Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading this forum for few months now and finally decided to join up and take part after Audi finally pushed me too far. I ordered a 1.8T with usual options; 19" y Spokes, DRLs, electric seats etc etc, on 20th Feb 2008 through a finance company I know who got me a good discount. I was told delivery would be about end June 2008, this was then changed to 1st week August. I have just been contacted by the girl at the finance company to tell me she has been contacted by their Audi dealer and told that they have just had an email informing them to tell all their outstanding customers that delivery on 1.8T manuals will now be December at earliest due to "production delays". Has anyone else been hit by this bombshell or is someone taking the rip?? Unfortunately I can't find out who the dealer in question is.

I currently have an A4 Sline Cab and previously had a A4 Sline Avant and have been very pleased with both cars and was looking forward to owning the good looking A5. Unfortunately if the above is true I may have to look at other options and it would appear that Audi are becoming a bit of a joke, even Clarkson's comment on Sunday's Top Gear that they had only made 1 A5for the advert may not be as stupid as it first sounded!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I work in vehicle finance and unfortunately, you have probably been the victim of the fact that finance / lease / contract hire companies often get their vehicles shoved to the back of production lists. This can be due to several factors: If they are a big firm that order lots of cars they will expect mega discounts and hence the units aren't as profitable for Audi / supplying dealer as retail customers. Secondly, if they are a small firm ordering only a few cars they get pushed back as they are only "small fry".

When I ordered my car at the end of May, the chap that does our contract hire stuff said that there was no way I would be in a car before christmas and even later if I went for the diesel. Its got a scheduled build week of this week (waiting on a call from my dealer who is on holiday for confirmation of this :rolleyes:).

You may be better off switching to a 2.0T, sourcing the car yourself and then getting the finance co to negotiate with the dealer, if they will, some do.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you in the UK? I was told at my local dealership on Saturday that 2.0T orders are now a December build but as I got in very quickly (changed 1.8 order to 2.0 on day that new engine was announced thanks to this brilliant site) mine is in build now; however, they also said that the 1.8 builds had all been bought forward! Seems like there is no consistency to the information (or lack of) being transmitted to either the dealerships or the customers. Certainly the hail stone episode is having an effect. Apparently about 900 Audis were potentially damaged although only about 40 definitely so. Nonetheless, all of the vehicles are been returned to the factory for detailed inspection of the paintwork/panelwork. The customers affected directly are being compensated; however there must be a knock-on effect for cars scheduled for production.
I hope this info is useful but I can only relay what I have been told and therefore its accuracy cannot be verified.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Welcome, Sorry to hear mate, I ordered after you and got my car in the UK in less than 12 weeks. I went the Company finance route aswell. As Booster says you will likely be better off getting an order in for the 2.0T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just recently joined the forum and this is my first reply.

Sorry to hear about your delays.

I ordered my A5 in April and was told by the dealer to expect delivery around September/October. The dealer I use has a member of staff who is responsible for keeping customers up to date with the progress of their orders via telephone, email, etc.

I must say the communication has been great and last week I was informed that Audi have given an indicative build date of 18 August, which I have been told will be confirmed in due course, with delivery in late September.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've spoken to contact and suggested change to 2.0T. She has been informed by dealer that delivery is about same, being December (didn't say what year!!!), so seriously considering changing order as seems a lot more car for not too much more money and I would suspect that resale value over 1.8T will recover initial increased outlay.

Does anyone know if the UK 2.0T sport spec is different to the 1.8T sport spec as the dealer apparently says not but the online audi litereature would suggest 2.0 includes some things as standard, especially xenon/drls.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Its the same as the 1.8T. Xenons and DRLs are six cyliner and above (unless they've changed it in the last couple of weeks).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would agree with Booster.

I have just checked the A5 manual online on Audi's website which is dated June 2008. It would appear that unless you go for a V6 model, the Xenons/DRLs are an option for the 1.8T/2.0T.

I guess the only difference between the 1.8T/2.0T base model and sport model is the engine size and therefore becomes personal choice, especially if the lead times for delivery are similar.

Out of interest, I recently spoke to my dealer who informed me that given the popularity of the A5, any orders placed with them today for an A5, delivery may not take place this side of the year and would fall into next year.

I must admit this is the second car I have ordered from Audi in the last couple of years. The first was the new TT Coupe which I ordered in November 2006 and took delivery in April 2007 (6 months wait). The second car which is my A5, was ordered in April 2008 and should be ready for delivery in September (6 months).

I am not sure if certain dealers get better allocations than others or if leasing/finance companies are not treated with the same priority. However, what I have been told is that Audi are very strict on the number of cars they produce compared to other car manufacturers, and this is reflected both in lead times for customers and resale values of used models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Booster. To change to another make will probably mean a 12wk wait if I spec a car and there aren't many other cars out there that appeal to me (not that I can afford anyway). I'm convincing myself more and more to change the order to the 2.0T sport, I'll just have to see if I can nail them for more discount for messing me around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry 2 hear about Adb, I think am quite lucky am picking mine up next Tuesday but i'll ordered 3.0 TDi Sport Tip, originally they said 2 me Sept delivery but is finally arrived just awaiting for transportation. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've spoken to contact and suggested change to 2.0T. She has been informed by dealer that delivery is about same, being December (didn't say what year!!!), so seriously considering changing order as seems a lot more car for not too much more money and I would suspect that resale value over 1.8T will recover initial increased outlay.

Does anyone know if the UK 2.0T sport spec is different to the 1.8T sport spec as the dealer apparently says not but the online audi litereature would suggest 2.0 includes some things as standard, especially xenon/drls.
Bear in mind that not only does the 2.0T give you a lot more torque but the fuel economy is slightly better than the 1.8T and the CO2 emissions put it at a lower tax band! Well worth the extra money I think. Hopefully will soon be able to post real impressions as the car is currently in build.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have decided "in for a penny in for a pound", so have changed order to 2.0T expected delivery December/January. One dealer offered me one with September delivery but wouldn't give any discount so told them to shove it. Will just have to put up with driving round in A4 Cab for a bit longer (suppose it gives me longer to sell it for a decent price), would be nice if weather cleared up...at least I could put roof down.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I was destined for a long LONG wait, but being me, i tried several options but in the end narrowed it down to getting a ex-demonstrator..... Tried an S5 and 3 A5's.......

After Testing the one i liked, borrowed it for a weekend for a good trial.... what a weekend :D Took the car back on the Monday Morning, Done the deal and it was mine by the end of the week ..... Picked it back up on the Friday :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got no advice to offer adb on his choice of model - I just wanted to say hi to someone who lives in Bury - my home town!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.