Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps.

First off, only just found these forums and looks like they are going very useful to me during my 1st time Audi ownership. I really must take sometime to have a look around, but enough of the welcome at present.

I`m wondering if anyone could help me with the following.

I placed an order for an A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sport with Tiptronic in Phantom black with some extras back on 16/10/08 and told them I wanted it for collection on 1st March 2009. UK model if this assists.

One of the options I chose was the Sat Nav and according to my spec sheet I have recently got from my dealer it says DVD Satellite Navigation System plus with radio/6 Cd autochanger + MMI.

Does anyone have more exact deatils regarding the MMi features that will be on my car. I have just found out from a quick browse that there is various different ones including SD slots and hard drives. I believe the latest one is classed as MMI3 but will my car have this.?

Can`t wait until Sunday to find out so hoping someone on here can assist.

Thanks in adavance.

W

· Registered
35 Posts
I think the latest generation MMI is hard drive based. I believe the DVD Satellite Navigation system is the last gen MMI which I have in my 2009 A5 S-line 3.2.

· Registered
35 Posts
Your best bet is to just call your sales guy and ask him if it has the MMI 3G. My previous car was an Acura and I loved that navigation system, the one I have in the Audi is adequate, but if I had the choice, I would see how long it would take to get one with the new MMI 3G.

· Registered
70 Posts
I took delivery of my car on the 2nd January and it has 3G MMI.

It is hard drive based and has 3D mapping on the Sat Nav. It has two SD card slots in the dash together with a 6CD changer in the glovebox.

I additionally specified the AMI which is a really cool way of interfacing all kinds of music sources on portable hard drives, iPod, USB stick etc.

You don't say if you spec'd phone prep low, and that gives me voice control which is a great way to control the MMI system.

The hard drive will store 10Gb of music and the handbook as well!

There are a few forum members who don't like the system, but I think it is first class - fast, clear and easy to use.

And, phantom black looks awesome.........

· Registered
132 Posts
AMI / Voice Control

StuA

You say that "gives me voice control which is a great way to control the MMI system."

I have read the manual and experimented with mine but I can't even get it ti dial a phone number correctly as it never understands my voice well enough and I don't seem to have any options beyond phone when I try and use it. Any help appreciated !
Cheers
Ian

· Registered
70 Posts
I'm Scottish, and it seems to understand my accent!

I taught it, which helped a good deal to understand my voice, but it does not understand Melanie so well now!

I just press the button, wait for the beep, and then try to speak clearly. It is correct at least nine times out of ten, and the tenth is usually because I didn't say it right.

It struggles the most with the difference between "radio" and "media" but I usually just press the buttons for that!

With a little practice it now seems quite natural. I think it is worth persevering as it i much safer to enter navigation destinations or dial phone numbers.

Good luck..........

· Registered
132 Posts
talk nicely

I'm Scottish, and it seems to understand my accent!

I taught it, which helped a good deal to understand my voice, but it does not understand Melanie so well now!

I just press the button, wait for the beep, and then try to speak clearly. It is correct at least nine times out of ten, and the tenth is usually because I didn't say it right.

It struggles the most with the difference between "radio" and "media" but I usually just press the buttons for that!

With a little practice it now seems quite natural. I think it is worth persevering as it i much safer to enter navigation destinations or dial phone numbers.

Good luck..........
I will practice some more.

Maybe the problem is an english delivered car living in Scotland - lol.

I agree if I could get it to work NAV and media it would be far safer. As it is the kerb comes up rather quickly if I allow myself to get distracted.

Thanks

Ian

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I picked up the car yesterday and pleased to say it is indeed 3G MMI system thats in it. Well pleased with that. Tunes already loaded onto Jukebox on HDD with ease. Love it so far.

Not got any telephone prep installed at any level. Couldn`t justfy it and other reasons.

It still has the voice system but I need to do a bit more research and practice i think to find out what commands is active in my car etc. I can easily get it to recognise my Scottish accent with the likes of Radio, Media, Navigation, Start/Stop route guidance etc.

I completed the speech training program built into it where you repeat 40 different commands. There was commands like next track/previous track etc which i assumed would work when listening to songs on HDD, but for life of me I can`t seem to get these commands to operate. Sometimes i get a message saying something like "this command has not been listed yet" or like that anyway. Any tips/ideas/info on the above, much appreciated.

Apart from the MMI I`m over the moon with my new pride and joy and all my birthdays have come at once.

:thumbsup:

· Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I picked up the car yesterday and pleased to say it is indeed 3G MMI system thats in it. Well pleased with that. Tunes already loaded onto Jukebox on HDD with ease. Love it so far.

Not got any telephone prep installed at any level. Couldn`t justfy it and other reasons.

It still has the voice system but I need to do a bit more research and practice i think to find out what commands is active in my car etc. I can easily get it to recognise my Scottish accent with the likes of Radio, Media, Navigation, Start/Stop route guidance etc.

I completed the speech training program built into it where you repeat 40 different commands. There was commands like next track/previous track etc which i assumed would work when listening to songs on HDD, but for life of me I can`t seem to get these commands to operate. Sometimes i get a message saying something like "this command has not been listed yet" or like that anyway. Any tips/ideas/info on the above, much appreciated.

Apart from the MMI I`m over the moon with my new pride and joy and all my birthdays have come at once.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

· Registered
70 Posts

I found the easiest way was to press the button on the MFSW and say "help". She will tell you the commands recognised in that menu.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.