Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Meteor Grey S5 tip last Friday. What can I say that hasn't been said. Car is incredible. Performance is excellent...interior is...special. Car is beautiful and no picture I've seen truly conveys this adequately. Red interior is stunning. Car was waiting for me IN the showroom. (Another meteor grey S5 Manual sat behind mine, also in the showroom, waiting for its owner to arrive from California after ordering his months ago when he still worked in Baltimore.)

I had a problem with the car though...on the ride home realized that Nav system wasn't tracking movement or showing actual location. Zero satellites seen. After a non-productive trip back to the dealer the next day - Satureday (the needed Audi Tech suppor unavailable on the weekend), an 8 hour stay this past Tuesday ultimately fixed the problem. First the dealer removed and replaced the Nav unit from a new A5 on their lot, yielding no results...several hours later (after some communication with Audi Tech) yet ANOTHER new A5 (this one a meteor grey) was obtained from the lot and it's GPS antenna swapped out with mine. This did the trick, and all is well.

I have to say that even though they did what they should have, I still appreciate my dealer fixing my car without regard to the carnage of cannibalized A5s that were left behind.

BTW, the meteor grey A5 was beautiful as well.

One more comment. My car does not have power folding mirrors (well, the 6 o'clock mirror switch setting to do that is non-existant). Is this the case for all 2009 models now, or is this a consequence of having Audi Side Assist?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Welcome and congrats on becoming an S5 owner! :)

This question about folding mirros came up the other day in member SGTAngry's thread. (See details here.) The lack of folding mirrors does not appear to be due to having the Side Assist feature. It was confirmed by aerodave that his 2008 A5 has the folding mirror functionality along with the Side Assist feature. So, it appears that Audi may have just decided to remove the folding mirrors functionality for MY2009. The outstanding question is why? :confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
hey Txcarguy, just following up on this issue of no folding mirrors on the '09 models of the A5 and S5 in the US. It seems that this thread has gone quiet but I'd like to see if anyone has tried to manually fold the mirrors on their '09 models to see if the mechanism is still there, just disabled from the factory. I have used the folding mirrors on my '08 A5 since I got the car but after a software update from the dealer 2 weeks ago, it mysteriously disappeared off the MMI menu. The dealer could not explain why, as the software change did not mention anything about removing this function. I managed to find it using Vag-com and have my folding mirrors back again - WAHOO. I'd be interested to see if these Vag-com changes will work on any '09 models in the US.

·
Registered
491 Posts
hey Txcarguy, just following up on this issue of no folding mirrors on the '09 models of the A5 and S5 in the US. It seems that this thread has gone quiet but I'd like to see if anyone has tried to manually fold the mirrors on their '09 models to see if the mechanism is still there, just disabled from the factory. I have used the folding mirrors on my '08 A5 since I got the car but after a software update from the dealer 2 weeks ago, it mysteriously disappeared off the MMI menu. The dealer could not explain why, as the software change did not mention anything about removing this function. I managed to find it using Vag-com and have my folding mirrors back again - WAHOO. I'd be interested to see if these Vag-com changes will work on any '09 models in the US.
o gd please i hope it works! somebody please figure this out! :D:D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Which specific bytes/bits did you change? And under which module?
I'm assuming that motors/servos are not in the MY 2009...can't believe it would just be a software issue. Would like to have it though. I'll try to research a bit see what's difference in the guts are between 08 and 09

·
Registered
493 Posts
My car is MY2009 and I have no problems with the folding mirrors - I also have the Audi Side Assist... There is also a function on the MMI menu that can be changed and after I lock the car the mirrors always fold.. no idea what might be the reason for not having that function.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll get those Vag-Com settings to you tonight as I was away for the past couple of days with no access to my car. If the European models still have the retractable mirrors, I'd have to assume that the US models still have the mechanisms installed, just disabled. I can't see Audi building 2 different sets of mirrors - hang tight till I get these to you to try.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Frank

If you have the codes for the folding mirrors, please post. I am willing to try them on my '09 S5 with Side Assist.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is more than likely that Audi will build a car and not put in the extra wiring and motors etc. They have used this approach for a long time. Take for example the hill hold assist needs an extra three wires to the switch that is already there for the electro handbrake but have not out them in. Even etka shows different mirrors for folding and non folding versions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.