Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few forumites waiting on delivery of their 1.8 so let me take this opportunity to give you a little insight and tell you about my first month with my 1.8. Hope it’s of interest.

Like most others here I had never driven the 1.8 before I ordered, so performance was an issue I was concerned about. I was changing from an E46 330ci so was very much aware that there would be a reduction in power, quite how much was what was worrying me. As it happens I had nothing to be concerned about. I was more than surprised at how quickly the little 1.8 engine can pull the car through the gears and as the miles increased the car gradually loosened up and the performance became better and better. It certainly isn’t as quick as my BMW was and it doesn’t produce neck breaking power, but slow it isn’t and when you put your foot down you will know about it. As others have said you do need to work the gears more but that’s half the fun. The four-pot revs up to the redline with ease and makes a great noise, if you try hard you can almost hear a little whine from the turbo, or is that just my imagination.

On the motorway the car is smooth, quiet and comfortable and makes the longest of journeys easy and relaxing. The engine never feels stressed or pushed and seems happy to give you what you ask of it and is relentless in doing so. On the twisty roads the car is equally as good sticking very well to the road, for a front wheel drive, and having enough power to get you past any caravans that pop up in front of you. Fuel economy is good and where it might not match its diesel brothers, especially if pushed hard, it will still easily give you a good 36mpg average on a decent run. I’ve also found it performs a little better on super-unleaded and I only use Shell V Power petrol now, I think I read somewhere that the turbo charged engines perform better on higher octane fuel but I don’t understand the science behind it. The interior compared to my last car is unbelievable. This is my first Audi and I find the technology and comfort given to the driver and passengers simply fantastic.

The only negative comments I can make is that you will fight to keep it in a straight line when accelerating hard, however this is a characteristic of any front wheel drive car, and the gearbox is a little clunky, although having driven the A5 3.0TDi on a regular basis I find it to be the same. I put this down to me being used to the gearbox in the BMW which was extremely smooth.

In my time I’ve owned various BMW’s including an E36 318 saloon, an E36 318 coupe, a Z3 and an E46 330 cabriolet and I can honestly say that this A5 is by far the best car I have ever had. For those still waiting, hang on in there. You will definitely not be disappointed. As for performance, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Cheers
JTR

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks JTR; your review was really useful. I have just checked to see if I have a build date yet but not so far, despite a May schedule. Anyway, I am now doubly assurred that it is well worth the wait. I have driven the new 1.8TFSi in the A4 and was amazed at how good it was. My old 2.0 FSi A4 was good but this new engine is in a different league. Combine this with the fabulous shape and interior of the A5 and its a great car!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks JockTheRock, no matter how many times i read that the 1.8 is more than capable i am still a little concered about it. This is going to be the first time i've driven a petrol car, apart from some 1.2 punto at work a while back and wow that was slow. I've been checking youtube regularly to see if anyone has uploaded an 0-60 run with the a5 1.8 to see what the sound and gear changes are like, but no ones been brave enough to do it yet.

Glad your happy with it, out of interest why did you choose to have the 1.8 and the girlfriend the 3.0?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks JTR and PrinceA5 - these are really useful posts given the complete lack of 1.8s available for test drive. Got an email from my supplier yesterday saying my car is stuck at the docks (not sure which side) but should be here by 10th April ... which is next week! :D :D :D

Really good to hear the 1.8T is a competent engine - this is in line with my expectations (i.e. enough power to handle OK and cruise the motorways but not particularly "sporty").

·
Registered
256 Posts
... I’ve also found it performs a little better on super-unleaded and I only use Shell V Power petrol now, I think I read somewhere that the turbo charged engines perform better on higher octane fuel but I don’t understand the science behind it...
Nice to hear that you are so happy with the car. Without claiming to be a scientist myself, the reason that turbos run better on high-octane fuel is that much higher compression is used, and lower octane fuels will detonate before the spark due to this pressure. Using higher octane fuel prevents premature detonation (aka knock). This is true for turbos, but also other NA engines that have high compression ratios.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice review mate, cheers for sharing! I haven't been quoted production date for my 1.8T yet but you people are very successful in convincing me it's utterly worth every penny!

Regards
George

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Chaps, glad it was of some use.

Glad your happy with it, out of interest why did you choose to have the 1.8 and the girlfriend the 3.0?
I'm not really a huge diesel fan to be honest. Although the 3.0 A5 is an outstanding car, I'm more than happy with the 1.8.

Nice to hear that you are so happy with the car. Without claiming to be a scientist myself, the reason that turbos run better on high-octane fuel is that much higher compression is used, and lower octane fuels will detonate before the spark due to this pressure. Using higher octane fuel prevents premature detonation (aka knock). This is true for turbos, but also other NA engines that have high compression ratios.
Thanks for that JSC. I'll do a little googling later and read up on it.

JTR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Although I only had the 1.8 for a 24 hour demo, I can concur with Jock's review.

My last 3 cars have been 2.5 V6 X-Type, 1.8T A6 and 2.0 TDI A6. I thought the 1.8T A5 drove tremendously well. Really enjoyed the B roads that took me to the M1. Will be ordering shortly in Ibis White with Star Silver/Blue (leased company car but the leaser informs there will be no problem having it delivered by end Sept).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree with Jock - I've had my 1.8T for just over 2 weeks now, and it has just over 1700 miles on the clock now (my commute to work is 120 miles!). I drove the car as suggested for the running in period of the first 1000 miles, revs below 4000. Now I can go past that, it does feel an even better car.

There is certainly a pull of torque at the low end, and it doesn't feel slow at all. The MPG is great, I get around 35 and I'm not the most sensible of drivers. Thank goodness for the speed warning setting in the MMI (compared to the old way of setting it before). Only strange thing is the capacity of the fuel tank, it seems to be ~55 litres. The other models seem to be ~65 litres.

I did have a weekend test drive of the 3.0TDI which was very nice, but when it came down to company car tax and monthly rental, the 1.8T was a clear winner. The ride is very smooth and quiet. The rotated speed dials are confusing at first, as you think you're doing 60, and you're doing 80.

·
Registered
871 Posts
1.8 t Sport

Test drove a 1.8 T Sport in Feb as I was worried it wouldnt be much better than my 1.8 T Sport A4 Cab. I neednt have worried it was quite a bit quicker and the handling and ride was in a different league. It felt much more like a BMW in character which I would say was the handling/ride benchmark in this sector. I also thought that the fit and finish of my A4 Cab was the best but the A5 has upped the quality by a couple of notches.
A5 1.8 T Sport, Phantom Black, Black leather, Xenon/DLR upgrade, 19" Y Wheels. Auto headlights, Auto handbrake etc. Arriving this Wednesday afternoon. Cant wait
Steve:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great info from all. I am most encouraged. Certainly the 1.8TFSi that I test drove felt very good. Wonder when you ordered your car Steve - wish I had a Wednesday delivery (ordered toward end of February - still no build week:( . Still patience is a virtue they say:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I ordered at the end of the first week in Feb. I have had to keep on at the dealer though. They probably got fed up with me ringing and pulled their finger out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great info from all. I am most encouraged. Certainly the 1.8TFSi that I test drove felt very good. Wonder when you ordered your car Steve - wish I had a Wednesday delivery (ordered toward end of February - still no build week:( . Still patience is a virtue they say:)
Same here G8. Ordered Feb20ish and haven't been quoted build week yet.:confused: :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had mine a week now and absolutely love it. I was a BM man until I saw this in the showroom. 1.8T compares very well to my previous 320d in terms of engine tractability. Sure the steerings not quite as 'pure' but it's still very good to drive, and the dashboard/interior is in a different league for attractiveness over the rather slabby current generation 3 series.

Thing that gets me about the A5 is how much more expensive it looks - comparing this to a 3 series coupe was a bit of a no brainer, it looks and feels more aligned with the 6 series and Jag XKs. Think Audi have done a real beaut here as I'm standing in the showroom thinking 'I can get one of THOSE ??'

Once thing that may be a double edged sword is how much attention it attracts. It's great having everyone comment on how ace your car looks, you see heads turn in the street and even have had small children running alongside pointing ! Downside may be wrong type of attention - feel like buying a Corsa or something to go into town, pub etc as want to wrap this baby in cotton wool !

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Glad you guys like your cars, you're right about the attention thing, I came back to mine today to see two guys pearing in through the window with their hands on the top of the passenger door, they moved quickly when I arrived and told me how much they loved the look of the car.....just got home and noticed a 5 inch long scratch on the top of the door...just a bit p#ssed off right now. No car I've ever owned has picked up mysterious scratches like this one. I don't think they're intentional, just careless people being nosy...off now to see if it'll polish out.....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No car I've ever owned has picked up mysterious scratches like this one
Couldn't agree more Blade. Everytime I wash the thing I notice another mark on it. Fortunatley they have all buffed out. I think you are right though, not so much malicious actions as more careless admirers. Doesn't excuse their actions though. :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wind Noise

I wondered whether anyone else has noticed a wind noise when travelling above say 65 mph which appears to be coming from the wing mirror housing. I have ensured the windows are shut properly and have just turned the radio up. Has this been mentioned elsewhere?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts