Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order last month for my Meteor Gray A5, and I was given a build date of week 13. The made me expect that I'd have my car in the last half of April.

Well today, I got contaced by my dealer, and they told me that the estimated date at the dealer was now the week of 31 March. That's a good three weeks earlier than I was expecting. It's still fluid, of course...but it's definitely a good sign.

Since these production timelines are of interest to a lot of people, I'll try to keep everyone posted on the status if it changes. But if nothing does change, it looks like I'll be picking up my new ride around the 1st of April.

I'll have a smile on my face the rest of the day. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
That's great, dave! Were you messing with us by saying week of 31.... followed by March? :p

Yes, the dates are really useful for people at various stages.

For instance, I'm at the stage of wondering how long it really takes a cargo ship to haul its ass...igned cargo over here!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Dock to dock is about 4 days. It does however take time to load the complete ship and unload it. Your car could be the first one on and the last one off. 10 days shore to shore.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I placed an order last month for my Meteor Gray A5, and I was given a build date of week 13. The made me expect that I'd have my car in the last half of April.

Well today, I got contaced by my dealer, and they told me that the estimated date at the dealer was now the week of 31 March. That's a good three weeks earlier than I was expecting. It's still fluid, of course...but it's definitely a good sign.

Since these production timelines are of interest to a lot of people, I'll try to keep everyone posted on the status if it changes. But if nothing does change, it looks like I'll be picking up my new ride around the 1st of April.

I'll have a smile on my face the rest of the day. :D
Are you sure the salesperson is not setting you up for an April Fools Day joke?

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's awesome Dave! When you get your car, you'll have to put a few miles on it and make a quick trip over to Columbus. We can go get some Wings -n- Beer!

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Dock to dock is about 4 days. It does however take time to load the complete ship and unload it. Your car could be the first one on and the last one off. 10 days shore to shore.

Thanks, but what do you mean by dock to dock? Manufacturer to carrier? Shore to shore, I assume means the actual voyage, which is what I was figuring based on other people's dates (though it doesn't mesh with my status screen unless they loaded it on Feb 4 but the ship isn't leaving until Feb 18, given the port ETA of Feb 28!?).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great, dave! Were you messing with us by saying week of 31.... followed by March? :p
Heh...no. Just an artifact of my writing the date backwards (the Brits on the board likely didn't even notice, since it's not backwards to them ;) ). When you work for the Air Force long enough, you start to pick up certain habits. My wife used to get upset because I would set clocks to 24-hour time. Then she started working for the AF too, and now she doesn't notice.

That's awesome Dave! When you get your car, you'll have to put a few miles on it and make a quick trip over to Columbus. We can go get some Wings -n- Beer!
Yeah, absolutely. We just have to be careful wherever we park...we each might take the wrong car home.

Thanks, but what do you mean by dock to dock? Manufacturer to carrier? Shore to shore, I assume means the actual voyage, which is what I was figuring based on other people's dates (though it doesn't mesh with my status screen unless they loaded it on Feb 4 but the ship isn't leaving until Feb 18, given the port ETA of Feb 28!?).
I belive the distinction he was making between shore-to-shore and dock-to-dock was meant to imply that the car can spend more time sitting on the ship in dock than it does moving across the ocean. If it's first on and last off, it could wait for a few dys after it's loaded before the ship moves. And then it would wait again on this side of the ocean before it leaves the ship.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
But then wouldn't the dock to dock time be greater than shore to shore? Or is 4 days meant to indicate an average of 2 additional days on each side? Let's turn this into an algebraic equation, shall we?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess it depends on what is meant by "shore" and "dock". I took his post to mean that "dock" is when the ship arrives at the location, and is anchored just off shore. "Shore" is when the car rolls off the ship and touches soil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts