1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm an occasional writer for Speed:Sport:Life and the author of our S5 review:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2007/...ew-2008-audi-s5-building-a-better-squarebird/

After driving the S5 at Infineon, I knew that I would eventually want to add an S5 to my garage, which currently consists of two Phaetons, a 993, a Boxster S, a 944, and my Performance Touring E - class Neon club racer.

Last week I took delivery of our new S5. I ordered it as a six-speed with all available options: when Drive Select and Adaptive Cruise became available for 2009, I chose not to add either.

My original order was for the car in 1973 Porsche Lime Green with a full Exclusive interior, including steering wheel and shifter, in Orange. However, when we placed the order I was informed that choosing the Exclusive interior could delay the car a LONG time, so I changed to Tuscan Brown.

Obviously, it's a great car, as you all know. I find the V8 to be more characterful and musical than the five-valve Audi V8s in my Phaetons. I'm not much for driving fast on the street but I have briefly run it up to 130 or so and I'm pleased with the performance.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos. The color does not photograph "true" - it's deeper and "greener" than it looks in photos. The interior is Tuscan Brown with Carbon inlays, I'm sure you all know what that looks like.

Happy to be here. I don't expect to fiddle with the car much beyond maybe a set of black BBS CH wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
You were going to order the interior in orange? Oh...

Anyways, yeah, there was a thread with pics of your car in it. I think the title was something like "Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeen S5."

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I really can't see the beauty of this color. Maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Definitely a Head Turner!

Jack - the exclusiveness of the S5 has just been made more exclusive for you in this color! Although I wouldn't have picked it, it will definitely set you apart! And the DRLs still look awesome no matter the color!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad taste isn't a crime
Zing!

Don't worry, I have plenty of grey, black, and silver cars for when I want to be an invisible part of the faceless crowd :)

The car definitely divides opinion, although in the metal it seems to find more fans than it does in photos. The intensity of the color tends to wash out a bit and the lines of the car aren't visible. The same's true of the bright red S5s out there... but in person the lines of the car are intact.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't like it. Looks like something you would drive around Christmas time with the green and red. Terrible color combination. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Where's the Tippex?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Er, where's the red again? You mean the taillights?
Sorry, brown. To each his own, but I believe that the car is rare enough to not require a color off the Audi spectrum to be unique.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To each their own. I don't think it looks that bad. I would not want it, but I remember liking these colors back when they first came out on cars. I think on the Challengers it was called "Big Bad Green". It may be kind of difficult on the re-sale side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what it's worth, in the week the car sat at the dealer prior to my picking it up, the dealer had a couple of purchase requests. Part of that may be due to the fact that S5s are thin on the ground at the moment.

I doubt resale will be any tougher than it is with most high-dollar Audis. I bet it keeps a higher percentage of its value than any A8.

·
Registered
384 Posts
At any rate, good luck with the car. You can always get a paint job if you change your mind :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts