Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently purchased an S5, it should be arriving late this week and I am quite excited. My question is though, will more power be needed? I am coming from a stage 2 STi (Turbo back, intake tune). I've been doing quite a lot of research and I'm seeing many of the numbers are matching stock STi's. What performance parts will add power, but keep the car looking and sounding as stock as possible. I was trying to find a tuner, but couldn't. Also all of the catbacks seem to be very loud. I sold the STi for a reason, if you know what I mean. Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi, you should find plenty in the 'mods' section, or try a search.

However, here's my reply:

...Remap should add about 20 BHP and 15 NM torque without adding noise, and a BMC airfilter will complement the tuning, even if not specifically adding power.

Lighter alloys... puts more HP on the road for the same engine power. reducing rotating mass is 5x more effective in improving acceleration per Kg (Lb for you Americans!) than static mass. My suggestion would be to stick with 19" alloys and go no wider than the stock 8.5" (as this just adds mass) and you should be able to save around 4Kg (10Lb) per wheel, which should put about 20BHP more on the road.

Then there's the MTM Supercharger! ...takes it to 500BHP but its expensive and doesn't solve the noise problem!

Finally, I think you will find that between the STi and the S5 we are talking different beasts here when it comes to 'noise'. If you are worried about internal cabin noise, then let me put it this way... with the stock exhaust it really is very quiet inside the car. With a resonated cat-back, it's louder, but far from intrusive and when not under load, very quiet indeed. Of course, all things are relative, so try it with stock and see if you think you could cope with something a little louder.

Cheers!

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I was thinking about this as a setup.

Cat Back w/ High Flow Cats
ECU Tuning

But I was gonna replace the mufflers to w/e exhaust I get with the stock ones. Also with the STi, a downpipe made a big difference in exhaust note. Would it be the same way with the S5? Furthermore, would switching the mufflers take away from performance? That you for any help...oh and I was searching around and I keep seeing different numbers. What does a stock S5 dyno at?

·
Registered
198 Posts
...oh and I was searching around and I keep seeing different numbers. What does a stock S5 dyno at?
Depends on the type of dyno and a zillion other factors but in one recent thread, PES showed 290WHP on a DynoJet for a stock car and my car ran 268WHP with a cat-back exhaust (assume 255-260WHP bone-stock) on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Also with the STi, a downpipe made a big difference in exhaust note. Would it be the same way with the S5?
Very little change in exhaust note when I swapped-out the stock downpipes for the AWEs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a piece of shit right, your girlfriend must have hated the STi. Loud and annoying lol.
Actually the girlfriend LOVED the STi. The car was a nice beat around toy. We aren't gonna have that luxury with the S5, unfortunately. I put that thing through hell and back, as did she haha. By no means was that car a "piece of shit", no other car would have been able to handle the abuse I put it through for the 3 years I had it.

So by getting a new cat back and changing the tips to stock will the performance suffer? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hello everyone. I recently purchased an S5, it should be arriving late this week and I am quite excited. My question is though, will more power be needed? I am coming from a stage 2 STi (Turbo back, intake tune). I've been doing quite a lot of research and I'm seeing many of the numbers are matching stock STi's. What performance parts will add power, but keep the car looking and sounding as stock as possible. I was trying to find a tuner, but couldn't. Also all of the catbacks seem to be very loud. I sold the STi for a reason, if you know what I mean. Thank you for any assistance.
Jon,

I've been in the JDM tuner scene for quite a while, and from experience I can tell you that the STi with an HKS Carbon Ti is louder than pretty much any exhaust currently available for the S5. Also, like Ian says, you hear less of it inside because of better sound insulation.

Even though all of the recommenations above will make the car very quick, no mod presently available for the S5 will return the same kick in the pants feel that the STi did, at any power level, but my advice coming from a similar situation is to just get the car and drive it around for a few weeks before you make up your mind. You'll realize that the S5 has a very different kind of power. You're in the power band pretty much all the time, and more importantly, it's a low stress engine. You are NEVER concerned with heat, a/f ratio, EGT's, etc. Just put in the key and drive.

And if at the end, you are still craving boost, do what I did and keep a project car around. =) Supercharging is of course an option, the PES and VFE kits should both be awesome, but nothing will beat the power for money ratio that you get from a turbo JDM car.

Just food for thought.

-Ray

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I wish that was possible.

Btw Ray, your S5 is absolutely beautiful. IDK what it is about your pic, but it looks very nice.

I was looking online and I saw the stasis S5 is pulling off a 4.6 0-6, which isn't to bad at all, and the only mods to the engine seem to be tuning and catback?? I guess with a nice launch, cat back, tuning, intake, and downpipe a 4.5 or lower may be achievable. I must say I wasn't to impressed with the quarter mile numbers though. If this car weren't so damn nice, I'd have a much faster car, but interior and exterior wise there is no beating it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I wish that was possible.

Btw Ray, your S5 is absolutely beautiful. IDK what it is about your pic, but it looks very nice.

I was looking online and I saw the stasis S5 is pulling off a 4.6 0-6, which isn't to bad at all, and the only mods to the engine seem to be tuning and catback?? I guess with a nice launch, cat back, tuning, intake, and downpipe a 4.5 or lower may be achievable. I must say I wasn't to impressed with the quarter mile numbers though. If this car weren't so damn nice, I'd have a much faster car, but interior and exterior wise there is no beating it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts