Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't got my car yet, but something I thought of - is it possible to turn the MMI screen off completely yet still have music playing (radio/CD/iPod)?

I had an iPod dash-mounted in my old S4 and the screen was way too bright for night time, but you could turn off the screen back-light temporarily whilst it still played.

I know the Satnav goes to dark background and lighter coloured roads when the headlights come on, but if you're not using the Satnav and just listening to music, can the screen be turned off completely?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't got my car yet, but something I thought of - is it possible to turn the MMI screen off completely yet still have music playing (radio/CD/iPod)?

I had an iPod dash-mounted in my old S4 and the screen was way too bright for night time, but you could turn off the screen back-light temporarily whilst it still played.

I know the Satnav goes to dark background and lighter coloured roads when the headlights come on, but if you're not using the Satnav and just listening to music, can the screen be turned off completely?
I haven't found out how to turn off the screen (with or without any music or other use). On the A6 MMI, there is a button allowing to turn off the MMI screen, which I thought was handy for occasional use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, you can turn the display off (or vary the brightness if that's what's bothering you). It's in the car setup menu somewhere (apologies, can't remember exactly where off the top of my head).

Cheers,
Paul.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, think this is probably something I'll use a fair bit if I'm not using the Satnav. I usually have the instruments fairly dim, and I believe that Saabs used to have a feature allowing you to turn off all instrument lighting other than the speedo - sounds like a good feature to me, but believe it was unique to that marque. Don't know if they still do it though...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks guys, think this is probably something I'll use a fair bit if I'm not using the Satnav. I usually have the instruments fairly dim, and I believe that Saabs used to have a feature allowing you to turn off all instrument lighting other than the speedo - sounds like a good feature to me, but believe it was unique to that marque. Don't know if they still do it though...
I remember that on Saabs :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I remember that on Saabs :)
So do I! It's one of those ideas that you wish everyone would adopt. Maybe it's patented (like Ford's heated windscreen)..:confused:

·
Registered
735 Posts
So do I! It's one of those ideas that you wish everyone would adopt. Maybe it's patented (like Ford's heated windscreen)..:confused:
Our MINI Cooper S had a heated windscreen - I really miss that , well wifey does :p , on frosty mornings........

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My last two cars had heated screens (neither a Ford) and I really miss that option. At least I will do in a few weeks...

The map switches to night mode when headlights are on so it goes darker anyway. Plus having that running without a destination set is fine. Or you can just it onto information in case any travel alerts come up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Scratch,
I thought it was just me getting irritated with the MMI at night. My old A6 had one button for switching the display off. On the A5 it's 3 pushes - Setup, Display & Select. At least you can then view and select tracks using the wheel control and dash display. All considered, it's not Audi's finest ergonomic moment.

Has anyone worked out how to switch off the central dash display?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meteor,

Thanks for that - think I might go into my dealer and have a play around with the MMI on the A5 they've got in the showroom. Either that or ask if I can get another drive in their demonstrator...!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Drivers info on the dash cant be turned off by the driver however some functions can be disabled via mmi by deselecting them.It may be possible to code out drivers info via dealer or possible vag com(not sure how much vag com will do on a5 yet but i will be looking very soon)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.