Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m new to the forum and Audi’s in general

I’m going to view a used Audi A5 tdi quattro 3.0 (2007) and wondered what are the most common problems I’d expect to find?
it has done 99k miles and I understand that it has gone into limp mode due to dps filter and is having a regen at the garage where I‘ll be viewing it.
if anyone could post some common things to look out for or a link to another similar post I’d be very grateful

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Hiya mate welcome on board!! You must do some research cos there is LOADS of great info on here.

Reactions: A5tdiQuattro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello I’m new to the forum and Audi’s in general

I’m going to view a used Audi A5 tdi quattro 3.0 (2007) and wondered what are the most common problems I’d expect to find?
it has done 99k miles and I understand that it has gone into limp mode due to dps filter and is having a regen at the garage where I‘ll be viewing it.
if anyone could post some common things to look out for or a link to another similar post I’d be very grateful

thanks!
hi there, some things i've found with mine

EGR coolant pump dies (mine now seems to be an electrical fault there but others have had the fault fixed simply by changing the pump)
Glow Plugs can fail without bringing up a glowplug or engine light - i had 2 fail in such manner
Dual mass flywheel tends to die, i've been ok on this but it's known to happen at about your age (and mine at 108k)
Rusting on crevice in boot lid
Fuel tank lock actuator is a common fail (emergency release in inner boot lining)

additionally,
although i haven't experienced this one, the door lock actuators are known to fail
EGR cooler on these models has a nice tendency to leak. this is quite an expensive repair.
Listen to the engine when starting up from stone dead cold when there's no oil in the upper engine. Timing chain tensioners are known to go and this is only made worse by poor quality oil and infrequent servicing.

on the bright side, with good quality oil and filters alongside regular maintenance, the engine is a trooper. i highly reccomend getting it mapped for efficiency as i'm able to get about 45mpg out of mine if i behave myself, and that's not on the "efficient" map.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi there, some things i've found with mine

EGR coolant pump dies (mine now seems to be an electrical fault there but others have had the fault fixed simply by changing the pump)
Glow Plugs can fail without bringing up a glowplug or engine light - i had 2 fail in such manner
Dual mass flywheel tends to die, i've been ok on this but it's known to happen at about your age (and mine at 108k)
Rusting on crevice in boot lid
Fuel tank lock actuator is a common fail (emergency release in inner boot lining)

additionally,
although i haven't experienced this one, the door lock actuators are known to fail
EGR cooler on these models has a nice tendency to leak. this is quite an expensive repair.
Listen to the engine when starting up from stone dead cold when there's no oil in the upper engine. Timing chain tensioners are known to go and this is only made worse by poor quality oil and infrequent servicing.

on the bright side, with good quality oil and filters alongside regular maintenance, the engine is a trooper. i highly reccomend getting it mapped for efficiency as i'm able to get about 45mpg out of mine if i behave myself, and that's not on the "efficient" map.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I’ll have to read up more on the EGR, noticed a couple of posts mentioning it.

Had a DMF go in a mkiv Golf I owned previously, it happened all of a sudden on a motorway drive with no prior warning. Is there a way to spot this before it happens with the A5?

Any idea what to listen out for regarding worn timing chain tensioners?

Also noticed some bubbling under paint at either end of boot handle, not much could be easily sorted

Thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response.

I’ll have to read up more on the EGR, noticed a couple of posts mentioning it.

Had a DMF go in a mkiv Golf I owned previously, it happened all of a sudden on a motorway drive with no prior warning. Is there a way to spot this before it happens with the A5?

Any idea what to listen out for regarding worn timing chain tensioners?

Also noticed some bubbling under paint at either end of boot handle, not much could be easily sorted

Thanks again
flywheel tends to start by causing judder when pulling off from what i've read up. mine has a little bit of judder in reverse when very cold but otherwise nothing so i suspect the reversing bit is just down to a cold clutch as i have no slip or any judder in any forward gears

timing chain noise -

yeah i've got a spot of rust at either end on mine and both of my front wings have bubbling paint but i'm not massively fussed, if i ever became too bothered about it i could pull a pair from a wreckers and bolt the "new" ones on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts