Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does anyone know if the 2.7 TDi Multitronic is fitted with steering-wheel mounted "paddle shift" levers?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
First post from me. We tested the 2.7TDI on Saturday. It does not have paddles on the steering wheel. It does have a manaul shift via the stick if you move it to the left then up/down. The normal auto change is very smooth and also has a sport mode.
Sadly the A5 is not big enough in the back seats for our family.

Cheers for now.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all, does anyone know if the 2.7 TDi Multitronic is fitted with steering-wheel mounted "paddle shift" levers?

Thanks,
It doesnt. I have one and it doesnt have the paddles, which were provided as standard on my prvious multitronic A4. I was told verbally they WOULD be provided but they are not yet available although described in the handbook. Its a pity because I used them a lot. They are far more effective than 'kickdown' and a couple of let hand 'pulls' would reduce the ratios by two vurtual gears which at 80 mph put you ih a superb position to overtake safely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John. I agree it's a shame Audi haven't got their act together with the A5 paddle shift - it's not exactly new technology and I can see where you're coming from with regard to overtaking..

I have a 2.7Tdi booked for a 48 hour test drive the week after next; I'm considering it against a BMW 325Ci MSport. Apart from the above, I assume you're pleased with your purchase..?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, i'm a bit curious about this paddle issue?
When i ordered my 2.7 in September i could choose the Multifunction stearingwheel with paddles? (i did btw)

Is that option not available in the US? (I'm Swedish)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone taken delivery of a 2.7 TDi Sport? Does this have the paddles? I still can't see them listed on the UK configurator for A5 but they are listed as an option on the new A4.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone taken delivery of a 2.7 TDi Sport? Does this have the paddles? I still can't see them listed on the UK configurator for A5 but they are listed as an option on the new A4.
Not that I've heard - mine comes next Friday so I'll let you know..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I collected my 2.7tdi sport yesterday and can confirm the UK ones don't come with paddle shifts.

The multitronic is lovely and smooth :D

Loving the car and will find out tomorrow how much it costs to fill up. Not going to Hilton Park services though as they were charging 115.9p for diesel per litre and 119.9p for the ultimate diesel per litre yesterday

Enjoy the car when you get it.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the info Stevieb0y - I wasn't fussed either way as the main reason for going for the 2.7 TDi was to get an auto so I don't plan on shifting by hand much anyway. Not having the paddles will not be an issue - it's just interesting (or frustrating, depending on your opinion) that it's not an option. Can't wait for delivery - I'm now hoping for late March / early April...

·
Registered
714 Posts
My current car has DSG and comes with paddles mounted on the steering wheel. I think I've used them less than 10 times (seriously) in the last 3 years.

I'm much more prone to just stuff the gear shift into Sport mode for a burst of acceleration and then back to Drive again when I'm done (although my brother says the manual for his new TT says not to do this). From what I've seen, multitronic doesn't appear to have a sport mode but it's an auto and I'll guarantee that'll make you lazy ;)

DSG has been great when stuck on the M1 etc inching forwards every few mins or when doing a hill start but it's also made me a less "engaged" driver ... I don't feel as connected to the car and when cruising this can make me a little less attentive (but still no accidents in 20 years of driving). I'm viewing my switch back to a manual with both trepidation and excitement.

Don't worry about those paddles ... I don't think you'll miss them. The novelty of changing gear like Lewis Hamilton wears off very quickly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
...stuck on the M1 etc inching forwards every few mins...
Ha! I know the feeling. The M1, M6, M25, Central London, Midlands, etc etc etc - in fact everywhere I need to drive seems to be gridlocked - my main reason for going for the multitronic :D and having spent 4-hours crawling on the M18 / M1 from Scarborough the other day I simply can't wait to ditch the clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up my 2.7TDI (non-sport) yesterday. It has the steeringwheel paddles. Not quite sure what to do with them anyway.... The car is brilliant!! Sooooo smooth.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Picked up my 2.7 yesterday it as paddles did not know I was getting them when I ordered the car in NOV. I put the shift into S drive (sports i think) then use the paddles to hold down the gears to get the max out of each ratio. It moves along a bit. Must say the car is very smooth and a great drive. I am one happy bunny:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK - Definative (UK) statement on this... (having started the thread in the first place:) )

My 2.7TDi Sport was delivered today, and it has shift paddles. My order was confirmed with Audi on November 30th 2007. I'd assume therefore that if you placed your order after this date, you can expect to have them fitted.

Hope this clarifies things!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know I said I wasn't bothered about these but it would be the icing on the cake if mine comes with the paddles :D But just imagine how I will feel if it now comes without them :mad: Ah well; only 4 days to wait ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know I said I wasn't bothered about these but it would be the icing on the cake if mine comes with the paddles :D But just imagine how I will feel if it now comes without them :mad: Ah well; only 4 days to wait ...
My money's on you having the paddles (my car was finished in Feb and in the country 4 weeks ago, but company politics forbade me from taking delivery :confused: ). Yours must have caught a later boat than mine if delivery is next week. So with all that in mind..

..here's hoping!! ;)

Cheers,
Paul.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Delivered today with: 8 speed paddle shift gearbox* :D

*OK so I know it's only a CVT but at least I got the paddles on the steering wheel. I can now admit that I secretly wanted them all along [I was just hedging my bets in earlier post :p ]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Delivered today with: 8 speed paddle shift gearbox* :D

*OK so I know it's only a CVT but at least I got the paddles on the steering wheel. I can now admit that I secretly wanted them all along [I was just hedging my bets in earlier post :p ]
Congratulations! Now all you need is a Sunday morning, a tractor, and a long straight.. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts