Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mate of mine has just bought a 54 plate 645Ci.

His comment 'its better than my car' got my back up (I've never been competitive, but this comment annoyed me)

Anyway I was trying to compare stats of the cars, but can only find stuff for the 650 or 635

On whatcar.com the stats between my 3.0TDI quat sport and the 650 is pretty much the same (height, width, top speeds etc)

The 0-60 for mine was 5.9, the 650 5.1 seconds.

The max torque was 369/1500 (Ib ft/rpm) compared to 361/3400 for the Beemer

Question 1.
Do you think the 645 will be slower than this? Or pretty much the same..

Question 2.
What does the torque mean and am I right in assuming I have more torque at a lower rpm than the 645

Thanks

Mallory

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
645Ci Manual:
0-60: 5.4Secs

645Ci Auto:
0-60: 5.6Secs
Top Speed: 155MPH

A5 3.0TDI Sport Manual:
0-60: 5.7Secs

Looks like the 645Ci would edge a win. Not sure of the 50-100MPH times etc.

You should have more torque at a lower RPM than your friend's 6 Series, as you have a diesel Engine.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I thought the 0-60 on a 3.0TDI was 5.9 secs and not 5.7 as stated by Rab88? :confused:

To be honest I don't think you'd win, sure, there wouldn't be much in it but I'd imagine the Beemer would pull away once you'd reached the higher speeds quite comfortably, that is until he got to 155mph then you may be able to catch him up! ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
BMW 6 series. My god, what an ugly abomination of a car :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
the beemer is definitely heavier...

a5 3.0 tdi
curb weight:3638
bmw 645i
curb weight: 3726

i say you can win

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 6 series already looks dated... The A5 is a future classic.. I was at one stage of my life looking at a 6 series.. however the slab on the boot just puts me off every time...

Also, a head to head race would also depend on the road conditions, where favourable, ie wet damp, the A5 would take it... Wait for him to take it in for services, may not be so pleased..

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This is a question for me as I had raced BMW 645Ci before. My suggestion is "Don't bother, you are going to lose". I raced the BMW when my car was modded up to 206KW (280BHP) and 600NM. At that point I was overtaking him sloooooowly. If you are stock, then don't bother, you are going to lose.

Talking about 650i, that is more of a competitor for me after MTM upgrade, otherwise no match for 3.0TDI. Mind you stock 3.0TDI does 0-62MPH in 6.4-6.6 seconds, mine after such a big power increase can do that in 5.9. Don't forget that your powerband is quite short and you have to change gears more often than he does, also you have 3.0TDI V6 he has 4.5 V8, that's a big difference and I am not speaking about power.

Still, A5 is much more beautiful car and if he says that your car is worse, it's ok, he is typical BMW owner.

·
Registered
371 Posts
He might be faster but his car is still a 6 series bmw and thats not a good thing. I got to see my A5 S-line next to a BMW M6 with huge wheels.

His is very fast, but the A5 S line is better looking.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Talking about 650i, that is more of a competitor for me after MTM upgrade, otherwise no match for 3.0TDI. Mind you stock 3.0TDI does 0-62MPH in 6.4-6.6 seconds, mine after such a big power increase can do that in 5.9. Don't forget that your powerband is quite short and you have to change gears more often than he does, also you have 3.0TDI V6 he has 4.5 V8, that's a big difference and I am not speaking about power.
I thought the 3.0TDI was 0-60 mph in 5.8? Audi has the 3.2FSI listed with 0-60 in 5.8-9 seconds and I thought the 3.0 was about the same speed but better fuel?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I thought the 3.0TDI was 0-60 mph in 5.8? Audi has the 3.2FSI listed with 0-60 in 5.8-9 seconds and I thought the 3.0 was about the same speed but better fuel?
Audi posted unachievable figures.
Both engines when stock are pretty much same in terms of acceleration, of course TDI feels much quicker due to impressive amount of torque.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
The 3.o Tdi is listed as 0-100kph (62mph) in 5.9 secs which is likely to be 5.6/5.7 to 60 mph. NO quoted official figures to 60 mph!. TBH... I don't give a stuff. Apart from the colour of the BM is the Pics (I love black in case no one had noticed) it looks like a pile of pants, whereas the A5 looks almost perfect.....

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have never timed it, but the A5 is much faster 0-60 than my old A6 4.2 V8.
That car was listed 0-60 in 6.1 seconds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do not worry about your friends comments, simply consider the pro's and cons of each car -

His is ugly - yours is beautiful
fuel economy 25mpg beemer 39mpg audi
CO2 279 beemer 172 audi
top speed 155 both

No need to say anymore really:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
645Ci Manual:
645Ci Auto:
0-60: 5.6Secs

A5 3.0TDI Sport Manual:
0-60: 5.7Secs
I'd take any manufacturer's 0-60mph claims with a large pinch of salt.

I was next to a BMW 130i at the lights the other day; supposedly on paper his 6.1secs compared with my 5.9 or 5.7 (depending on whose stats you believe). Maybe I'm just a shite driver, but he definitely had the edge on me in the traffic light grand prix (just the record, it was a 70mph road, not an inner-city 30mph).

Unless you really want to trash the engine / clutch, I just don't think quattro makes for blinding 0-60 times in dry conditions.

Just my 2p.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Do not worry about your friends comments, simply consider the pro's and cons of each car -

CO2 279 beemer 172 audi
top speed 155 both

+ 1 Most BMW's look and drive like a pile of p**h IMHO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

CO2 279 beemer 172 audi
top speed 155 both

Fantastic way of putting it! - that completely tickled me! lo! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Important thing is to understand that A5 is not a race car, not good for drag racing unless you are heavily modded and even after that it is still questionable.
Audi RS5 is going to be ideal for such debates with friends! :D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Important thing is to understand that A5 is not a race car, not good for drag racing unless you are heavily modded and even after that it is still questionable.
Audi RS5 is going to be ideal for such debates with friends! :D
The 6 series isn't a race car either, its just a big cruiser.

The 645ci will easily take the TDI, especially after 70mph.

·
Registered
26 Posts
guys,

what about the 630i against the a5 2.0TFSI (211).

bmw 630i 2d Auto 6.5 s 155 mph 254 bhp
audi 2.0T FSI S Line 2d 6.7 s 155 mph 208 bhp

which one do u think it'll win

1 - 20 of 22 Posts