Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have a few dislikes on my S5 so far.

1 - the seatbelt height is not adjustable and it cuts in at the wrong point in my neck.
2 - The LEDs dim when indicating which I think looks horrible.
3 - Rear seat heaters are set by a dial with 0-6 setting. If left on, they will stay on. Although there is apparantly a weight sensor in the chairs which wont let the heater come on unless there is weight showing. Maybe a bag of frozen food ;) The rear seats ought to have an auto off switch or require activation from the front.

Minor points I know but that is the indication of how good the car is overall.

The really really really minor things would also be:

4 - The wheels get dirty quickly with brake dust. Clean your wheels, go off and drive around 6 miles and the alloys have a thin layer of black on them already. Within 10 days they are almost black.
5 - Some of the points of interest on the satnav are woefully out of date (petrol stations in particular) yet roads are not too bad with only more recent changes not showing.

· Registered
1 Posts
squeaky brakes

Got my S5 on 4 days ago, really like the car apart from a few things;
1. Very loud 'squeaking' from the brakes under slow and light braking.
2. Radio went on the blink for the first 1 1/2 days .
3. Drivers floor mat does not seem to be cut around foot reat on rhd
requiring mat to be depressed along with clutch pedal.

Rather a bad start to ownership after saying goodbe to a faultless Ford Focus st3......Things can only get better?!?

· Registered
1,184 Posts
1. Rear camera stays on a bit after shifting from reverse
2. Steering a bit light at low speeds

Hmmm....That's it.

· Registered
318 Posts
I was surprised at this also, but I actually like that it stays on for a few moments longer. Looks pretty cool seeing the screen as your driving away.

1. Rear camera stays on a bit after shifting from reverse

Hmmm....That's it.

· Registered
23 Posts
It is my understanding that the reason taht the camera stays on for a while is in case you need to perform multiple maneuvers to place your car in your parking spot. Imagine if you have to back in and out a few times, and just think now nice it is to have the camera stay on, instead of going on and off multiple times.

· Registered
276 Posts
Having had mine only a few days and the only thing that surprises me is the really short gearing. It makes pulling away in 1st jerky with the lightest of throttle so you have to dump into second making 3,4th gears are a waste of space at anything above 30 as 5th and 6th handles it all. At cruising speed of 50 and above 6th is all you need.
According to Audi Driver magazine this month the A6 4.2 has exceptionally high gearing allowing 70 at 2200 rpm and they got 33 mpg.
Why do Audi mess with the final drive ratio and make a lighter car shorter geared, no doubt to give A5/S5 the sportiness factor they keep on about?

· Registered
3,586 Posts
It is my understanding that the reason taht the camera stays on for a while is in case you need to perform multiple maneuvers to place your car in your parking spot. Imagine if you have to back in and out a few times, and just think now nice it is to have the camera stay on, instead of going on and off multiple times.
That makes total sense.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Having had mine only a few days and the only thing that surprises me is the really short gearing. It makes pulling away in 1st jerky with the lightest of throttle so you have to dump into second making 3,4th gears are a waste of space at anything above 30 as 5th and 6th handles it all. At cruising speed of 50 and above 6th is all you need.
According to Audi Driver magazine this month the A6 4.2 has exceptionally high gearing allowing 70 at 2200 rpm and they got 33 mpg.
Why do Audi mess with the final drive ratio and make a lighter car shorter geared, no doubt to give A5/S5 the sportiness factor they keep on about?
ChrisH,

Totally agree - one of the few things I've really not understood about my S4 which I presume is around the same. Needing over 3000rpm for 80mph seems ridiculous and totally cripples any semblence of fuel economy.

The excuse I heard when the S4 came out was that customers liked to accelerate when in 6th gear - really? What's wrong with dropping to 5th if you want to accelerate? I would think that my S4 would have been capable of economy in the mid to high 20s or even over 30mpg if 6th gear was a bit taller (ie more of a 'cruising' gear).

We all seem to be disadvantaged just so that German drivers can get meaningful acceleration from 120-155mph on the Autobahn. Not fair! (and another reason I'm going diesel...)

· Registered
128 Posts
Here's another one agreeing with you chrisH.
Unless pointing uphill at the time I always pull away in second, then go straight to fourth & sixth missing out the odd numbered gears altogether. It makes for a much smoother drive. If I'm starting uphill I go 1st -3rd -6th.
I also find it much better in slow moving jams to keep it in second, as the car's really too lively in first to be comfortable.

· Registered
276 Posts
ChrisH,

We all seem to be disadvantaged just so that German drivers can get meaningful acceleration from 120-155mph on the Autobahn. Not fair! (and another reason I'm going diesel...)
That must make for a cruising rpm on the autobahn of 5000 rpm at 130mph and no range at all - 150 miles perhaps. It does work out right for max speed de-limited and works out to 176mph at the peak power of 6800rpm.
If anyone tries this on the autobahn I wonder what the mpg will be...?

· Registered
128 Posts
I know this is slightly off topic, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the fuel tank on a Veyron is ridiculously small, so much so that at full chat it'll empty the tank in someting like thirty minutes/100 miles and that it was deliberately engineered this way to stop the tyres overheating.
-Nice to be able to find a 100 mile long road that you can blat along at 200mph -how ironic would it be if there was one somewhere, only to find that it didn't have a fuel station at both ends-

· Registered
39 Posts
My only niggles thus far after 7 weeks of ownership were/are squeaky front seat and the speakers in the car doors making the glass rattle when you have the volume turned up.

Also probably not the cars fault but the wheels are a pig to clean.

other minor niggle - steering wheel, on the S5 volume is on the right, on my other car (BMW) it is on the left - drives me mad.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Why didn't I think of that, makes sense. I noticed yesterday that the camera clicks off when the automatic door locks engage. So I guess it's a speed thing versus a gear thing.

G

·
No Niggles and no problems that were not user error

Those with problems such as squeaky breaks need to get in touch with the dealer quick smart !!!

· Registered
33 Posts
I've also experienced squeaky breaks, when breaking light or going quite slow in traffic jams. Sounds like a old Volvo 240 :mad:

· Registered
276 Posts
So when you cruise at 60mph, what's the rpm?
I use to have an 04 GTO, and it's 1500rpm at 60mph.
As I have said before its low geared for a big V8 so 60 would be 2300 as 6th works out at 26mph/1000 revs. If you're looking for a Freeway cruiser forget the S5, its designed for Germany so you can be on an Autobahn at 60 and enter a derestricted section and how fast you get up to 130 + to keep up with the big Mercs.

· Registered
89 Posts
My brakes squeeked for the first couple of days but it had totally gone now.
I also had condensation in the front lenses for the first day or so but that has not returned since.
Had the car for 5 weeks and I dont have any other gripes. No squeeks, no rattles.
I bought the showroom car to beat the waiting list so I did not have a choice on options really. It came with Phanton Black, mirror pack (internal and external dimming), GSM in the armrest and DVD Satnav. Unfortunately, it was not fitted with the B&O upgrade (the A5 TDI was and it sounded great). I must admit the standard ICE is very good anyway so I am not too upset !

I think this car will be a future classic. Reasonably priced when compared to the M3 too. I saw the Fifth Gear article comparing it to the 335i (which I nearly bought). The beemer may have just won round the track (I believe it was hundred's of a second difference) but it doesn't win on looks. It is cheaper to run though and falls below the 225g/km emissions so not too bad on the tax. I think I made the right choice.

· Registered
493 Posts
Pignpoo - The S5 is better than the 335i be sure about that ;)
u have made the right choice
congrats :)

· Registered
276 Posts
Unfortunately, it was not fitted with the B&O upgrade (the A5 TDI was and it sounded great). I must admit the standard ICE is very good anyway so I am not too upset !

I think this car will be a future classic. Reasonably priced when compared to the M3 too. I saw the Fifth Gear article comparing it to the 335i (which I nearly bought). The beemer may have just won round the track (I believe it was hundred's of a second difference) but it doesn't win on looks. It is cheaper to run though and falls below the 225g/km emissions so not too bad on the tax. I think I made the right choice.
See we share the same thoughts about the audio and looks. If the S5 does become a bit of a classic and the BMW does not then its improved resale value will more than make up for the higher road tax.
Other thing I just get enough of is that V8 rumble and shove in the back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.