Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I'm brand new to this forum. I have a 2010 A5 S Line 3.2 FSI.

I am not yet an auto buff (from a technical perspective - but I am working on my education in that regard), but I do understand that with a Normally Aspirated engine, my economical horsepower options are severely limited.

So, if any of you have any experience with tuning your 3.2 FSI, I would would greatly appreciate the benefit of your insights and advice.

Any comments are welcome, but I do have a few specific questions (some of these will seem silly). If you can, please take the time to read the following and comment on anything that falls within the purview of your experience:

1) I have a tiptronic (standard) transmission. I love the AWE pedal covers: AWE Tuning Performance Pedal Covers AWE Tuning. Can the thin brake pedal cover be installed onto the "wide" manual transmission brake pedal?

2) I am interested in the AWE Tuning Quad Touring Exhaust: AWE Tuning Track/Touring Edition Performance Exhaust AWE Tuning. I see that this exhaust is listed to add 8 hp at the crank. Are consumers generally happy with this exhaust? Would you recommend another exhaust that might be better? Is there another exhaust system out there that would add significantly more power? The ECS Tuning Catback Exhaust perhaps? Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't seem to locate any reported horsepower gains: Audi B8 A5 Quattro V6 3.2L > Exhaust > Performance > ES#2550630 Stainless Cat Back Exhaust - 16597

3) I am looking at the AWE S-Flo Intake System: AWE Tuning S-FLO Intake System AWE Tuning Are people generally happy with this? I see it lists a 7 hp gain. Have any of you noticed a difference with the new intake? Is there another one that any of you would recommend over the AWE System? [SEE BELOW] What type of hp gain might one expect from the APR Carbonio Intake? The website alleges ~9 hp for this intake on the S5, but there is no report for the A5 3.2. Should I assume the gain is the same?Audi B8 A5 Quattro V6 3.2L > Engine > Intake > ES#2192982 APR Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake - CI100023; APR Audi B8 4.2L FSI, 3.2L FSI & 3.0 TDI Carbonio Intake System

4) [SEE BELOW] What is the story with the M-cantronic piggyback system offered by Motodyne: Audi A5 3.2L factory supercharger engine code CAL Can this be a stand-alone chip-tune? It seems extremely expensive. Or is it merely the remap for the supercharger? If it can stand alone, what type of performance gains are we looking at? The website fails to specify and Motodyne has not returned my calls.

5) Is there a chip-tune for the 3.2 FSI that anyone would recommend for power gains that wont interrupt the "smoothness" of the ride? How about this tune by Unitronic that alleges a 12 hp gain? Audi - A5 - 3.2L V6 FSI - Engine - Unitronic - Performance Software - Audi A5 3.2L FSI - KMD Tuning & Engineering; Audi A5 B8 3.2L FSI V6 ECU Tuning Software - by Unitronic. Thoughts? Is this alleged gain backed by dyno testing?

6) [SEE BELOW] Recommendations for calipers? I still have stock and I want something a little beefier, that will look good painted gloss-black.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Your comments and input are very much appreciated.

While I'm here, a few pictures of my A5 S Line: ImageShack Album - 4 images

[If anyone is curious about my rims, I simply purchased a new set of S-Line Rims (I had rashed mine) and had them powder-coated black. I then blacked out my trim to match.]

Ravage - Decepticon Spy.

EDIT: I am emailing some of these vendors for their reports on some of these questions, such as APR, KMD/Unitronic and MotoDyne. I will post their responses.

Speaking of responses... where is the commentary from the Audi world!?

ANSWERS

Question 3 [Partial Answer]: Recieved from APR Tuned on November 15, 2012: With the carbonio intake on the 3.2L motor you can expect to see around a 9 hp gain over stock. Feel free to take a look at the link below for additional information on this intake along with a dyno chart: http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_carbonio_42fsi_s5.html

Note that the carbonio intake for the 4.2L FSI motor is the same intake used on the 3.2L FSI motor.

Question 4: Recieved from Motodyne on November 15, 2012 - the German made cantronic unit is a can-bus piggyback, they work great but on a normally aspirated Audi such as yours the power gain is minimal, to date I do not think anyone is flashing the ECU for power gain in the 3.2L, all the tuners have programs now for the 3.0T power plant. We carry the cantronic for use with our 3.2L supercharger upgrade that we offer and the Diesel powered a5.

Question 6: Advice from Will, with AWE Tuning (Thanks Will!) - If you are looking for something a bit beefier we offer Brembo and Stoptech Big Brake Kits in sizes up to 6-piston calipers and 380mm rotors. If you aren't quite ready to go that big, I would look into S5 or RS5 calipers and rotors.

Email I recieved from my buddy, Jeffrey Cowan, who is an auto buff. His insights might be helpful to others: Unless you plan on doing a whole engine swap to a forced induction engine you will be more or less throwing money away trying to get more power. You can try and find more aggressive cams and better valves and such but that means a full rebuild of the engine. My first question is what kind of rubber are you running on and how light are your wheels? Your car can only accelerate or turn as fast as its tires will let it and getting rid of weight from anything that spins will make it seem like you've removed twice as much. The next place I'd go for performance mods would be the suspension. You can get a nice set of thick Anti-Roll bars for the front and rear and either coil-overs(more expensive) or lowering springs and new struts. If you're set on trying to squeeze more power from your engine with bolt on upgrades then anything that will help air flow in and out of the engine will improve power, but don't expect anything ludicrous. People may have done it but I highly suggest you stay away from installing any bolt on turbo or supercharger kits, your engine already has a 12.5:1 compression ratio which is far too high for something with boost.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Welcome first of all. Not familiar with thev3.2FSI myself, but hear options are limited. Recogn you might be able to get a little extra power with exhaust, but probably not from the intake, at least nothing worth mentioning. Why not stick a turbo on it? :D

Also not sure if you can get effective remaps for it. Sorry I'm of little use here!

Still welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a Supercharger Option, but it ranges between 9 grand for a Stage I and 17 grand for a stage 2 (500+ hp). At those prices, plus the additional work I may have to do (breaks, suspension etc., to manage that kind of power), I feel it would be more economical to go out and get an S5... :thumbsdown:

·
Sponsors
1,002 Posts
Any comments are welcome, but I do have a few specific questions (some of these will seem silly). If you can, please take the time to read the following and comment on anything that falls within the purview of your experience:

1) I have a tiptronic (standard) transmission. I love the AWE pedal covers: AWE Tuning Performance Pedal Covers AWE Tuning. Can the thin brake pedal cover be installed onto the "wide" manual transmission brake pedal?

-The brake pedal from our set is only designed for manual pedals, and would require modification to work in a tiptronic car.

2) I am interested in the AWE Tuning Quad Touring Exhaust: AWE Tuning Track/Touring Edition Performance Exhaust AWE Tuning. I see that this exhaust is listed to add 8 hp at the crank. Are consumers generally happy with this exhaust? Would you recommend another exhaust that might be better? Is there another exhaust system out there that would add significantly more power? The ECS Tuning Catback Exhaust perhaps? Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't seem to locate any reported horsepower gains: Audi B8 A5 Quattro V6 3.2L > Exhaust > Performance > ES#2550630 Stainless Cat Back Exhaust - 16597

-I really like the sound of ours, but then again, I am a bit biased. Since the naturally aspirated cars have a generally efficient exhaust design as to no hinder efficiency, gains from any system will not be large. I would personally check around for reviews and videos to determine which you like best.

3) I am looking at the AWE S-Flo Air Filter: AWE Tuning S-FLO Intake System AWE Tuning Are people generally happy with this? I see it lists a 7 hp gain. Have any of you noticed a difference with the new filter? Is there another one that any of you would recommend over the AWE filter? What type of hp gain might one expect from the APR Carbonio Intake? The website alleges ~9 hp for this intake on the S5, but there is no report for the A5 3.2. Should I assume the gain is the same?Audi B8 A5 Quattro V6 3.2L > Engine > Intake > ES#2192982 APR Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake - CI100023; APR Audi B8 4.2L FSI, 3.2L FSI & 3.0 TDI Carbonio Intake System

-With this type of upgrade, the most "felt" improvement will be throttle response. The HP will also be felt to a certain extent, but like many improvements for naturally aspirated cars, the difference will not be a massive one.

4) [SEE BELOW] What is the story with the M-cantronic piggyback system offered by Motodyne: Audi A5 3.2L factory supercharger engine code CAL Can this be a stand-alone chip-tune? It seems extremely expensive. Or is it merely the remap for the supercharger? If it can stand alone, what type of performance gains are we looking at? The website fails to specify and Motodyne has not returned my calls.

-I have no experience with this, so I can't say much. What I can say is that with any piggyback system, eventually the ECU will revert towards factory settings

5) Is there a chip-tune for the 3.2 FSI that anyone would recommend for power gains that wont interrupt the "smoothness" of the ride? How about this tune by Unitronic that alleges a 12 hp gain? Audi - A5 - 3.2L V6 FSI - Engine - Unitronic - Performance Software - Audi A5 3.2L FSI - KMD Tuning & Engineering; Audi A5 B8 3.2L FSI V6 ECU Tuning Software - by Unitronic. Thoughts? Is this alleged gain backed by dyno testing?

6) Recommendations for calipers? I still have stock and I want something a little beefier, that will look good painted gloss-black.

-If you are looking for something a bit beefier we offer Brembo and Stoptech Big Brake Kits in sizes up to 6-piston calipers and 380mm rotors. If you aren't quite ready to go that big, I would look into S5 or RS5 calipers and rotors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Will,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

You can take some personal edification in the fact that you just sold 1 Touring exhaust.

Bang-bang!

Moving along... I really think you should do something about those pedals. I want a set for my tiptronic. Would these "modifications" need to happen on your end or my end? I'd be happy to pay if they're on your end.

How much to have your shop fab a wide, automatic brake-pedal for the set? Would you do this?

·
Sponsors
1,002 Posts
Nice! You are going to love the exhaust. The brake pedal will need to be looked at to see if the contour will be the same or different from the Manual brake pedal, and of course widened. With the prevalence of tiptronic/dsg cars, we really should look into doing a set. I will bring it up in the next meeting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Ravage,

I've got a very similar car
Black
3.2fsi
S Line
manual

I've got an exhaust, and live in Moncton... Feel free to PM me, and come on over for a test drive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! You are going to love the exhaust. The brake pedal will need to be looked at to see if the contour will be the same or different from the Manual brake pedal, and of course widened. With the prevalence of tiptronic/dsg cars, we really should look into doing a set. I will bring it up in the next meeting.
It would be great if you could get back to me on the result. I would love to buy a set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ravage,

I've got a very similar car
Black
3.2fsi
S Line
manual

I've got an exhaust, and live in Moncton... Feel free to PM me, and come on over for a test drive!
Thanks XPress, I will definitely take you up on this. What do you have for an exhaust, specifically?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've heard horror stories about Motodyne and the owner. You can easily find out about this dreadful company by searching on AZ or AW plenty can attest.
Kind of fishy Motodyne is the only one on the market that offers a supercharger for our car yet everyone else claims it cannot be done. (You'd have to reduce the compression of the motor change internals etc. very pricey and you'd probably cut the life of the motor in half.)

For the exhaust go with the AWE, this will transform your car into a whole other beast the way it should sound. Albeit minimal power gains nothing too noticeable.

I personally have the Volant intake as AWE wanted to charge me almost $400.00 for a new silicone hose which is bogus and they re-use your stock air box. Same with Carbonio, but instead it is a new air box and they keep the stock hose. Whereas Volant is an entirely new intake and air box. (At least I feel I got something for my money, and not an AWE red colored hose that's no bigger than the stock one or an APR carbon fiber covered stock air box.)

Never had my car dynoed but I can definitely feel a better response with both added to the car.

I live 5 minutes away from where KMD Tuning was located, they have since moved to another location in NJ. Had inquired myself about their unitronic chip only to come to the conclusion that it was a glorified sprint booster. Save your money buy some sway bars. Plus the dealer re-flashes you car every time you go in for service so you would lose the tune (and possibly void you warranty if you still have one). Most companies will only re-flash you 2-3 times before they have to charge you again.

There is a reason why Audi moved to forced induction for their cars 2.0T, 3.0T and put away the NA. Smaller engines with a possibility of much bigger power gains, gas mileage etc. Your not gonna go out and put down better numbers than a g37 or 370z even with all the above mods because the car is a tank. Reduce the weight get some light weight wheels, sticky tires, roll bars and a drop, and be happy with the way this car looks and sounds when your done.

Also a carbon fiber hood, trunk, some recaros and about 45 minutes of cardio a day will keep the weight off the car. :2thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your A5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard horror stories about Motodyne and the owner. You can easily find out about this dreadful company by searching on AZ or AW plenty can attest.
Kind of fishy Motodyne is the only one on the market that offers a supercharger for our car yet everyone else claims it cannot be done. (You'd have to reduce the compression of the motor change internals etc. very pricey and you'd probably cut the life of the motor in half.)

For the exhaust go with the AWE, this will transform your car into a whole other beast the way it should sound. Albeit minimal power gains nothing too noticeable.

I personally have the Volant intake as AWE wanted to charge me almost $400.00 for a new silicone hose which is bogus and they re-use your stock air box. Same with Carbonio, but instead it is a new air box and they keep the stock hose. Whereas Volant is an entirely new intake and air box. (At least I feel I got something for my money, and not an AWE red colored hose that's no bigger than the stock one or an APR carbon fiber covered stock air box.)

Never had my car dynoed but I can definitely feel a better response with both added to the car.

I live 5 minutes away from where KMD Tuning was located, they have since moved to another location in NJ. Had inquired myself about their unitronic chip only to come to the conclusion that it was a glorified sprint booster. Save your money buy some sway bars. Plus the dealer re-flashes you car every time you go in for service so you would lose the tune (and possibly void you warranty if you still have one). Most companies will only re-flash you 2-3 times before they have to charge you again.

There is a reason why Audi moved to forced induction for their cars 2.0T, 3.0T and put away the NA. Smaller engines with a possibility of much bigger power gains, gas mileage etc. Your not gonna go out and put down better numbers than a g37 or 370z even with all the above mods because the car is a tank. Reduce the weight get some light weight wheels, sticky tires, roll bars and a drop, and be happy with the way this car looks and sounds when your done.

Also a carbon fiber hood, trunk, some recaros and about 45 minutes of cardio a day will keep the weight off the car. :2thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your A5.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. Very very helpful. I also f*cking love your Avatar. Best one I've seen yet. Is that a legit photo or is it photoshopped?

Looks like it's going to be an RS5 in 2016...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Avatar is a real photo. In eurospec cars the parking lights(the amber orange piece in the headlight housing) are actually located above the DRL's. If you look at your headlight there is a false plug sitting in the housing at least that what is was for me. A simple switch of the wiring and you get the resulted pictured. Here's a bigger photo for you to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you don't mind if I post this elsewhere...

In the words of a good buddy, this picture is the straight business. :dance:

·
Registered
4 Posts
A5 3.2L motodyne/s4 supercharger conversion

Motodyne/The s4 compressor with a stud change kit for the intake side of the heads will bolt onto all the 3.2L engine blocks. An S4 crank pulley is used , the setup is basically a replication of the s4 powerplant..
key changes:
on a stock 3.2L engine the supercharger gets a mechanical pneumatic controlled wastegate set for 6.5psi unlike the digital controlled bypass used on a stock s4 . We use an MTM cantronic unit and this is how boost and fuel are adjusted to allow the compressor to run correctly. WE use a fluid dyne heat exchanger similar to a gt500 Shelby

and yes I am the only company in the world running this setup

Robert Hackstetter
motodyne.com
856-470-6067
hated for being intelligent
Despised for being innovative

·
Registered
21 Posts
Motodyne/The s4 compressor with a stud change kit for the intake side of the heads will bolt onto all the 3.2L engine blocks. An S4 crank pulley is used , the setup is basically a replication of the s4 powerplant..
key changes:
on a stock 3.2L engine the supercharger gets a mechanical pneumatic controlled wastegate set for 6.5psi unlike the digital controlled bypass used on a stock s4 . We use an MTM cantronic unit and this is how boost and fuel are adjusted to allow the compressor to run correctly. WE use a fluid dyne heat exchanger similar to a gt500 Shelby

and yes I am the only company in the world running this setup

Robert Hackstetter
motodyne.com
856-470-6067
hated for being intelligent
Despised for being innovative

There's very little information regarding your S/C set up for the 3.2; do you have any video or dyno information? The website only has installation instructions, but doesn't discuss power levels, supporting modifications, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's very little information regarding your S/C set up for the 3.2; do you have any video or dyno information? The website only has installation instructions, but doesn't discuss power levels, supporting modifications, etc. Thanks.
anything other then the money spent for engineering of the product itself in today's economy is just a waste of time and money IMO. I wait for my clients to produce videos because I'm not into video production or marketing especially to a community that bases all purchases on the resell value of their vehicle, if this was a 1000 dollar kit it would be all over this forum and youtube, and if or (when) it gets copied like all my prior work then these posts will turn into how great (such and such's company) is for making such a killer supercharger for the A5

·
Registered
21 Posts
anything other then the money spent for engineering of the product itself in today's economy is just a waste of time and money IMO. I wait for my clients to produce videos because I'm not into video production or marketing especially to a community that bases all purchases on the resell value of their vehicle, if this was a 1000 dollar kit it would be all over this forum and youtube, and if or (when) it gets copied like all my prior work then these posts will turn into how great (such and such's company) is for making such a killer supercharger for the A5
So, people are supposed to drop $9k with basically zero information regarding the product? I'm not asking for a multi-million dollar marketing campaign, but I think some additional information would be helpful for those who are considering (or in my case, considered) your product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
showing how it's installed and explaining how it works and letting potential customers try a prepared a5 has been enough... people that spend 20 or 200 thousand dollars that need an Internet forum to make a decision are people that I never want as clients because they are incapable of making their own decisions and that is very hard to deal with in my business.......
your prior post kinda tells the story
"Email I recieved from my buddy, Jeffrey Cowan, who is an auto buff. His insights might be helpful to others: Unless you plan on doing a whole engine swap to a forced induction engine you will be more or less throwing money away trying to get more power.
WRONG AGAIN!!!!

So, people are supposed to drop $9k with basically zero information regarding the product? I'm not asking for a multi-million dollar marketing campaign, but I think some additional information would be helpful for those who are considering (or in my case, considered) your product.

·
Registered
21 Posts
showing how it's installed and explaining how it works and letting potential customers try a prepared a5 has been enough... people that spend 20 or 200 thousand dollars that need an Internet forum to make a decision are people that I never want as clients because they are incapable of making their own decisions and that is very hard to deal with in my business.......
your prior post kinda tells the story
"Email I recieved from my buddy, Jeffrey Cowan, who is an auto buff. His insights might be helpful to others: Unless you plan on doing a whole engine swap to a forced induction engine you will be more or less throwing money away trying to get more power.
WRONG AGAIN!!!!
What is the purpose of you joining this forum, let alone posting in this thread then? You clearly don't need the publicity of an internet forum...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts