Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just wanted to update everyone on how things have been with my new car in the first couple days of ownership. I got a call on Sunday that the car had been dropped off at the dealership. I left Monday morning to pick it up, and spent the afternoon taking care of the paperwork and being shown the car. Finally, I drove back that evening, putting a comfortable 250 miles on the car to start breaking it in.

So far, I've only gotten to drive it around on Tuesday, going to work and then cruising around a little in the evening. Unfortunately, I'm now in Atlanta and will be here (separated from my new toy) until Sunday. But after just a couple days of bonding with the car, I can provide a few first impressions:

- I have very little to complain about the car, and none of it is anything substantial. I have decided that a few things could have been done better in the MMI related to the radio and iPod operation. But interface preferences are a matter of opinion anyway. I'm not a fan of the second front cupholder being undersized. But these kinds of things are trivial, and anything remotely important about the car is top notch in every way.

- The seats are supremely comfortable, and the driving position is a great as any car I've ever had the peasure of sitting in. I think I could easily stay planted in the driver's seat for some insanely long road trips and never complain. Even 4 hours at the end of a long day was a breeze. This car is truly a shining example of what a grand tourer should be.

- The B&O stereo is simply awesome. At one point I decided to try to turn up the volume until the sound tuned to crap, but I had to stop before the decibels made my ears bleed. Even cranked as loud as I could stand, it was clear and sweet. Easily worth every penny.

- Also worth every penny is the technology package. The backup camera is even better than I expected; the picture is great, and should be very useful. I was surprised at how well it worked at night, easily amplifying the reverse lights to make dark pavement visible. The awesomeness of the advanced key goes without saying, and could never get old. And while I've barely gotten a chance to see the adaptive lights in action, I think they will prove to be an asset.

- I got even better than expected gas mileage on the way home. I haven't filled up yet to check the computer. But if it can be believed, I averaged 30.8 mpg on the highway trip home. Not bad at all for a new engine that hasn't even broken in yet.

- Meteor Gray is a great color. I knew this back when I ordered it, thanks to seeing Arvin's car. But now that I've seen it in some more varied lighting conditions, I'm even more enamored with it. It's quite a complex color, and takes on different charactersitics easily.

That's about it for now. I wish I coud say more about the driving dynamics or something, but I've had so little chance to put it through its paces. I'm sure I'll have more to report on once I'm reunited with my car and can spend more time with it. But it's as good as I could have hoped for, and that's saying a lot.

Finally, here are a couple pics I was able to snap the other day. Nothing anyone hasn't seen before, but how can I not share?

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
congrats on the new car - looks great!! Now go out and drive it!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is indeed very quiet. But I'm very happy with that. I've just come from a car with a loud performance cat-back exhaust, and I'm done with the whole thing. It's nice to be able to cruise in quiet confort for once. Maybe I'll start to miss it one day, but no time soon.

I did take one not so great picture of the interior...see below. I'll get more posted one day.

And Pete, I'd love to get out and drive it right now. If only it weren't 500 miles away. :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Grats, dave! That's horrible that you were separated so early on...that would drive me nuts! 30.8 mpg??! Did you drive downhill the whole way? ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats! for the gas mileage, that what I go for the first couple of weeks.... i'm probably getting 26 on highway.... well I'm off to do another 3 hour roadtrip! rides and drives like a dream!

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is indeed very quiet. But I'm very happy with that. I've just come from a car with a loud performance cat-back exhaust, and I'm done with the whole thing. It's nice to be able to cruise in quiet confort for once. Maybe I'll start to miss it one day, but no time soon.

I did take one not so great picture of the interior...see below. I'll get more posted one day.

And Pete, I'd love to get out and drive it right now. If only it weren't 500 miles away. :(
congrats on the new car. Have you noticed the leather sagging in the front seat?

From the interior pic in your post and the buzz on the A5_OC, this seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you drive downhill the whole way? ;)
Nope, it's half hills and half flat. Zero net elevation change pretty much.

And WHAZN, you're saying you get less mileage now than when your engine was brand new? My experience (and everyone else, for that matter) would indicate that gas mileage should only go up through the break-in period. Have your driving habits changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I picked mine up 2 days ago and it kills me to sit at work all day not being able to drive it. I agree with the gas mileage. I've gotton as good as 32.4 so far which even though the average still comes out much lower is far better then I ever expected! Can't say enough good things about this car. It's absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Dave,

Congrats!!! Looks spot on like mine.

Anyway, yeah I got great gas mileage for the first few weeks and now it's probably around 22-24 city. Looks like you got Black interior...is it hot in there out of curiosity?

That small cup holder is pretty useless and if you try to put sunglasses up in the holder you will find another complaint there too. I bought smaller sunshades just to fit up in there. Oh yeah, when you pull out the arm rest, you will notice how much Audi didn't care much for that second small cup holder as it's covered over.

I got a small dent in mine recently, thanks to my 7 year old boy. Getting that knocked out tomorrow and then a detail job this Saturday. I will be sure to post some comparable pictures after that.

Again, congrats!

P.S. Were you at Best Buy over in Columbus yesterday? I parked right next to an almost exact replica of my car and was shocked. First I had seen in the area and just had to park next to it. Stopped to do a compare and of course, loved mine more!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
A tip about that second useless cupholder..or rather avoiding using it. If your passenger is a bit limber, you can pull down the armrest in the back and have them use the cupholders that pop out and end up almost at your elbow.

My sunglasses were practically made for that holder!

Sucks about the dent, Arvin. I'm sure you'll miss the boy. ;)
I had a bit of a ding...scraped my rear right wheel a bit on a curb at a retarded garage exit (horribly designed as evidenced by all the scrape marks everywhere!). My dealer noticed it when I brought the car in and fixed it good as new for a "mere" $150. Was worth it to get it back to perfect.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice looking A5

Hi Dave

Congratulations - it looks very sporty - I like the wheels a bit more than the standard S5 wheels which look really "open"

What tires came with it?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What tires came with it?
A5s in North America with 18" wheels (like Dave's) get Pirelli "P6 Four Seasons" tires, while 19" wheels come with Dunlop "SP Sport Maxx GT" tires.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Black interior...is it hot in there out of curiosity?
Haven't noticed too much, but I haven't had more than a couple sunny days with it. I'll have a better opinion in the summer. But I've always had dark interiors, so I'm already conditioned to the heat.

P.S. Were you at Best Buy over in Columbus yesterday?
Nope, not me. And I sure hope that wasn't my car, either. ;)

A5s in North America with 18" wheels (like Dave's) get Pirelli "P6 Four Seasons" tires
Yes they do, which is regrettable. These particular Pirellis just don't have a very good reputation. The same model is on our Eos, and after 10000 miles, it's starting to develop the infamous loudness that everyone complains about. According to the word on the street, P6's are only passable in wet and snow, nothing special in the dry, have poor treadwear, spend the last half of their life being annoyingly loud, and are prone to sidewall bubbles from even minor impacts. I'm in no hurry to replace them prematurely, but I can say that a different tire will be going on my car and my wife's when it's time.

I heard a rumor from a knowledgable source that VW and Audi are switching back to Continental for the models they currently equip with Pirelli. That renews a relationship from quite a while ago, and I for one am glad to see it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts