Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to enable the Battery Level in the MMI and have followed the instructions that start with:

1. Turn on MMI. Push CAR and SETUP together for about 5 secs.
2. You see green menu (picture 1 from left)
etc.

I am unable to get the Green screens to appear. The Diagnostic menu does not appear to be possible on my car?

Using VAGCOM, The ControlHead (07), Adaptation Channel 08, value has been changed from 0 to 1 as the instructions suggested but still no joy.

The Car Setup menu does already show Oil Level anyway (from factory), but now trying to add the Battery Level.

Have tried to reset the MMI by pressing Setup + Control knob + upper right soft key around knob for 5 sec and the MMI has reset itself. However, still unable to get the Diagnostic menu using the key combinations.

Any suggestions or am I pressing the wrong two buttons? Has anyone with a recent age car been able to activate the Diagnostic menu?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
It can take several presses of the 2 buttons to get the menu to appear. When you press and hold the buttons, the menu will only appear if the Car (I think) light is out and only the Setup light is on.

It takes a bit of practice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Trying to enable the Battery Level in the MMI and have followed the instructions that start with:

etc.

I am unable to get the Green screens to appear. The Diagnostic menu does not appear to be possible on my car?

Using VAGCOM, The ControlHead (07), Adaptation Channel 08, value has been changed from 0 to 1 as the instructions suggested but still no joy.

The Car Setup menu does already show Oil Level anyway (from factory), but now trying to add the Battery Level.

Have tried to reset the MMI by pressing Setup + Control knob + upper right soft key around knob for 5 sec and the MMI has reset itself. However, still unable to get the Diagnostic menu using the key combinations.

Any suggestions or am I pressing the wrong two buttons? Has anyone with a recent age car been able to activate the Diagnostic menu?
Try pressing CAR button first down, then SETUP down - or vice-versa, online reports suggest it needs fiddling a bit to get it right. And keep holding them down for a while.

I know people who have activated the menu in A5 2009 model-year (Euro-spec) so yeah, it is there.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

etc.
This question may be silly (and you VAG COM settings suggest unnecessary too), but just for completeness-sake - the diagnostics menu probably needs to full MMI (i.e. navigation), not a radio Concert/Symphony. But as I said, your car probably has this since you are asking and checked the VAG COM too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, managed to get it to work. For the benefit of others, full instructions shown below:

1) Switch on ignition but not engine. Standard key, turn to "Acc" position. Advanced key, press "Start" button but do not press Clutch.

2) Switch on MMI unit.

3) Select Radio (or anything but not Car menu).

4) Press and hold down the SETUP button, the Radio Setup screen should appear as normal, do not release button yet.

5) Whilst keeping the Setup button pressed, now press and hold down CAR button for about 5 seconds.

6) When the Orange coloured Radio setup screen changes to a Green coloured Diagnostic menu, release all buttons.

7) Scroll down to DIAG SETTING and press MMI knob to select.

8) Scroll down to "Car Menus Maske" option and press MMI knob to select.

9) Scroll down to BATTERY LEVEL and push MMI knob to Enable checkbox.

10) Can also scroll down to OIL STAND and push MMI knob to Enable checkbox if available, may be dimmed on vehicles without sensor.

11) Scroll down to ACCEPT CHANGES and push MMI knob to save the changes if you are sure you want to make the changes.

12) Press RETURN to exit Car Menus Maske menu.

13) Press RETURN to exit DIAG SETTING menu.

14) Press RETURN to exit Diagnostic menu.

15) You should now be back at the Orange coloured Radio Setup menu.

16) Switch off MMI and switch off Ignition.

If you cannot access the diagnostic menu at all, it is possible that you need to enable the Diagnostic Menu using VAGCOM / VCDS to access the ControlHead (07) module, Adaptation Channel 08, value needs to be changed from 0 to 1.

·
Registered
230 Posts
whats the battery thing for and whats the diagnostic menu for, im gettin my car in a couple days

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the battery thing for and whats the diagnostic menu for, im gettin my car in a couple days
In the CAR menu on the MMI, you will see menu items which control parts of the car itself such as behaviour of the LED lights, etc, and other user-customisable settings. The list is dependent on which options are fitted to the car.

However, newer versions of the A5 also have electronic "dipsticks" which you cannot remove to check the oil. The CAR menu lets you see the Oil Level as a bar graph from Min to Max so you can tell if some Oil needs to be added. In some cars, this option is not always enabled so you can enable it yourself if you wish.

Similarly, there is no visible battery to check the voltage although there are some + and - points in the engine bay to connect a jump lead if necessary. Thus, you may wish to check the Battery charge so see if your battery is draining low. It is a bit academic because if the battery is really so low that you need to change it, you probably cannot activate the MMI to see it anyway! But, it is a useful measure of battery health durings the life of the battery.

You may need VAGCOM to enable the diagnostic menu, but depending on your location, you may be able to track down somebody in your area with VAGCOM.

You will probably need a VAGCOM of your own or a local friendly VAGCOM owner for lots of little things, the LED behaviour modification to prevent them "winking" when your turn indicators are "on" is almost universally performed by forum members who have LED Daytime Running Lights.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks deepmeister... and sfive, where did it say that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Lads,

Does anyone know if you can do this on the A4? I've tried deepmeister's instructions but I can't get it to work? maybe it's because I have "MMI - Low"?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What is MMI - Low. The A5 doesnt have an MMI low option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is MMI - Low. The A5 doesnt have an MMI low option.
"MMI - Low" probably isn't a good description...I don't think it's MMI at all. On the A4 if you don't have the sat nav option but have the concert stereo you get (i suppose) a pseudo MMI look and feel ie colour screen, control knob, buttons and the ability to modify some of the cars settings...hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes. There is something similar with the A5. The non nav models get a smaller MMI screen with slightly fewer options. IIRC, its the same way to access the menu though as I am sure that at least one of the cars at the last meet didnt have nav and had that menu enabled. However, you need VAG-com to enable the hidden menu first before you press the buttons to show it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you cannot access the diagnostic menu at all, it is possible that you need to enable the Diagnostic Menu using VAGCOM / VCDS to access the ControlHead (07) module, Adaptation Channel 08, value needs to be changed from 0 to 1.
Sorry for the thread necromancy here.

I tried your suggestion on my UK BY09 S5 and it doesn't work. :(

I guess i'll do as above and get VAGCOM to sort it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After I enabled the diagnostic menu and checked the battery level box, where can I find the battery level that I unlocked???

I did vagcom for Convienence windows, seatbelt chime and hidden menu. Any other good ones that are useful...?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Doesn't work in MMI 3G... and try pressing SETUP+RETURN ya'll. Then you'll access the Engineer menu.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts