Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am finally the proud owner of a new S5 Brilliant Black, Black leather, Carbon, Tech, Nav, B&O. I ordered this car last summer when the first dealer orders were allowed (Sunnyside Audio, Cleveland). It is my first Audi, although I have been an admirer for some time. My previous car was a 2004 Volvo S60R (300 HP, 6MT, AWD) – a good car in many ways and a royal pain in others. Before that a couple of Saabs and previously 3 RX7s, a 350 ZX Twin-Turbo and various other things. These days I have to be able to drive in all weather situations and sometimes have kids in the back seat.

I have included some photos and will be happy to take any particular shots people would like to see.

The car is beautiful and the finish is quite good. Advanced key works very well. I have not had any issues with locking and unlocking while keeping the key in my pocket. Interior is, of course, superb. I’m a bit worried about leather wear on the driver seat edge from getting in and out. Drivers seat is very good. I find that I have to keep it further forward than I expect due to the fairly deep clutch. I’m 6-foot and often drive other cars with the seat virtually all the way back – not so here. This does have the side effect of giving a little legroom to whatever small person might sit behind me. I have the steering wheel all the way in (forward) and this feels good. The steering wheel itself has a great surface and is very comfortable to hold.

The shifter is good but not great. I suppose it may improve and, of course, I’ll get more used to it. The shifters of the 2 demo cars I drove didn’t feel identical to one another. I found one of them to be quite good, one was a little difficult with 2nd, and mine sometimes feels less than perfect going into 2nd or 3rd. Not a big deal, especially if it improves.

The Headlights are very good. They were lousy on my S60R so I might be more sensitive than necessary. I can’t tell much about the adaptive lights. HVAC is very nice – especially that you can tweak it and so many other things in the MMI. I like the MMI although entering lots off addresses and such in the Directory is slow going. Unfortunately it won’t import addresses from the iPhone. Nav, based on playing with it fairly briefly, seems quite powerful.

Steering in general is good. The difference between the parking-lot, one finger, driving and the wheel on the road is rather extreme. Maybe too soft at slow speed. I haven’t done any extreme driving yet but so far I like the steering better than I thought I might based on the various reviews. The suspension also feel excellent so far. I find it to be an excellent tradeoff between comfort and performance. It would have been nice for this to be adjustable but I wasn’t interested in waiting around for that.

Mileage so far is around 14 MPG and I’ve been driving fairly modestly (175 miles). Engine sound is beautiful. I often turn off the stereo just to listen to the heart-beat of the V8. Given a choice I wish it were just slightly louder but I love what I hear.

The B&O is really outstanding – especially for the rather modest additional cost. I’m a sometimes recording engineer (Classical music) and am very critical of the usual rock-and-roll car stereo. The B&O has wonderful clarity and soundstage. I have installed an iPod which works wonderfully although scrolling around 70 gigs worth of music on the MMI doesn’t yet feel “native.” That said, it is a very useful interface and the sound is excellent. I am also using my iPhone which works like a charm. The integration and quality of sound (at least in the car) is great.

I could go on but you have all heard this stuff before….do let me know if you have any specific questions regarding my car/experience.

Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Congratulations on getting your S5! Thanks for that very thorough write-up and taking the time to share your initial impressions of the car. I'm sure others on here will appreciate it as well. Based upon what you wrote, it sounds like it was well worth the wait. Great photos too! I particularly like the shot of the front end. Happy driving! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very nice car, enjoy her. I have a question though... judging from your pictures, the carbon in the center console seems a bit yellow? Do you think it's just your camera? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings - the carbon is really rather gray/silver in color. In my photos the sun was low and it showed a bit yellow. I'm using a Nikon D2X so it isn't the camera's fault. I'll try to get a good pic that accurately captures the color. I do wish it was a bit blacker than it is but it works something like a metallic paint which changes hue depending on lighting.

ml

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ahh I see, well thanks. I guess tinting the windows would help in this case; this would also be the trim for me if I get my hands on a S5. I appreciate your pictures and hopefully you give us another review after the break-in. :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nice pics Michael and congrats. Having lived in North Royalton, I'm certain the AWD will work well for you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I hate you too, how beautiful is that thing.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Strange that it looks yellow in the pic, tried to take a shot of mine but looks different every time, this is closest.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Congrats on the motor...looks real nice. Brilliant black is by far my favourite colour of black. The deep shine it has after a wash n wax is unbeatable.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
looks the same as Phantom to me !!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
looks the same as Phantom to me !!
There is actually quite a difference, I know this first had as my friend has a phantom black RS4 and I have a brilliant black A4 and when both sit next to each other it is very obvious that the brilliant black has a distinctively deeper shine to it.

Its made even more obvious after both cars are washed n waxed as this really brings the shine out.

This actually tends to be the case with all non-metallic paints.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Very nice writeup.

On your nav issue, just be sure to save your destinations after you input them once so you can quickly bring them back up again. I now have 5 or 6 addresses saved and it makes life alot easier....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
shinier than my Phant, nah not poss :)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Nice shot, Blade. I understand the theory though. I've thought so much about ordering black (and only Brilliant is available for A5 S-Line here) that I've pondered this. If you base the "shininess" on reflection, it does seem like you'll get more with Brilliant because you have no metallic flakes (or whatever) to break up the reflection or do their own thing versus a pure reflection. Sort of like throwing glitter on a mirror...??

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Cheers only taken with a camera phone!! But surely the depth of shine is greater with a metallic on the basis that it has a clear coat ?? I can imagine Brilliant Black being slightly deeper in direct sunlight but truthfully I can't believe there is much in it. I need to see one before I'm convinced.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Both are great - lets not get into a pissing contest to see which black is shinier or nicer.... Pictures will communicate different effects based on light, so it's not like we're going to have any subjective comparison anyways...

I will add however that black suits the car very well, in my mind much better than the Meteor Grey. I'd be interested in seeing some nice shots of a Quartz grey S5, and if anyone has the custom paint option, would love to see one in Daytona Grey - other than the ones posted from the show... (my favorite)...

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Argh - don't do that to me S5France! I need to peek at Avus Silver again too. I love silver (and think it does show the lines best)...I just want a change after 10 years of silver.

Anyway, I don't think it will be a pissing match. This is an extremely mature board compared to some others I've seen. Seems like people can debate things in a reasonable manner around here. And I'm just talking about the effect...both black are great..just different type of depth.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The Brilliant Black in my view is the far shinier black based on viewing it on other Audi's at the dealership. The gloss on the Brilliant is incredible.

The drawback is that it will show dirt, scratches, and swirls that much more because of the less glossy and more busy paint scheme on the Phantom.

Both are nice and have their advantages/disadvantages....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Well said....

Both are great - lets not get into a pissing contest to see which black is shinier or nicer.... Pictures will communicate different effects based on light, so it's not like we're going to have any subjective comparison anyways...
Lighting has a big impact, and to be honest each to their own...whatever colour you prefer stick with it. At the end of the day its personal choice.

This - "Brilliant black is by far my favourite colour of black. The deep shine it has after a wash n wax is unbeatable." was only me giving my opinion on which black i prefer, no intention was made that it was superior to Phantom black if thats how it seemed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sorry Michael we went off topic a bit there, happens from time to time. Anyway welcome to the site and congrats on the new car bud, it looks great.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts