Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a 'sprint booster' on my s5. i've been reading some users who really thought this mod is not worth having... here's my first impressions:

when i first drove my s5 i had the felt that the gas pedal response was a little on the not-so-exciting side. i remember saying, this car is not 'as fast' as i had expected with the 4.2 engine! sure, on the highway the s5 can go faster and faster and even faster. now with the sprint booster i really get the feeling of that 'explosive' response from my gas pedal i wanted from a high performance car, uphill starts are so easy, downshifting heal/toe requires much smaller movements. i'm really loving the experience the car is giving me now. will continue to see how long term usage is like in the coming months:)

many users had given up on this product with complaints of higher gas consumption, and angry spouses, but if you can fine-tune your right foot technique, i'm sure nothing is at a disadvantage with the sprint booster.

would be interested to see any other s5's with sprint booster installed out there???

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I wasn't aware of this product existing, but based on what I understand, I'd agree it would be a good mod. Basically it changes the response curve of the TPS (throttle position sensor) so that the pedal has to travel less to get to full throttle. It doesn't actually add any power, but it changes the way the car 'feels'.

Back in the day, people would alter their throttle linkages to achieve exactly the same results. I was always wondering when someone would get around to making the same thing for drive by wire cars.

·
Registered
491 Posts
isnt this one of the reasons people get drive select? lol

Reactions: C99

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
isnt this one of the reasons people get drive select? lol
Possibly, but $300 is a lot cheaper than $3000, and if you're the type to get coilovers, you're throwing away most of the Drive Select system anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where do you get this and how easy is the install. I agree, coilovers and this are a better bet than drive select

·
Registered
491 Posts
Possibly, but $300 is a lot cheaper than $3000, and if you're the type to get coilovers, you're throwing away most of the Drive Select system anyway.
good point. i guess its not for everybody. but this does sound like a good mod. i would def have considered it if i knew about it before i ordered my car with drive select.

·
Registered
160 Posts
can I get this also? I have audi drive select....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Where do you get this and how easy is the install. I agree, coilovers and this are a better bet than drive select
Really? How do you come to that conclusion? I have had both the 2008 S5 and now 2009 S5 with Drive select and the more I "play" with the drive select the more impressed I am with it. I doubt the mods listed even begin to approach the versitility or the sophistication of drive select.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the Sprint Booster is attached to the gas pedal connection output, so all it does is amplify the pedal position. so this would not affect Drive Select in theory.....it depends on how heavy footed your technique is. when you are at 20% pedal travel the it kinda sends a 50%+ signal to the throttle position sensor, so it feels more powerful for the driver (who is doing less physical action with the foot!)
i'm loving the response right now, and although it doesn't add to the hp figures or acceleration times, i feel like i m driving a very powerful sports car, which the 4.2 engine is well known for. and that feeling is what we're after driving a sports car right? it ain't about pink slips as a street racer!
hope to report again after long term usage, maybe there's an april fool's trick that sends FULL THROTTLE when you least expect it and when your clutch pedal fails!!!!!! kekekekekekekekeke

·
Registered
70 Posts
neither of the two items you discuss here address the light steering sensation of the s5 you will most certainly feel without ADS. that's an important element to me that ADS addresses spot on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi joe! yeah, the local ABT importer stocks nearly all the different model sprint boosters for different cars, apart from a lot of VW's and BMW's installing these, there is a demand from japanese cars too. my sprint booster is model # BDD201 which i believe is for 2004+ audi manual transmission vehicles although i think i saw other specific models for Q7's. here's his email: [email protected]
but i'm sure you can order these many places on line too!

·
Registered
22 Posts
my sprint booster is model # BDD201 which i believe is for 2004+ audi manual transmission vehicles although i think i saw other specific models for Q7's.
Hi Puff, I am from Singapore and interested in the Sprint Booster for my S5 too as I have enjoyed it on my BMW 5series. However, your part code BDD201 seems to be meant for Audi TT, A3 and S3? Could not find listing for A5/S5. Closest match for v8 4.2 is under the A8 & Q7 with part no BDD172. Hmmm...

http://www.cksperformance.com/AUDI/pdfs/SprintBoosters.pdf

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hi Puff, I am from Singapore and interested in the Sprint Booster for my S5 too as I have enjoyed it on my BMW 5series. However, your part code BDD201 seems to be meant for Audi TT, A3 and S3? Could not find listing for A5/S5. Closest match for v8 4.2 is under the A8 & Q7 with part no BDD172. Hmmm...

http://www.cksperformance.com/AUDI/pdfs/SprintBoosters.pdf
I emailed them, it's the same unit as what Puff is using, even though it doesn't explicitly say that it also works on the A5 and S5. Almost all current Audi's are using the same throttle position sensor.

-Ray

·
Registered
22 Posts
I emailed them, it's the same unit as what Puff is using, even though it doesn't explicitly say that it also works on the A5 and S5. Almost all current Audi's are using the same throttle position sensor.

-Ray
Thanks Ray. I suppose it doesn't make any difference whether the transmission is Manual or Auto?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did pose this to their U.S. distributor (Mini Mania) and they confirmed the correct S5 part is the '04+ A3/S3 version. Also, there is one version for autos and one for manuals.

Ordered it today!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did pose this to their U.S. distributor (Mini Mania) and they confirmed the correct S5 part is the '04+ S3/S4 version. Also, there is one version for autos and one for manuals.

Ordered it today!
Would you have the specific part no?

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sprint Booster - My Review

My indie installed this last week (took all of five minutes - truly "plug 'n play") and after a few days of driving, here are my thoughts:

1. There is a noticeable improvement in throttle response (for the first 1/2 of the pedal travel, that is)
2. This is a perfect compliment to the custom tune from FarnbacherLoles - the feeling of "bigger displacement" is even more profound at part-throttle
3. Downshifting and matching revs was initially more difficult but after a few days, I have no issues and it is as easy as before.
4. Is it worth $330? For me, yes. That being said, if you have a stock ECU, I would put the $330 towards some tuning first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
with the sprintbooster i find that downshifting blip has been so much easier with the 'ball of foot and little-toe step' technique. well, i don't know the name for that technique which is not 'heal n toe' . . . .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.