Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that the MMI feature is only provided on the center console if you go for the Sat Nav option. Otherwise it looks like it gets relocated to the dashboard. If this is the case does it function in the same way?
I would have thought ergonomically Audi can't just move it to an arm's reach / vertical plane operation.
Not too pleased about the way this is offered in the Audi brochure, means you have got to take Sat Nav to get it the way its shown in their MMI pics - another £1975.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, it's true. The MMI is only in the centre console if you spec Sat Nav+, otherwise the controls are on the dash. The MMI basic obviously doesn't have the same functionality as the Sat Nav+ so it may well function slightly differently, and have fewer buttons etc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the general feeling about the worthiness of the SatNav + option, as I wasn't going for it but this MMI thing is making me think it would be stupid to spoil the car's interior design by having all the MMI functions stuck half way up the dashboard.
I notice vitually all the cars seems to have it but its £2k more to be spent.
Do you think you will get some or all of your money back for it comes resale time?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Get the SatNav. We have one with our Honda Accord and I gotta say, never thought it would be so usefull. In fact, with the option the controls will be on the gearbox, which in my opinion is better than on the dash.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What's the general feeling about the worthiness of the SatNav + option, as I wasn't going for it but this MMI thing is making me think it would be stupid to spoil the car's interior design by having all the MMI functions stuck half way up the dashboard.
I notice vitually all the cars seems to have it but its £2k more to be spent.
Do you think you will get some or all of your money back for it comes resale time?
I think so. It is become more and more common and will probably be as common as having a radio in the near future so not having it will be out of place.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrew,
The issue is that SatNav as an extra with Audi, BMW or anyone else new for £2k extra which we all know is a rip off when you can get a decent add on for £200. In this case the MMI is one of the most important features of the A5's design that I am amazed Audi are wiiling to compromise by putting it on the dashboard if you don't take the Sat Nav. option. But it makes more of a case for taking this option that I wounldn't have otherwise considered.
Do you think you will get your (2k) money back on it come resale time?
Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think that come resale time, S5's in particular will be hit if they don't have Sat Nav+. I'd imagine that 95%+ of all S5's will have it, and that it could be a costly mistake. Dealers will look for any excuse to mark a car down, and for a private sale the vast majority of people will want the Nav. With the MMI control issue, you can't even retro fit the Nav without major interior changes. I think £2k now, could save more than £2k in the future!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got it fitted to my car, and could easily do without it. I find it complex, unforgiving and distracting. No doubt I'll get used to it, but right now it simply gives me a headache.
If I were in your position I would go without it and buy a £200 TomTom. For the £1800 saving I would have someone fit it into the 'screen' area on the dash, so that it isn't stuck onto the windscreen (which IMHO looks naff), and also have them wire it directly back into the fuse box tucking the wires in behind the dash, so you don't have a horrible curly wire dangling down to the ***-lighter socket. I'd then book a two weeks away at the sea-side with the change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree most of the dealers cars have Sat Nav but these are typical Audi launch (very high spec.) cars and not one of the 26 are below 45k on the Audi site. On the other hand I think it is very poor marketing to show MMI as an A5 design feature and then to only offer it (in the portrayed console position) if you pay for the Sat Nav option at 2k extra.
As I only plan to do 5k per year and not many mystery trips I find Sat Nav a pure toy. Infact all the trips I have done so far with a Navman just prove that it always chooses a different/longer route than I would do.

Strange you two guys should have totally opposing views of it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
All I can add is that I know what i'd want if I was buying used. It'd be Sat Nav+ everytime and I wouldn't look at cars without it.

I may be in the minority now, but in the future this will be the norm. On any £50k+ car, factory fit Nav is essential. This is now becoming so for all premium sector cars. For me, the manufacturers should wake up to this and be including it in the base spec (increasing the list price to cover it of course so they still get their profit).

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the car I have now, I have a built in Sat Nav system - but I have ordered my new 3.0TDI WITHOUT Sat Nav. I have ordered more or less every other extra (£7.5k of extras) .
I think the difference between a £200 tom tom (or one of the many other makes available) AND £2K is a crazy amount to pay. Not only that, you can take the tom tom with you for your next car. Maybe my view is different to other people because I intend doing only about 7K miles per year, and keeping the car for about 5 years (all being well). I don't think the trade value will be anything like £2k lower when I trade it in just because I don't have Sat Nav.
One thing I cannot understand, is why the manufacturers are still getting away with charging such an exhorbitant amount of money for Sat Nav, when it is clear that the technology is so cheap? If a Tom Tom (which has all the same functions) can be produced, stocked and sold at 10% presumably with a profit, how is it we are still paying so much for factory fitted Sat Nav - Answer - we are being clearly ripped off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apparently on the A6 if you don't opt for SatNav you still get MMI on the centre console and that is why my dealer told me it was the same on the A5.
The Russian spec S5 showing it on the dashboard on this site could be spec. peculiar to that market.
Cant seem to find any A5/S5s in the flesh without SatNav to check the UK spec.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have decided to go for SatNav although I dont need it because:

1/. It is so much the norm. to have it on the S5 - even more so than A5.
2/.I have yet to find any S5 specced without it.
3/.I think I will get money back when resale comes along.
4/. Can't face having MMI on the dashboard I think its really stupid of Audi to put it there if you dont have SatNav.
5/. Putting a stick on Sat Nav on the windscreen of an S5 looks and is really cheap.

Had to decide today as dealer says order gone confirmed so have a Build Week now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
6 CD changer...

Just a reminder that the SatNav comes with the in-dash CD changer included in the price. For my last BMW, they wanted £2K for the SatNav, then another £300 for the 6 CD changer. I know that this doesn't justify the difference between the Audi and an after market Garmin/TomTom/etc., but does sweeten the deal a little. It's also cool that the 6 CD changer will play .MP3 and .WMA (I tried it on the demonstrator I had and it played all my 'Jukebox' discs of both formats).

When I sold my last 18 month old BMW, the Glasses guide trade-in price assumed that car had SatNav, and automatically took off £1K for the same model without it fitted. You won't get all your money back on SatNav, but it will cushion the blow, and there may be an expectation from buyers that it will have it (just as with leather, metallic, alloys, etc.).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, thanks, I see 6 CD changer I see in the photo, P28.
I dont know how you control the volume though as without the SatNav there is a volume control knob that disappears with it. Guess its all on the M/F steering wheel.
Dealer said A6 without SatNav was -2k in Glasses.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The SatNav Plus is excellent, and the 6x CD changer plays MP3/WMA discs too. I'm not sure you get the TMC and voice control with the basic NAv pack either.

Simon

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure you get the TMC and voice control with the basic NAv pack either.

Simon
What do you mean by basic Nav pack?
There is one option and that is for SatNavPlus then there is Voice Control that only applies to the SatNav inputs. You get Voice Control of the phone with GSM prep.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The SatNav Plus system uses MMI High which in turn can take voice inputs for all funtions: Radio, Media, Nav, Phone, Directory. I don't think you get the voice control part if you order the standard CD based Navigation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.