Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a fault with the MMI screen? Mine failed the pre-delivery inspection because it was flashing intermittently. The replacement unit flown in from Germany apparently had the same fault. The third fix has now worked...

I have the Symphony system (no SatNav). The dealer tells me that the A5 can't retro-fit an ipod connection, unlike all other Audis. Anyone know otherwise?

Otherwise, 5,000 miles on my 3.0 tdi and all's very well. :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
MeteorSilver,
Good luck with your new screen - hope this one holds out and it's not a recurretn problem. For your iPod connection, my understanding is that you would need both DVD Sat Nav + (to give the larger MMI screen) and the Audi Music Interface (both factory fit options) to get your iPod to work in an A5.

As the model is still relatively new, there isn't much out there to support it yet (no Bluefin on superchips fo instance). However it might be worth an email to someone like Dension who make the ice>link to see if an A6 or A8 system would work. I've had one in my S4 for the last 4 years and it's very good, although the full AMI should be better.

Hope this helps - my car on order for Jan 08 delivery. Christmas? Bring on the New Year!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No iPod connection on standard MMI?

Scratch113,

Thanks for your comments.

As we know, in the UK market unless you're getting the £2000 SatNav you can't order the £200 factory fit iPod connection. So my dealer offered to fit an ipod connection once the car was delivered. This might have caused the damage to MMI screen, although he couldn't admit to that.

In the end, Audi technical confirmed that on the A5 they have removed the port at the back of the MMI and that it's no longer possible to dealer-fit an ipod connection.

Lastly, although the SD slot is a good feature, it only plays .mp3 files and not the .aac files that you have on your itunes library.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Lastly, although the SD slot is a good feature, it only plays .mp3 files and not the .aac files that you have on your itunes library.
Meteor,

I know there is a way to convert the .aac files to .mp3. My wife does it all the time. She is the iTunes junky in the family. I am sure if you do a search it will come up somewhere.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Meteor,

I know there is a way to convert the .aac files to .mp3. My wife does it all the time. She is the iTunes junky in the family. I am sure if you do a search it will come up somewhere.
Easy to do in itunes - just move the aac folders elsewhere, change the advance settings so that ifles are automatically converted to .mp3 when importing, and reimport the files into your itunes library - it will automatically convert them o .mp3. It will not howeveer release the drm on any songs purchased on itunes, that can only be played using your computer or ipod.

Goold luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your comments. It's good that the MMI fault doesn't seem to have happened to more owners. On the other hand, I think those of us with non SatNav MMI & BO are without a retro fit iPod option for the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts