Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer yesterday and when I got my car back the GPS now shows the traffic congestion for the highways. This is just like what you would see using Google maps. Anyone else get this recent update, or I am just late to the show?

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
and it did not do this before ??
than there was something wrong.
when satnav is active, the display should show traffic-jams, based om TMC

·
Registered
191 Posts
and it did not do this before ??
than there was something wrong.
when satnav is active, the display should show traffic-jams, based om TMC
no this is new I just noticed this as well. Normally in the US we have to pay a $7/mo fee for sirius based traffic, now its free I guess. Check my thread below.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What thread? When I first bought the car the GPS would recalculate if the traffic patterns changed. Either way it's a great feature.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ME Too !!

I went to the dealer yesterday and when I got my car back the GPS now shows the traffic congestion for the highways. This is just like what you would see using Google maps. Anyone else get this recent update, or I am just late to the show?
I posted in other places, and now am reading posts everywhere about this.

I never had it function prior to yesterday. My dealer said it was not here in Canada yet, which I found rediculous, as It worked in my other car (2010 Volvo ) with Nav and Sirius.

I am so happy its here now. I hear a lot of talk that its an extra charge in the USA.
I am 99% sure that its not extra here. I dont pay for it in the Volvo, and there has been no offer or demand from Sirius Canada to pay extra or to offer it as a package.
I know the content is indentical to Sirius USA because we also have it in our home and that was purchased in New York, and my subscription is to Sirius USA....we got 2 years before coming to Canada.

Finally.....its just screwed up how it didnt function in the audi.
My car said something about the subscription updating on its own yesterday, and then like magic....I had Nav-Info. !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted in other places, and now am reading posts everywhere about this.

I never had it function prior to yesterday. My dealer said it was not here in Canada yet, which I found rediculous, as It worked in my other car (2010 Volvo ) with Nav and Sirius.

I am so happy its here now. I hear a lot of talk that its an extra charge in the USA.
I am 99% sure that its not extra here. I dont pay for it in the Volvo, and there has been no offer or demand from Sirius Canada to pay extra or to offer it as a package.
I know the content is indentical to Sirius USA because we also have it in our home and that was purchased in New York, and my subscription is to Sirius USA....we got 2 years before coming to Canada.

Finally.....its just screwed up how it didnt function in the audi.
My car said something about the subscription updating on its own yesterday, and then like magic....I had Nav-Info. !!
Whats your dealer, out of curiousity?
I got my A5 2012 and was told too, that the NAV Info was not working anymore in canada... Can I just get an update or something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
guys,

Not sure if this is it but I got a free subscription to Sirius for my F150 for Aug31-Sept16. I have a new 2012 S5 i picked up just 2 weeks ago so I cant really tell due to the free trial deal they do but I would think this might be it. Just not 100% if traffic is included in the deal this summer and if its just for the US

·
Registered
374 Posts
Guys, I'm pretty sure it's just the latest free trial that Sirius US is offering right now.

Davidrf59, Sirius Canada has never offered traffic info. They still don't, as far as I know. If you are in Canada and is getting traffic info, it's because it's coming thru Sirius US.

As a side note, Sirius Canada is not a subsidiary but a licensee of Sirius US, and content is not identical to Sirius US.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I seems we might consider ourselves lucky here in EU, since we hvae tmc and it is for free. I imagine the tmc receiver is still present in the NA cars, but maybe disabled. How difficult would it be to just setup a non commercial tmc broadcast station and transmit the traffic info over tmc (it is "simple" FM radio........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Whats your dealer, out of curiousity?
I got my A5 2012 and was told too, that the NAV Info was not working anymore in canada... Can I just get an update or something?
my car comes from Gabriel West Island Audi.
The dealers don't seem to know much about this....It seems Audi Canada is not giving them any info, and I have also contacted Sirius Canada, and they too are not clued in.

Lots of clueless people working for Audi and Sirius here in Canada. I am just happy its working, and with a little luck will continue to do so.
I figure its better not contact Sirius anymore on this subject, as they will find a way to charge for it.
My Buddy bought an Acura MDX 30 months ago, was told his free trial was for 6 months, and his continues to work. Free is always nice !!! go with the flow !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Guys, I'm pretty sure it's just the latest free trial that Sirius US is offering right now.

Davidrf59, Sirius Canada has never offered traffic info. They still don't, as far as I know. If you are in Canada and is getting traffic info, it's because it's coming thru Sirius US.

As a side note, Sirius Canada is not a subsidiary but a licensee of Sirius US, and content is not identical to Sirius US.
Hey DeMOROlized....( interesting choice of name.....sounds ominous !! ) I responded to you on the other string, but still dont think it has anything to do with a free trial offer from the US. If so, as mentioned in the other string, Why do I get it in my Volvo ??
I dont know if there are lower packages sold by Sirius, but I know that I have their highest end one with all content, ( not the extra subscriptions for Sports and other channels offered seperately) and its the identical subscription for both my Audi and Volvo. They are both under the same account.
THE TMC traffic has always worked from Day 1 ( April 15th 2010 ) when I picked up the Volvo....its quite the service and has save me from getting stuck in traffic on multiple occassions. I think this issue is based more on the software installed in the sound systems in the Audi, and how they recive the TMC info. Maybe its something to do with the fact that the Nav Info is dealt with on a seperate button, and that the signal required to receive it needed more gain. I am no electronics expert, but this whole thing seems too weird.
Why in some brands of cars and not others ?
I will call Sirius again, but will not discuss it as my car. Just simply to get info.

I will keep everyone up to date as i learn more !!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey DeMOROlized....( interesting choice of name.....sounds ominous !! ) I responded to you on the other string, but still dont think it has anything to do with a free trial offer from the US. If so, as mentioned in the other string, Why do I get it in my Volvo ??
I dont know if there are lower packages sold by Sirius, but I know that I have their highest end one with all content, ( not the extra subscriptions for Sports and other channels offered seperately) and its the identical subscription for both my Audi and Volvo. They are both under the same account.
THE TMC traffic has always worked from Day 1 ( April 15th 2010 ) when I picked up the Volvo....its quite the service and has save me from getting stuck in traffic on multiple occassions. I think this issue is based more on the software installed in the sound systems in the Audi, and how they recive the TMC info. Maybe its something to do with the fact that the Nav Info is dealt with on a seperate button, and that the signal required to receive it needed more gain. I am no electronics expert, but this whole thing seems too weird.
Why in some brands of cars and not others ?
I will call Sirius again, but will not discuss it as my car. Just simply to get info.

I will keep everyone up to date as i learn more !!
I have called and confirmed with Sirius Canada that they do not offer traffic info, period. It has nothing to do with the radio in your car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius but traffic is an additional $3.99 per month for me.They will negotiate price by the way. This feature has worked from day one! I did hear there was a MMI update to come a few months back.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius but traffic is an additional $3.99 per month for me.They will negotiate price by the way. This feature has worked from day one! I did hear there was a MMI update to come a few months back.
Unfortunately your situation is irrelevant because the issue is a unique situation in Canada. There is no problem at all getting Sirius traffic in in US.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, i got tmc traffic info to in my a5... However, here in Montreal it's just the construction info that is broadcasted and not the traffic flow per say... Anyway, better that than nothing ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Mystery remains

I have called and confirmed with Sirius Canada that they do not offer traffic info, period. It has nothing to do with the radio in your car.
If that's the case, then Sirius is now broadcasting it out of the USA and we are getting it here for free. Sirius USA does not have the Canadians accounts to bill them.

The part of this that still makes no sense, is that if they just started broadcasting this ( Even as a free trial ) then why has the TMC traffic info always been received in my other car for almost 1 1/2 yrs. ??
I agree that it is not offered as an option from Sirius Canada, as I also called them and they aid I have the full package, and there are no additional charges for what I am receiving, but they no nothing about the Traffic signal.

I am baffled.....Radio signals are Radio signals.....why one car and not the other, and then all of a sudden its there !!
The traffic info in the Volvo is also more comprehensive and shows more stuff sooner. Would be nice if someone at Sirius could answer this mystery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
press the nav info on your console
and u can alternatively check on your map you should see TMC on the right side of the screen.
So...when I'm in the Map mode, there should be "TMC" written on the right side screen in the info column?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts