Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....I went to the dealer this morning to pick-up my A5 6-speed manual, Brilliant black-on-black with Tech, Premium, Navi, Bang & Olufsen, iPod interface, 19" Y-Design wheels (as outlined at the start of this thread http://www.a5oc.com/forums/new-users-car-anticipation/3992-maybe-i-should-play.html and guess what???? I'm DIDN'T leave the Dealership with the car!!!!!

Why? Because after I go there, sign all the paperwork, get all the keys and extras, and go outside to inspect the car before final sign-off - there were TWO (not one...but TWO) BIG "scuffs" on the drivers side of the vehicle!! They were "plain as day" on the rear quarter panel and the driver's door!! And NOT the kind you can get off with your finger. I noticed them because I could not believe how CRAPPY the car looked as it was being delivered. Dry water marks everywhere, dirt along the bottom, and scattered glue marks from the white wrapper that Audi ships all their vehicles in was ALL over the car! It was HORRIBLE - like my 6 year old son had sprayed the car down with shredded paper and water...and then just left it there to dry. I sat there in amazement for about 5 minutes - just staring at the car and asking myself "is this really happening to me??!!"

So, I asked the sales rep what the deal was with the marks - and why didn't they see them during "prep"? You know what he says to me? "You know, I just found out about these maybe 15 minutes before you got here so I'm not really sure"....!! WTF? I asked him - so what were you going to do....hope I drove off the lot and didn't see them and then it would be my problem?? I was fuming....and he almost immediately excused himself very nervously and went to get the Service Manager. Almost 10 minutes later (I can't believe they left me out there that long) - the sales rep comes back outside with some man (not sure of his title) who proceeds to explain to me that they noticed this problem LAST NIGHT and would be happy to get it fixed for me any time I wanted to bring the vehicle back. I said "are you kidding me? Last night? When were you going to tell me about this? Were you going to just let me drive off the lot hoping I didn't notice, and then tuck your tail when I came back after spotting it and tell me that I am S-O-L? Why didn't someone just call me last night and push this back a day so you could take care of the issue?"

Anyway - after 10 minutes of back and forth, I am now just 100% pissed off. He kept telling me that I can "come back anytime and we'll get it fixed for you"....and I kept asking "why the hell wasn't it fixed yesterday when you found it??"!! I went away on business for a week after I signed the deal...so the dealer had 5+ business days to prep my car and prepare for this delivery. How unprofessional.

Long and short of it = 20 minutes later I am pulling off the lot in a 2008 loaner A4 (nice vehicle BTW) and I'm on the way to my office. The dealer immediately drove my A5 to the body shop they use down the street (very reputable place, they do all the service for Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and Audi on "the strip"). He said it probably just needed a "wet sand and a polish" (or something to that effect) - and then they would re-detail the car. He then proceeded to blame the horrible shape of the car (barely cleaned) on the fact that their in-house Detail guy was on vacation and they subbed-out the job. I told him touch s#%t - and I want the car back later today in 500% tip-top shape.

I get a phone call 2 hours later saying that have to sand, PAINT and polish the entire right-rear quarter panel AND the driver door in order to make it look excellent - and that my car will be ready the next day by 6pm. Again, I went nuts....but held my composure and said "Ok, now I am not actually buying a "brand-new" car anymore, am I - so what are you going to do for me?" (I paid "MSRP" for the vehicle due to the high demand, and I was fine with that since I stumbled upon the car in the first place). Their General Manager is back at noon tomorrow, a few hours before I pick up the car, and they will get back to me with their answer.

So - after this VERY long story...I still have the 2008 A4 in my driveway....I have no 2009 A5...and when I do get it, it will have a newly painted driver's door and rear quarter panel.

Will I be able to "notice" this? Will the average person be able to see this? Or are these high-end body shops "that good" (and since the door and the rear panel "meet" so it should flow nicely) and you won't be able to tell?

Am I reading into this too much - and should I just be happy to get my car tomorrow? Or should I tell them "go scratch" and return the vehicle and wait for the next one to arrive (sometime before 2009, but doubtful??)

ARGHHHHHH!!!! Advice would be great....thanks guys...I guess this is why man invented BEER...!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a similar thing going on now. I just signed an agreement to purchase a 2009 S5 yesterday that I had a security deposit on and before I took it out on the test drive I noticed 5-7 deep scratches on the hood. I told the sales rep about it and he said that he didn't know if it could be buffed out. I called the leasing company today who I am going through and they said that I would be responsible for the charges if it was returned that way at the end of the lease. I called the sales rep and left a message and did not yet get a call back. I actually wasn't too worried over the scratches at first since it was a lease until I spoke to the leasing company and found I would be liable for the charges. Should I tell them to fix it or ask for a discount and hope the inspector at the end of the lease considers it normal wear and tear? Or should I expect it to be fixed and given a discount? I mean I am paying full retail MSRP for this car.

-Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
The value of the car is considerably less when it is repainted.

I would immediately send a letter telling them to cancel the contract to see how good it looks after the body shop and if it looks good negotiate a new price or maybe some freebies like an extended warranty and Audicare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - i was thinking at a MINIMUM free AudiCare....which I actually purchased for my car, but I put it on my Amex (business write-off), so that would be an easy one for them to just credit back to my Amex.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re-paint before delivery?

I feel sorry for you, but I would not accept a new car that has been freshly painted for any reason.

All they have to worry about is the paint lasting long enough to get through the Warranty period.

Why they could not buff out water stains is puzzling.

Well, good luck to you. Sounds like you got a very crappy dealer.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Will I be able to "notice" this? Will the average person be able to see this? Or are these high-end body shops "that good" (and since the door and the rear panel "meet" so it should flow nicely) and you won't be able to tell?
Really sorry to hear about your situation. That's just unbelievable how the dealership handled the situation! I would have been fuming too.

Regarding your question about high-end body shops, yes many of them can do such a good job that you can't tell the car has been repainted. However, the paintwork will only be as good as the person(s) who painted and buffed your car. I know several car enthusiasts friends of mine who've taken their cars to "high-end" body shops for paintwork only to have the car returned not to their satisfaction. So, just because a body shop has a reputation for being "high-end" doesn't mean jack, IMO.

I would immediately send a letter telling them to cancel the contract to see how good it looks after the body shop and if it looks good negotiate a new price or maybe some freebies like an extended warranty and Audicare.
This is the route I would go as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SDS5....the water stains are easily buffed-out, you are correct. It is the 2 "scuffs" that I guess needed some work done. I am going to find out the full details this morning...my guess is maybe the idiot sale rep had his terminology wrong and hopefully they just wet-sanded and re-buffed the car, but I won't know until sometime after lunch. ARGHHH.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i know what to do

f#*k them. unreal!!! every single audi dealer and salesperson's are total and complete morons. since you live in NY, switch dealers. I know the owner of the dealer where i bought mine. they got mine within the 90 days promised.
its worth checking out at least. Riverside Audi in Secaucus, N.J. ask for Teri Axle. Starting your deal that way is DEFINATELY a bad sign of things to come with that dealer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tell me about it Bigwhite...I'm going to wait and see what the GM tells me today and then go from there. Didn't sleep last night (silly, I know), because I am that PO'd about the whole thing...!

·
Registered
39 Posts
blood boiling

my bloods boiling just from reading your story. i cannot comprehend how audi gets away with this. my car was about 63,000, and ive never had worse customer service. and i also go through cars like water(not phones). if the car wasnt so dam gorgous it wouldnt matter.anyway, if your ever in the area, lets meet up and audi bash. we own a few high end restaurants around bergen county and can compare cars:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell me about it....to be honest, I get 1000-times better service, respect and response from the Honda dealer where I just got my wife's kid-toting, loaded Odyssey Touring...and you'd think with the volume they do, they wouldn't have the time - but they treat her / me like a rock star....the Audi dealer is right across the street, I should send them all over there with a notepad and pen to take some notes on good customer service...

·
Registered
39 Posts
same

samething here. my wife drives little H3 for the kids too, and the Customer care and service at that dealer is inspiring. they are amazing there and i always send my guests there and always highly recommend Hummer for that reason. audi will never get any good or kind words from me. It really does amaze me. the funniest thing is that my audi dealer actually asked me to fill out the customer survey form with all A+ 's. Needless to say, u can guess how i filled it out. typical carsalesman bottomfeeding scum in my opinion. only plus was, they have the hottest receptionist who actually helped speed things up for me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See, I lose again! Their receptionist is very nice actually, but about 65 years old and nothing to look at!!! man, it's a lose-lose for me. I left a long and detailed VM on the GM's extension about 20 minutes ago...the receptionist told me he would be call me ASAP. The Assistant Manager (who drove my car to the body shop yesterday) is on a day off today...so you just KNOW that the ball will get dropped (like a game of telephone-tag gone bad) and the GM will know nothing about this...so I'm going to stir the pot and make this happen!

·
Registered
204 Posts
The only thing you have going for you on the re-paint is it's black. Any other color your your Fu#ked. Look at it very carfully... in the shade, sun, every angle. They always say how they cannot get the metal body panels and plastic panels to color match. My question is how do they do it at the factory!.

·
Registered
457 Posts
5,000 off MSRP + Audi care and everything should be golden. It's a black car, the high-end bodyshop will really have to fcuk up the paintjob for you to tell. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
677 Posts
BTW, Cars coming from any factory have the possibility of being touched up at the end of the production line. Most again have touch up facilities at the port. Most problems are repaired before they ever get to the dealer. Again a dealer will take delivery and fix problems before a customer will ever see the car. You are in a particular situation for the dealer that is tough for them. You saw something that happened after a crappy (or most likely during) prep job for delivery.

My delivery was simple. I told them not to wash the car period! I took the car home washed it myself properly found a few scratches from people running their fingers over a dirty car and buffed them out myself.

Here is what happens to BMW and MINI cars.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21112

A bit older but still interesting reading.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All good points Wrx_xb9r....alwin....Black3.2...and Spddev....thanks to each of you. I am awaiting a call from the dealer...hopefully soon. I'm a bit surprised they haven't called yet....stand by! I've got my fighting shoes tied-tight and ready to roll!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just hung up with the dealer. The car did NOT need painting of ANY kind. He said it came out perfect with short amount of wet-sand and buffing. They re-detailed the car this morning and he claims that it looks like it just came off the factory line. The sales guy said he inspected the car up and down for 15 minutes and it looks 100% mint....! So, this is what they are telling me. I am meeting them at 7pm tonight to see for myself and hopefully agree with their findings and pick up my car.

I told the guy that although I am VERY relieved that the car didn't need any paint at all (depreciation, warranty, etc.), I'm still miffed about the situation and want them to do something for me. He gave me a sob story about his manager yelling at him and telling him that it would come out of his check - because it was the sale guy's responsibility to make sure the Service Dept. did a nice job om the detail. Well, I run a decent sized company myself, and in my business, each department is responsible for turning out a 150% solid effort on every project they do, otherwise it is THAT department that is at fault - and they suffer the feedback or consequences....not the department they are collaborating with...man. Car dealerships are in a "world of their own".

So, I guess bottom-line...I'm hoping for $ 250 to $ 500 off the car (paid MSRP so they have the margin room in the deal) - either in cash-back, or some other form of remuneration (gift certificate, accessories, etc.). Sounds about right - eh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
AZ: That is one rough story to go through. I had my car on order set back due to the famous hailstorm, although I was not told so, had to find out about it in the forums. Anyway, I griped about the delay and asked and received the Audi Care ($650) for no charge. You ought to at least get that for your time and trouble, and they give it relatively easily. I am thinking of working for an extended warranty at some discount due to the hail storm. If you can get some off the MSRP, that would be great and deserved in my view. Would you consider posting your outcomes here? I (and others, I'm sure) would value the input.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.