Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing the pages thin on my new catalog and have noticed something that I am sure can be addressed by many in the forum. The location of the MMI dial and buttons are in two different places in some of the pictures. Some show it behind the gearshift and others show it just below the CD input and center vents. Can someone give me more details about this? Is it a US/Euro difference...A5/S5...optional placement through dealer? What is the general opinion/experience with the two locations? My preference at this point is behind the gearshift, but I have never operated such a system. My gut says behind the shifter will be a more natural position, since I have driven nothing but manual for 20+ years. Please let me know what you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you have the full MMI (satnav) option the control is behind the gearstick. If you don't opt for satnav its on the dash.

Hope this helps:D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Cars with the Sat Nav option have it behind the gear lever.
Personally I thing the on dash option is safer as you only have to look slightly to the side to see what you are doing rather than down at the gear lever area

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh, and welcome by the way!! :)

That brochure will be worn out by the time the car arrives! I was driving my wife mad by constantly reading it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers to both of you for the replies. I have been torn by OEM nav systems vs. TomTom, Garmin, etc. For what most charge for nav systems, you would think that you are paying to launch your own GPS satellite. But most aftermarket tech is too bulky, especially in a car like this. I tried to get my wife to "participate" by getting her opinions on color combos. It might have worked...we'll see. Thanks again.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My personal opinion (and I know the sentiment is echoed by a few on here) is that the MMI controls are in a better position when they are near the gearstick. It makes them easier to use as your arm falls naturally to the side, rather than having to reach forwards around the gearstick to get to the controls.

If that makes any sense whatsoever?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cars with the Sat Nav option have it behind the gear lever.
Personally I thing the on dash option is safer as you only have to look slightly to the side to see what you are doing rather than down at the gear lever area
It's all personal, I am sure, but I find I can do pretty much anything with the MMI (behind the gearstick) by feel. Very rarely find myself having to actually look down there. But I've had the car a year now, so plenty of time to build up the mental picture of which button is where etc.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's all about what your used to. When I use the missus' car it takes a little while to adjust to the controls behind the gearstick, but after a while it becomes second nature and I don't mind it at all. Likewise, when returning to my own car I need to re-adjust again. I need to re-adjust to the lack of power as well, thats always a bit of a come down :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts