Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are some excellent parts to Advanced Key but one mjor negative.

Major Negative:

Once the car is started using the Advaned key, (by pressing the start button) the key no longer has to be in the vehicle. the car just keeps going. i tested this. i jumped ot the car with the key whilst the engine running. my bro-in law took it for a drive and came back with no issues bar a key warning lamp.

Benefits:

obviously no key required to open doors etc
Try locking the key in the boot, it wont just keeps reopening

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think that's actually a problem with a lot of these systems. Manufacturer's really don't expect you to leave the engine running.

My dad's TVR has the same issue (although he never drives it). I was working on it one day (surprise surprise)... he asked if it was ok to go a spin in it, so off he went. I had to phone him to let him know that I still had the key fob in my pocket!!

Yet, he had no issues with the driveability.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Can I ask a question to any of the advanced key owners?... Can you stop the engine remotely via the key-fob?

... could have been a very useful option to include, for example, if you're ever car-jacked.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I ask a question to any of the advanced key owners?... Can you stop the engine remotely via the key-fob?

... could have been a very useful option to include, for example, if you're ever car-jacked.
will try it later

·
Registered
677 Posts
My parents had the same thing happen to them on one of their M-B cars. Mom borrowed dads' car to go to the store. She called to say bring the key so she could start the car. Dad had it in his pocket watching TV on the couch. It was close enough thru the wall that the car would start and drive to the store. However 10 miles away at the store it would not start again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer told me that the car could be started and driven away while the key was near enough to, but not inside, the car - however it would cut out after about 100 yards and couldn't be re-started without the key. The dealer told me he reckoned this was sufficient gap for me to leg it if I had been car-jacked. I haven't tested his claim - and hope I will never find out if it is true!

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's exactly what the "security measure" is: not being able to turn it on again after turning it off if you don't have the key.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer told me that the car could be started and driven away while the key was near enough to, but not inside, the car - however it would cut out after about 100 yards and couldn't be re-started without the key. The dealer told me he reckoned this was sufficient gap for me to leg it if I had been car-jacked. I haven't tested his claim - and hope I will never find out if it is true!
the dealer is clueless. i tried and uk spec cars definitely dont cut out

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Your dealer was clearly talking out of his azz.

If my car is car jacked they can have it whether it stops after 100 yards or not. What are you gonna do sprint 100 yards and confront the car jacker? The only way he is getting my car is if he shows a weapon, and if he shows a weapon i'm not gonna chase him.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Your dealer was clearly talking out of his azz.

If my car is car jacked they can have it whether it stops after 100 yards or not. What are you donna do sprint 100 yards and confront the car jacker? The only way he is getting my car is if he shows a weapon, and if he shows a weapon i'm not gonna chase him.
Well said - that's what insurance is for! Don't really want to turn this into a thread about car-jacking, especially as it's not (yet) that common in the UK (and certainly not down in the South West!)

However, if someone pulls a weapon on me and insists they're taking my car, then they can have it and I'll sort it out later with the Police and insurance. Same goes for my wallet/watch etc... Not worth it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was toying with the idea of the Advanced Key option, prinicipally because I anticipate pushing the button to start car would always bring a big grin to my face.

£495 is an expensive grin as it is, but would soon be wiped out if somebody went off with the car while I still had the key in my pocket.

So I'll definitely use the £495 on something else.

·
Registered
643 Posts
For what it's worth, it works the same way on all other Advanced Key models (tried in A6, A8 and S8).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think it is a security issue. You cannot stop the car as it is driving..... just imagine you could be overtaking and hit somebody (if the car wasn't stolen , but imagine yourself driving away with the keys nearby, but not in the car.....

In France, we get a standard satellite tracking and immobilisation system. So that if the car is stolen, even with the key, it is located (lights will flash and horn will sound if vehicle is running), immobilised (only after ignition is off) so that it cannot be restarted once it is off. Sounds quite obvious to me.

I think the car will not start if the key is not within 2 or 3 feet of the car, so they've reduced the sensitivity, which should minimize these issues.....

And as for carjacking - whether the key is in your pocket, car is started or not, if they want the car, they're going to get it...... advanced key or not....

·
Registered
45 Posts
kessy will recognise the key has left the vehicle and allow the engine to continue running until it is turned off and then it will be immobilized until a recognised key is within the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My wife locked my keys in the boot of my previous car in the Summer whilst we were out. Something that is not possible with the keyless option.

I dont think it is likely for me to get out of the car with the engine still running so I dont see that being an issue.

The start button is a novelty but a good one. Not needing to get your keys out to open and lock the doors is handy. The auto locking covers your back if you do happen to forget that you didnt swipe your hand over the lock and didnt see that the mirrors hadnt flashed and folded in or that the red light was flashing in the door window.

Its not a must have but start buttons seem to be appearing on lots of cars now and a few years down the road, not having a start button may look old fashioned. Just like not having air con or sat nav hits your resale values. Maybe a start button/keyless in a car that you expect to have it could be the next thing thing they look at ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife locked my keys in the boot of my previous car in the Summer whilst we were out. Something that is not possible with the keyless option.

I dont think it is likely for me to get out of the car with the engine still running so I dont see that being an issue.

The start button is a novelty but a good one. Not needing to get your keys out to open and lock the doors is handy. The auto locking covers your back if you do happen to forget that you didnt swipe your hand over the lock and didnt see that the mirrors hadnt flashed and folded in or that the red light was flashing in the door window.

Its not a must have but start buttons seem to be appearing on lots of cars now and a few years down the road, not having a start button may look old fashioned. Just like not having air con or sat nav hits your resale values. Maybe a start button/keyless in a car that you expect to have it could be the next thing thing they look at ;)

i dont think the car does auto lock when you exit the car. i think the auto lock in the menu refers to doors locking when u pull away.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i dont think the car does auto lock when you exit the car. i think the auto lock in the menu refers to doors locking when u pull away.
Mine auto locks if I dont lock it. I havent timed it but it would be around 60 seconds at a guess.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Doubledoom you mentioned swiping your hand across the lock???
WHOA! :eek: IT'S ALIVE (AGAIN)...

Nice revival of a 6 month (almost 7 month) old thread!! The "lock" is a small square on the outside handles (driver and passenger) where you can simply touch it with the slightest touch and it lock the car/arms the alarm...folds mirrors if configured that way...etc...etc...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone else noticed that if you have the key in your pocket (near the car) and you are washing it with a hose, the water provides sufficient conductivity to complete the circuit? the car will lock then unlock many times if i have the key near and use a hose on it. I sometimes put the key in the car before i use the hose for this reason- the car "knows" the key is inside so does not autolock (i hope....):eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts