Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone answer, as I can not find in the owners manual.

Under MMI, Exterior Lighting, Auto Running Lights.

What changes exist with: early
med
late

·
Registered
160 Posts
it basically controls the sensitivity of the lights coming on automatically....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, you definitely want this set to "late" :p

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Why is that? Just to keep the LED DRLs at their highest intensity for as long as possible?
If you keep your headlight switch in the "Auto" position, then the headlights will turn on automatically much later. So, if you like the idea of driving around with just the DRLs for as long as possible (and also utilizing the "Auto" headlight function), then that is why you'd want the setting to be "Late".

·
Registered
298 Posts
late med early for DRL's - much difference?

Anyone notice much of a difference between the settings..........late does not seem to be as late as I would like!!!! Anyone know where the sensor is that triggers the timing of the DRL's is? Is this the little blip uner the bonnet on the actual headlight units and is therefore part of the headlamp itself?.................is this a VAGCOM mod I could get done?
Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
159 Posts
Auto Lights trigger too early?

For the past couple of days I'm sure my auto lights have got a mind of there own.

Yesterday afternoon it was raining and quite dark and the headlights came on (only way to know this is when the background of the satnav map turns dark?), but then went to dimmed LEDs, yet the ambient light had not changed. Maybe it was around the threshold, but I changed the MMI setting from medium to early but sill dimmed LED's remained.

(changed MMI back to medium)

This evening its very sunny and my headlights turned on! Where is the light sensor?

Simon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting observation last night:
My wife has an '09 A4 avant S-line, and as I was following her home yesterday in my S5 at dusk, our headlights had the exact same reactions and timing.
As we went through an underpass, I noticed her lights came on. Mine came on the exact same place her's did a moment later. Through the underpass, our lights turned back off to the DRL LED's at the exact same spot through an intersection. As it continued to get progressively darker, both of our lights came on again at the same time.
I thought of this thread immediately because of one important thing:
Although both cars are set on the AUTO setting, her's is set at 'medium' and mine is set at 'late' in the exterior lighting section of MMI.

So, in conclusion, I don't really know what that setting in MMI is responsible for! :confused:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The light sensor is usually fitted to the instrument cluster. I think its the same for the fives's as well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
(UK) Brochure states that if you have the Auto-Dim Mirror this includes the light and rain sensor so I assumed it was behind the top of the windscreen. What is not clear is where the sensors are if you do not have the Auto-Dim Mirror (with auto lights/wipers standard in the UK whereas Auto-Dim is not! I guess it is also possible the MMI settings only apply if you have the Auto-Dim???

·
Registered
871 Posts
The light sensors are on top of the dashboard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts