Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the MMI controls located in A5? I seen it right above the temperature controls and right on the center console right below the shift stick in pictures? Does it depend on if you have the sat/nav package or where the car was sold? I'm little confused here...any one from USA want to clear it up?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The A5 MMI control is where the temperature controls like you mentioned, the S5 MMI control is on the center console.... that is what I was told by the dealer (its right, I have been in both models). Don't know why Audi decided to do that but I prefer the MMI control on the center console like the S5.

Did you order one?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
No, you had it right, Merfolk. it's not a matter of whether you have an A5 or S5. It's all about whether you have the nav package. With nav, controls are down on the console.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmm... I don't know about that House. I was in a S5 with the navigation and the controls were on the bottom center console and last week I was in an A5 with the navigation and the controls were where the temperature controls were. Also, the dealer verified that as well.

I saw the S5 in New Jersey and I saw the A5 at Don Rosen Imports in Conshohocken

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Then it's not nav that makes the difference...? Seems like it should be though. As I mentioned in our other thread, I was in an A5 yesterday as well. Controls on the console as I expected.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea either, if you look closely in the brochure the pictures differ as well. The only difference I remember about the the 2 models was that the S5 had the technology package and the A5 didn't... maybe thats the reason?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
LOL, thanks ... actually I'm in the process of tracking down some other relevant threads to bring some closure to this. Give me a few. :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The A5 MMI control is where the temperature controls like you mentioned, the S5 MMI control is on the center console.... that is what I was told by the dealer (its right, I have been in both models).
The placement of the MMI controls is definitely not dependent upon whether it is an A5 vs. S5. As you'll see in the following pics of a U.S. spec A5 and an A5 S-line, the controls are located on the center console in both instances.

Pic 1 (U.S. spec A5)

Pic 2 (U.S. spec S-line)

As for what your dealer told you, it may not be accurate information. We've read about several instances in this forum where members were told certain information by their dealer, but then later discovered here that the information was inaccurate.

FWIW, here's another recent discussion about the topic in this thread.

·
Registered
69 Posts
TX is right, the more I think about it, the A5 that I test drove in didn't have the navigation, it had the display which I assumed had the navigation. But who doesn't have navigation these days? haha. Thanks everyone and sorry for the confusion! I happy to hear that I was wrong because I really wanted the MMI controls to be on the center console!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mmi

I not sure if everybody knows about the electronic A5/S5 brochure on audiusa.com. The brochure is a little confusing about the MMI location. It shows it on the dash console w/the 6.5 monitor which is w/o navigation. Than to the bottom right after talking about the blue tooth and navigation it pictures the MMI around the center console. Also talks about in on the S-Line as an option, which assume is refering to the navigation system. The link for the borchure is: audiusa.com/etc/.../aoa/product_my08/a5my08/pdfs.Par.0002.File.pdfI

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The link for the borchure is: audiusa.com/etc/.../aoa/product_my08/a5my08/pdfs.Par.0002.File.pdfI
The link you provided is invalid.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
This has been batted around various threads already, but to clarify, the position of the MMI control is determined by one thing only - whether you have SatNav+ or not.

Don't forget that some may think that seeing the MMI screen means you have the Nav, but ALL A5 and S5 cars come with MMI, but Nav is only an option wherever you are based. If you have the MMI control on the dash, just above the heater controls, then the one thing you definitely won't have is a button labelled "Nav".

The only slight point of confusion for me was whether you would get the centre console MMI control (ie behind the gear shift) if you specced advanced key but not SatNav. You get the start button with advanced key, so I'm not sure. I suspect not though - you'd just get the start button behind the electronic brake switch, and a blank piece of plastic trim behind the gear shift along with the ESP Off switch and Parkng Sensor switch. With Nav, these two switches move to the dash, just below the slot for the in-dash 6 CD changer that comes with the Nav system.

If you just order the Symphony 6 CD system and not Nav, then the MMI controls remains on the dash, just above the heater controls. You also get an SD slot, which is missing from cars with Nav (suggest you order AMI, even if you don't use an iPod - it works with other systems too!)

Hope this helps.

The UK sales brochure has good pictures on pages 23 and 29 of the two different sets of controls, but I'm not sure how the US version compares. Unfortunately the pictures on the UK Audi website's online version of the same brochure are very low quality, so not worth giving a link.

·
Registered
25 Posts
MMI location

Here in the states the location of the MMI is determined by whether you have NAV or not. A5 or S5 does'nt matter. Here's a pic of my wonderful A5 (1 week old) with NAV, but no Tech package. I have an empty space where the start button would be.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts