Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I live in Belgium and I have got to the 3rd year with my Audi A5 sportback and my data license for the MMI services has came to the end. Now the Audi dealer asked me 350€ to extend it for 24 months (basically till the end of the leasing contract). I am really not willing to pay that crazy money.

Nevertheless since yesterday the whole system is almost unusable. Even typing a simple street address the system has troubles in find it. Of course one of the function I found very useful, sending addresses straight to the MMI navigation system from my gsm is also disabled. "Find my car" also not working and I can go on and on.

Is there a workaround? Like...if I buy a sim with data on it, will it enable some functions? I know that some services (I.e. fuels cost, meteo, train time table...) are blocked no matter data.

If anyone can advice I would really appreciate.

thanks
Stefano

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Unfortunately it’s not the data that is stopping the service. It is the licence for the services, and I don’t know if any workaround. Audi must re-enable this for you. Putting a new SIM in will not renew the licenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately it’s not the data that is stopping the service. It is the licence for the services, and I don’t know if any workaround. Audi must re-enable this for you. Putting a new SIM in will not renew the licenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Danj,
unfortunately you are right. Nevertheless I plugged a sim card with data connection and basically I had no effect. I was hoping to have at least some basic function back...nothing. Even traffic online does not work anymore.
Even entering an address is now a challenge, basically it became less smart. I.e. Before I never needed to complete the address name it was suggesting after few characters the correct address. Now even after I enter the full address sometimes I have to specify the postcode otherwise I have to browse throw all the exotic places he proposed.

Well backup solution I am using waze mirrored on the middle screen. Now way I will pay 350€ for this bloody licence

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not sure about the licencing, but how did you set-up the mirroring as this does not always work, depending on VIM (video in motion) being enabled and what hardware you have- meaning which version of MMI are you using (3G+?)and which type of mobile phone?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the licencing, but how did you set-up the mirroring as this does not always work, depending on VIM (video in motion) being enabled and what hardware you have- meaning which version of MMI are you using (3G+?)and which type of mobile phone?
Basically I have downloaded an android application called "android auto" (there is also the mac version). when I connect the gsm via usb cable the application pairing with the MMI system and you can launch the Audi smartphone interface from the MMI menu. This allow you to mirror some application (spotify, google nav, waze...) from your gsm straight on your audi center monitor.
Sorry not sure what is my MMI version but I can tell I own an A5 sportback 2017.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Avoid the audi dealer. Call customer services they may be able to offer a more reasonable price.
Hi Jhon, are you telling me that you called the customer service and they renewed your licence by telephone giving a better price compared to the dialer??

My experience is I called the customer services and they told me they cannot do anything (the do not have the software) so they sent me back to the dealer :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don’t have this feature but I have read about others with the same issue. It really does seem to be down to luck, if you manage to speak to the right person who is willing to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts