Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...I haven't got any review yet, because I have not even driven or seen the thing in person. However, the excitement just keeps growing. I certainly did not sleep much last night!

Anyways, enjoy the pics from my saleslady as much as I am. I will have a decent review tomorrow.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Audi a5
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Automotive design

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my first thoughts too!!! Who the heck is in MY car!!! I think it's all the sale's guys (mostly). Anyways, I'll be there in just a few hours. Later all.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I still find it hard to believe Audi wouldn't put the Sport seats in the non S-Line US A5. Looking forward to some confirmation...

oh, and enjoy the drive home! let us know what song you played first :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Amazing looking man, First car in the country as far as I know!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow Wow Wow!!!

Ok....I'm in the office. I so would prefer to take the day off and do nothing but drive around!

I can not say WOW enough...WOW! It's soooo AMAZING! I had some high expectations for the price of this thing and to me they were more than met. In so many ways...WOW! :D <-- This was me the whole time driving there and back.

--------------------
Getting the new A5:
--------------------

Driving to the dealership.
Perhaps I just paint a small picture to describe this best. I had to drive about an hour and a half. I've already turned in the good ole huge Grand Caravan mini-van. So I have my wifes Honda Accord Hybrid 4-door.

I pick-up our son of 6 years old from school and get him some Wendy's to keep him satisfied. Go get my wife at work, then get stuck in just a little rush hour traffic. Once that open highway showed itself...well I just floored it! My wife the whole time I think was holding on to the seat with both hands screaming something at me :eek: . I think it was "slow down", but really wasn't paying any attention. I do remember my son in the back jumping up and down saying "cool daddy...go faster".

Well we got there in just about an hour.

Arriving at the dealership.
At this point my wife bolts out of the car to get away from me because I think she was about to kill me. My son follows her into the dealership forgetting his coat, so he was just cold.

Me, well that Aruba Blue A5 was parked outside with the 19" wheels. So I was out there staring and contemplating if I wanted it versus the Meteor Gray. I think the thought only took less than a second, just because the light blue was not for me.

I walk in and they were having some fancy party with a lot of food and a lot of beer. So, I'll bet you can all guess what I did first...Yep, very quickly grabbed a beer, shook my saleslady's hand, and got right into my new car! WOW!!! <-- First words out of my mouth.

Accepting my new A5.
Saleslady drove it around to the service department to get away from the crowd and put temp tags on it. The family and I meet the Sales Manager and go to his office. Sign a few paper and write them a check. I saw the big numbers, but all of that went by so fast. All I could think about was getting into my new car and driving!

Head over to the service department and go through the car. Some general stuff, certainly not everything! Few things that came up was:

• iPod Cable not there
  • First Aid kit not there
  • Gas tank was empty
  • Got a free Cargo Net
  • Getting free rubber matts (on order)
  • Could not get Remote Window code to take

Other TODO's:
  • Mud Flaps
  • Rear valence
  • Clear Bra
  • Tinting (35% Charcoal Grey)

A couple times our son closed the passenger door a bit too hard for my taste. So spent some time showing him and the wife how when you close the door, the window closes itself up. Therefore, shutting the door with a lot of force = BAD!!! This morning my son was taking his time closing the door. He had to try a couple times for it to properly shut.

Ok, so we all head back to the party while the saleslady goes and gets gas in our new car! I think my wife got a pepsi and of course I had another beer. WOW!!!

The wife was sitting and reading through the encyclopedia user manual and was going, "Wow, did you know you can do this...", "WOW, did you know you can do that...". Then I hear, "my car doesn't do that!" :cool: I think you could cut the jelousy at that moment with a knife! All I could say was, "Honey, please meet my second wife!" :eek:

Driving my new A5 Home.
Right before leaving, I grab a few things from the wifes trunk and throw them into the new car. Sign-off acceptance and get in. So first thing's first, "son, grab those towels and lay them out on the floor where your feet would go!"

I have not driven a manual transmission for over five years. So I spend just a few moments blocking my wife in while relearning some basics. Ok, I move forward a bit and wave my wife on so that I could follow her. She has a nav system and all she has to do is push the button and do what the computer says. Simple right? Well, no it apparently wasn't! :confused:

I pull out obviously jerking the car forward, but no stalls! WOW!!! I follow the wife not really paying attention to any signs or anything. We get onto the highway to very quickly find out she took the wrong freakin exit!!! WOW! :confused: (Women drivers - this would be a whole other discussion)

Ok, I'm relearning how to drive a manual transmission, the son is next to me bouncing off the walls eager to press any and all buttons around him, the wife and I are heading in the wrong direction, and she's throwing her arms up in the air! :confused:

I quickly pass her, which really wasn't too hard in the car I was in. :D WOW! Get onto a more familiar major highway. Then go into the nav system through the MMI and punch in our home address. From there, the car did the rest! This gives a lot of credit to the MMI system. I have never used it before and wasn't shown any of what I had just done! To very quickly do what I did while learning how to drive a stick shift tells you how easy the MMI system is to use! Many many kudo's goes to Audi for their MMI! WOW!

So we added another 30 minutes to our drive home. Believe me, I really did not mind at all! :D So the son was asking me constantly, what that button does and what this button does. At one point I think I told him that that button will make the car self-destruct! :eek: His hand quickly went back in his lap after that.

The drive home was truly a joy!!! Loved every minute of it!!! Got about 28 mpg over a 275 mile stretch which used up about 1/4 of the gas in the tank. So it must be a small gas tank.

...a more detailed review of the car to follow, but for now simply WOW!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
WOW indeed, Arvin! That was a great read! I'm sure it will be followed by photos sans some-random-dude-in-your-car and fluorescent lighting ;)

Glad they moved your car. I'm picturing people hanging around it with beer bottles and chip-greased hands!

The bits about your son could have only been better if you called him "the boy" :)

No ipod cable!? That'll be bad news for me. How am I going to play my first song on the way home!?

Sure wish my drive was a long as yours :D

Congrats again!! Was just about to post a message about where the heck you were....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks...

RE: iPod cable, talk with your sales guy to get it ordered ahead of time so that it's available when you do pick up your car. Mine will be in in just a few days.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Arvin, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading that! :) The wait is finally over for you … hard to believe I'm sure. I can imagine that you're probably still pinching yourself in disbelief that you actually own this car. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You mentioned that one of your "To Do's" is to get the rear valence. Have you been able to confirm yet whether you'll be able to replace just the rear valence without having to also replace/install an entire new rear bumper like the S-line has?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Arvin, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading that! :) The wait is finally over for you … hard to believe I'm sure. I can imagine that you're probably still pinching yourself in disbelief that you actually own this car. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You mentioned that one of your "To Do's" is to get the rear valence. Have you been able to confirm yet whether you'll be able to replace just the rear valence without having to also replace/install an entire new rear bumper like the S-line has?
Yeah, actually I just now did. The rear diffuser is for an A5 3.2 S-Line model for $125 plus tax and installation. The mudflaps are $255, so am seeing what kind of discount I could get on these.

Gripping stuff! Thanks!! ;)
Thanks bud...

I have school tonight/tomorrow and stuff going on on Friday...So I'll try and post more pictures this weekend. Will work on that detail review of the car too in-between.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Yeah, actually I just now did. The rear diffuser is for an A5 3.2 S-Line model for $125 plus tax and installation. The mudflaps are $255, so am seeing what kind of discount I could get on these.

I have school tonight/tomorrow and stuff going on on Friday...So I'll try and post more pictures this weekend. Will work on that detail review of the car too in-between.
The valence is only $125 and the mudguards (they don't seem to flap these days ;)) are more than twice that!? That's bizarre. I want the mudguards (didn't even think they were available yet), so I hope that is at least installed.

Thanks for the advice on ordering the ipod cable in advance...crazy that you have to when they push that feature. I saw that happening with our UK brethren as well.

Looking forward to the further review...especially how that 3.2fsi drives! Buncha 4.2 and 3.0TDI'ers around here! ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Arvin,
Awesome writeup on the experience. On the iPod cable it is the same as on the A6 so my dealer had one in stock. Double check with them vs. waiting for one to come in.

One the fuel tank I find the first and last 1/4 on the gauge go very quickly. While the middle 1/2 goes more slowly. Same was true on my last car.

I love the comments from your wife. Mine was similarly impressed. I will have to use the self destruct button for my kids also.

Question about having your 6 year old in the car. Was he in the front seat? Did he have a booster seat? Was the airbag off or on? Weight of child? Reasons for my questions is I think I want to have my boy in the front seat when I take him to school. He is a skinny 10 year old but the time I had him in the front seat in the driveway it turned on the airbag. I do not think this would be good in the event of a collision. Of course it is only 25mph roads to school.

Can you confirm that US cars are to have the first aid kit. I thought US cars did not have them.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.