Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently bought a 2007 Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro manual . When I bought the car there was already a downpipe on it . I recently got a map but the person mapping it never deleted the dpf on the ECU. I eventually got it deleted from somebody else . Before the dpf delete mpg wasn’t great about 24mpg around the city . Now that I’ve got it removed from the ECU , mpg has remained the same while I expected a slight improvement . Anything else this could be ?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Martin,
Yeah I have read a few forums and that seems to be a typical mpg to get around the city . I was expecting the same for mine or something remotely similar . Can’t seem to get about 25 mpg around the city , maybe that’s standard for the 3.0 A5s

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Without a DPF and without mapping it out, the car will not run properly and give engine check light. So if the car already had a downpipe, it will have already been remapped!

Your map might also be a bad one? Does it smoke?

2007-2009 3.0TDI will be around 24mpg
2009-2012 will be about 26mpg
2012 onwards will be less, basically the newer you get, the better mpg

I had a 2009 3.0tdi which had a better turbo and give slightly better mpg. Mine averaged 26-27mpg commuting in urban areas.

They are not that good in urban areas. To get the best mpg out of these large diesel engines, you need to be cruising on the motorway and then it will do 45-50mpg.

By contrast I have a 2015 S5 with 3.0 v6 supercharged petrol and that does 24mpg urban and 42mpg on the motorway. :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without a DPF and without mapping it out, the car will not run properly and give engine check light. So if the car already had a downpipe, it will have already been remapped!

Your map might also be a bad one? Does it smoke?

2007-2009 3.0TDI will be around 24mpg
2009-2012 will be about 26mpg
2012 onwards will be less, basically the newer you get, the better mpg

I had a 2009 3.0tdi which had a better turbo and give slightly better mpg. Mine averaged 26-27mpg commuting in urban areas.

They are not that good in urban areas. To get the best mpg out of these large diesel engines, you need to be cruising on the motorway and then it will do 45-50mpg.

By contrast I have a 2015 S5 with 3.0 v6 supercharged petrol and that does 24mpg urban and 42mpg on the motorway. :)
Hi Dave ,
Yeah basically I was trying to figure out if the car should be running better after the dpf was removed . When reading about the mpg I expected to get around 30 mpg in the city , and about 40-45 on the motorway . But if 24 mpg is common for the 3.0 L around the city I guess I was just being rather hopeful than realistic

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Yeah, there are quite a few variables for fuel consumption! Fuel quality, weather/temperature, tyres, servicing, general engine condition, driving style etc etc

My 3.0tdi only got to and above 30mpg when coming home from work, which was a lot of downhill :D

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, there are quite a few variables for fuel consumption! Fuel quality, weather/temperature, tyres, servicing, general engine condition, driving style etc etc

My 3.0tdi only got to and above 30mpg when coming home from work, which was a lot of downhill :D

Hopefully when I service it , it will improve. I’m hoping for 30 mpg around the city be happy enough with that . I’m a big fan of using high quality oil , I normally go for the motul oil 5W30. I’ll also change the air filter to see if that makes much of a difference . The car I just changed from was a 2005 BMW 320d e90 that averaged around 32 mpg around the city .

· Registered
67 Posts
Forgot to say mine is auto maybe this makes a difference to the mpg, I always thought that Manila's were better for mpg than autos, maybe I was wrong. Plus my cab weighs more than a coupe due to the additional strengthening needed.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Forgot to say mine is auto maybe this makes a difference to the mpg, I always thought that Manila's were better for mpg than autos, maybe I was wrong. Plus my cab weighs more than a coupe due to the additional strengthening needed.
What year is yours?

Modern autos like DSG are sometimes better than manual. It's the older torque converter autos that could use more, depends on the lock up programmed into the box and how much slip it does etc You don't hear the 'slipping' autos accelerating anymore as they tend to lock up more giving direct drive.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Mine was auto too!

· Registered
67 Posts
What year is yours?

Modern autos like DSG are sometimes better than manual. It's the older torque converter autos that could use more, depends on the lock up programmed into the box and how much slip it does etc You don't hear the 'slipping' autos accelerating anymore as they tend to lock up more giving direct drive.
Mines a 2012 Dave, 7 speed so think it's the stronic?

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Mines a 2012 Dave, 7 speed so think it's the stronic?
Yeah yours is DSG, so just as good as, possibly better than manual on MPG and the later engine so better mpg again. :)

· Registered
212 Posts
Hopefully when I service it , it will improve. I’m hoping for 30 mpg around the city be happy enough with that . I’m a big fan of using high quality oil , I normally go for the motul oil 5W30. I’ll also change the air filter to see if that makes much of a difference . The car I just changed from was a 2005 BMW 320d e90 that averaged around 32 mpg around the city .
The 2005 E90 320d is only a 4 pot engine and light car than the heavier A5 with 6 pot engine. Ideally you should compare against a 330d ;)

I moved from a E92 320i to 2009 2.0i TFSI and found the MPG are very similar in town and motorway with identical driving conditions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts