Note: In the US, 2012 S5 is still the old shape, they will introduce the new one next year here.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
"Audi S5", "Birthday gift from Daddy", "16yr old"...

I think it's safe to say that 99% of this site hates you. :)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
For real?

America... =/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Congratulation on your new S5. I lived in Boston for 2 years in the 90's and now live in Michigan. Your stock summer tires will definitely not be drivable when it snows, especially with the Noreaster. Below are 2 options:

1 - change your tires to all-season tires; I chose this option and went with Michelin Sport A/S plus 255/35-19

2 - buy a new set of wheels plus a new set of winter tires; some tire retailers will store your tires/wheels for you and you'll just need to swap your wheels twice every year. I did not go with this option due to higher cost and having to visit the tire shop twice per year. This may be a good option for you if you are able to change your own wheels.

John

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Congrats...honestly a safe well handling car but it is quite a bit of power for a new driver. Be safe. Yellow has it right on rubber. Tips are spent...get new ones, the oem ones are puny. Get (4) 3.5" tips...will look nice and aggressive. NO body kit imo. Spend that money on some lowering springs and wheel spacers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thanks a lot for the advice on the tires. I am still looking for a way to clean my tailpipes. I tried water, but it doesn't work. And I know I am lucky to get this motor as my first car.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
For the tips you can use oven cleaner, metal polish, intensive auto polish, bug scraper matched with simple green and sos pad with simple green. With oven cleaner let sit for about a minute rub and wash. Then follow with a metal polish.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congrats...honestly a safe well handling car but it is quite a bit of power for a new driver.
Agreed! No offense, your dad is off his rocker to give his 16 year old a 2012 Audi S5. :no: :wall:

That being said, I wish you luck with it!! :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congrats...honestly a safe well handling car but it is quite a bit of power for a new driver. Be safe. Yellow has it right on rubber. Tips are spent...get new ones, the oem ones are puny. Get (4) 3.5" tips...will look nice and aggressive. NO body kit imo. Spend that money on some lowering springs and wheel spacers.
Hey Mopsta, couple of questions if you woudnt mind...

What will the tips do for the stock exhaust or is it simply appearance? Which exhaust tips manufacturer/place to buy them, do you recommend. Are they easy to install?

Regarding spacers and springs... What will the spacers and springs do when it comes to my 2012 S5's stock suspension. And again, which manufacturer/place to buy as well which spacers do you recommend for the front/rear.

Do you think Audi would install springs and the spacers when my wheels are swapped after the winter season is over?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Tips will do nothing for sound or performance. I got mine from hottexhaust.com. Magnaflow double wall tips. You could do (4) 3.5" tips...would look great. Have a pix from another member that just did this....pm email if you would like pix. Install is just cut and weld...simple. Springs give a better stance and better handling. Spacers are asthetics only. H&R OE springs are great (keep nice ride quality) and H&R 15mm front/20mm rear give a nice look. You can get these from achtuning.com. Great service and they can answer any questions you have. Ask for Skyler and tell him Ben Pagett refered you. Do NOT have audi do this. It will cost 2 times what it should. Spacers are childs work and springs can be done by any auto shop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the S5 owner's club! :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Tips will do nothing for sound or performance. I got mine from hottexhaust.com. Magnaflow double wall tips. You could do (4) 3.5" tips...would look great. Have a pix from another member that just did this....pm email if you would like pix. Install is just cut and weld...simple. Springs give a better stance and better handling. Spacers are asthetics only. H&R OE springs are great (keep nice ride quality) and H&R 15mm front/20mm rear give a nice look. You can get these from achtuning.com. Great service and they can answer any questions you have. Ask for Skyler and tell him Ben Pagett refered you. Do NOT have audi do this. It will cost 2 times what it should. Spacers are childs work and springs can be done by any auto shop.
Thanks for the info. I don't trust my car at any mechanic shop, and I don't know how to weld. I was hoping the tips would be easier to install. Also sounds like I'll void a warranty if I go cutting off the stock tips. Damn :(

As for the springs and spacers, I'll definitely consider it when the wheels are swapped.

I have a really good in with my dealer, I'll try them first but not until the winter season is over.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I have buddies in your area that can let me know of some good performance shops you can take your car to and have any of this done. The shops that work with high end cars daily and will care for it better than the dealer. Also, replacing tips will not void anything in your warranty. Let me know if you would like me to find some shops.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have buddies in your area that can let me know of some good performance shops you can take your car to and have any of this done. The shops that work with high end cars daily and will care for it better than the dealer. Also, replacing tips will not void anything in your warranty. Let me know if you would like me to find some shops.
Absolutely indeed. Feel free to private message me when in fact you do find them. Thanks and Happpy Holidays! :cheers:

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
I got my S5 about 4 month ago, it was a brithday gift from my dad. Brave of him to give a 16 year old kid a car like that. Needless to say, I love this car. Therefore I joined this site both to learn more about my car, and to enquire a few things about my car.
First, I spoted that my tailpipe is collecting black substance on the bottom of the exhaust tip. Hence, I would like to ask if anyone can inform me on how to clean my tailpipe.
Second, it is winter in boston. Thus, is the stock P-zero tires sufficient for the winter weather? Or shall I buy the winter tires from the dealership?
Lastly, I was thinking of putting a body kit on my car, is it worth it? Should I do this or is this considered a sacrilege?
Note: In the US, 2012 S5 is still the old shape, they will introduce the new one next year here.
Welcome & Congrats on the S5! +1, No body kit imo either, springs and a nice set 20's if you want an aggressive yet smooth look, take Bader.Abbas's car as a great example :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm reminded of a 16 year old that got an M5 and was asking questions on the bmw board.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Would your dad be interested in adoption? Try borla tail pipe cleaner with 0000 steel wool. Be carful this car can be a handful. Happy birthday

1 - 20 of 31 Posts