Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few trips I've noticed a humming noise, it gets louder as speed increases. And it's getting more noticeable.

It's a very refined and constant noise, sounds like it has been generated electrically, doesn't sound 'mechanical' which makes me think it's not bearings. Can't remember any particular tricks for checking bearings.

Feels like it's coming from the middle of the car.

I've tried:
different road surfaces - noise stays same (not tyres then - but they are very worn)
going into neutral at speed - no impact on noise, same for revving, noise same at any revs
held hand over brakes after driving - not particularly hot
steering fluid seems to be at the right level
stereo turned off

No noise when stationery
Car is and always has felt, sluggish.

Help?

3.0 TDI Quattro cab 2014

· Registered
59 Posts
Hmmm. I have a low, constant hum as well, but it's as soon as I start the engine (and no, it's not the engine!) I thought it was the AC fan, but I turned it off and that makes no difference. Mine sounds like it's coming from inside the dashboard, just in front of the driver. The car is otherwise fine, drives well and has no fault codes. My best guess is it's some ancillary in the engine bay?

· Registered
27 Posts
Over the past few trips I've noticed a humming noise, it gets louder as speed increases. And it's getting more noticeable.

It's a very refined and constant noise, sounds like it has been generated electrically, doesn't sound 'mechanical' which makes me think it's not bearings. Can't remember any particular tricks for checking bearings.

I've tried:
different road surfaces - noise stays same (not tyres then - but they are very worn)
going into neutral at speed - no impact on noise, same for revving, noise same at any revs
stereo turned off

No noise when stationery

Help?

3.0 TDI Quattro cab 2014
Check your tyres for distortion mainly at the edges. Especially if they are pirelli tyres. If they are warped/feathered it can make a similar noise to a failed wheel bearing.

· Registered
83 Posts

I've tried:
stereo turned off

No noise when stationery

Help?

3.0 TDI Quattro cab 2014
Could it be a noisy coil pack or other electrical component feeding back through the speakers? Would sound like a buzzing noise that changes frequency at different speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your tyres for distortion mainly at the edges. Especially if they are pirelli tyres. If they are warped/feathered it can make a similar noise to a failed wheel bearing.
Thanks, I had a good look, they are wearing thin, but not distorted and the wear is even.

The obvious answer is to replace the tyres, but I'm a Yorkshire man and want to get me last bit of wear out of em. It's like when the waitress takes your pint before you've finished your last sip...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it be a noisy coil pack or other electrical component feeding back through the speakers? Would sound like a buzzing noise that changes frequency at different speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How would I test that

I've turned the stereo off, so I presume that would also mean the speakers aren't in use...

Or maybe this overrides...

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Does it change with vehicle speed or engine speed?

you wouldn't have a 'Soundaktor' would you? I know they fitted them to the S5. It's a little black box screwed to the bulkhead and mimics engine noise/hum. :)

· Registered
2,356 Posts

· Registered
2,356 Posts
I have one on my S5, but can't say I've 'heard' it, going to have to check now, but with my exhaust, I might not hear it anyway!? :)

It's noted to be fitted to Convertible models and S5/RS5, I think.

Reactions: SimonRoma

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Mate, do you want the bad news??? I am sure that you have closed yer missus in the boot and forgotten about her!!!!! PLEASE check.

Reactions: 2014A5Cab

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All sorted now,

It was a wheel bearing.

Not only has the noise gone, but the sluggish performance that I have experienced since buying the car has also gone.

Interestingly, the car didn't wobble, the braking and steering were fine under braking. Nothing to indicate any issue with the bearing, apart from the noise. I can only assume that the 4wd evened out the issue.

Glad to get it fixed. I was even pleased with the bill, under £200 and that included a tyre repair due to an embedded screw.

So, a happy Yorkshireman here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.