Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please post your MMI and AIS (aka "MMI light") menus against this thread.

I have used the following notation:
(chkbox) = a checkbox which is selected/deselected by pushing the MMI knob
(dial) = brings up a graduated dial controlled by twisting MMI knob
(graphic) = brings up a graphical representation e.g. oil level bar
(info) = displays a set of data that cannot be edited e.g. version info
(list) = a drop down list of options, scrolled by twisting MMI knob
(on|off) = same as list but with just the 2 options

P.S. Apologies for the duplication but the last post incorrectly stated AMI instead of AIS. Admins - that thread can be deleted.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
AIS Menu From 1.8T
This is the list of menu options I can access in the Audi Information System in my A5. Note that these are all software menu items that appear on the AIS display unit. Some of these duplicate functions also implemented in hardware e.g. navigating music tracks or changing the AC temp can be done with both dedicated buttons and via MMI.

Spec is as per my signature so no Sat Nav but I do have B&O fitted.

CAR
- AUDI PARKING SYSTEM
-- DISPLAY (list)
-- FRONT VOLUME (dial)
-- FRONT FREQUENCY (dial)
-- REAR VOLUME (dial)
-- REAR FREQUENCY (dial)
- CENTRAL LOCKING
-- UNLOCKING SINGLE DOOR (on|off)
-- BOOT LID/TAILGATE (on|off)
-- AUTO LOCKING (on|off)
- EXTERIOR LIGHTING
-- COMING HOME (dial)
-- LEAVING HOME (on|off)
-- AUTO HEADLIGHTS (list)
-- DAYTIME RUN. LIGHTS (on|off)
-- HEADLAMP CONVERTER (on|off)
- INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
-- SUGGEST GEAR CHANGE (on|off)
-- SPEED WARNING (on|off)
-- SPEED WARNING (dial)
-- ON-BOARD COMPUTER 1
--- various metrics for DIS
-- ON-BOARD COMPUTER 2
--- various metrics for DIS
- OIL LEVEL (graphic)
- SEAT ADJUSTMENT
-- PASSENGER'S SEAT
--- CONVENIENCE SIDE VIEW
--- SEAT SYMMETRY
- SERVICE INTERVAL DISPLAY (info)
- VEHICLE ID NUMBER (info)
- WINDOWS
-- CONVENIENCE OPEN
--- FRONT WINDOWS (on|off)
- WINDSCREEN WIPERS
-- SERVICE POSITION (on|off)

CONTROL
- REWIND
- BACK
- SCAN
- INFO
- MIX
- NEXT
- FFWD

DISPLAY
- MENU LANGUAGE
-- lists supported lanuguages
- MEASUREMENT UNITS
-- DISTANCE (list)
-- SPEED (list)
-- TEMPERATURE (list)
-- PRESSURE (list)
- DEFAULT SETTINGS >
- VERSION INFORMATION (info)

DRIVES
- SD
- CD

AC (activated by AC controls)
- DRIVER TEMP
- PASSENGER TEMP
- BLOWER
- DISTRIBUTION

SETUP
- AC
-- AUTO RECIRCULATION (on|off)
-- SYNCHRONISATION (on|off)
- CAR
-- no further options
- CD
-- REPEAT (on|off)
- DISPLAY
-- SWITCH OFF DISPLAY
-- BRIGHTNESS (dial)
- INFO
-- TRAFFIC PROGRAM (on|off)
-- TP MEMO TIMER (on|off)
-- TIMER 1
-- TIMER 2
- MP3
-- REPEAT (on|off)
-- INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS (chkbox)
-- TRACK INFO (on|off)
-- TRACK DISPLAY (list)
- RADIO
-- TRAFFIC PROG. (on|off)
-- STATION NAMES (list)
-- STATION SORTING (list)
-- ALT. FREQUENCY (on|off)
-- SWITCH REGIONAL STATIONS (chkbox)
-- DELETE STORED STATIONS >
- SOUND
-- TREBLE (dial)
-- MID (dial)
-- BASS (dial)
-- BALANCE (dial)
-- FADER (dial)
-- DSP PREMIUM
--- SURROUND (on|off)
--- GALA (list)
-- VOLUME SETTINGS
--- TRAFFIC PROGRAMME (dial)
--- IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT FADER (dial)
- TIME/DATE
-- TIME
-- DATE
-- TIME FORMAT (list)
-- DATE FORMAT (list)

·
Registered
162 Posts
AIS Menu From 1.8T
This is the list of menu options I can access in the Audi Information System in my A5. Note that these are all software menu items that appear on the AIS display unit. Some of these duplicate functions also implemented in hardware e.g. navigating music tracks or changing the AC temp can be done with both dedicated buttons and via MMI.

Spec is as per my signature so no Sat Nav but I do have B&O fitted.
Here are the deltas from my A5:

- Audi drive select individual
--Engine / gearbox (dial)
--Steering (dial)
--Suspension (dial)

- Audi Side assist
--Brightness (dial)

- Sound
--Balance (dial)
--Fader (dial)
--Treble (dial)
--Bass (dial)
--DSP Bang & Olufsen
---sound focus (list)
---GALA (on/off)
---surround level (dial)

I'm pretty surprised mine didn't come with:

- Subwoofer - with dial
- GALA - with dial

Both these were on the car I demo'd back in February..
I'm peeved about the subwoofer in mine. I barely know it's there!
It seems my from bass speakers from my doors take care of most of the low end.

Would love to hear if others have the same experience!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It seems my from bass speakers from my doors take care of most of the low end.

Would love to hear if others have the same experience!
Yeah, sometimes it seems that way to me too. The bass from the subwoofer on the B&O is a little disappointing. :( Several others have reported their disappointment in the amount of bass as well. (Do a search on 'subwoofer', and you'll see what I mean.)

BTW, my MMI adjustments for "Sound" look just like yours.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, sometimes it seems that way to me too. The bass from the subwoofer on the B&O is a little disappointing. :( Several others have reported their disappointment in the amount of bass as well. (Do a search on 'subwoofer', and you'll see what I mean.)

BTW, my MMI adjustments for "Sound" look just like yours.

Hi TX,

What I don't understand is why the Audi sound system has the subwoofer dial sub-menu and the B&O/Navi doesn't!? This is a major flaw in the B&O/Navi setup if you ask me..

The first thing I did to the A5 I rented back in February was tune the sound of the bass with this sub-menu.
TBH I would have skipped this option had I known what I do now. :mad:

My only hope is for a hack (VAG-COM or otherwise) which enables this 'feature'

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the list I noticed "SEAT SYMMETRY" and “CONVENIENCE SIDE VIEW”. What do those functions do?

·
Registered
171 Posts
In the list I noticed "SEAT SYMMETRY" and “CONVENIENCE SIDE VIEW”. What do those functions do?
The Seat Symmetry will bring the Passenger seat to the exact same position as the driver seat; making them symmetrical.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Seat Symmetry will bring the Passenger seat to the exact same position as the driver seat; making them symmetrical.
Thanks. Do you happen to know what “CONVENIENCE SIDE VIEW” does?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey MCOS5,

“CONVENIENCE SIDE VIEW” will make the passenger seat go all-the-way back as far as it will go to clear your side view (e.g. make it easier to see out the side by moving the seat back as far as it goes). Contrast this with "Seat Symmetry" which only makes the passenger seat have the same position settings as the driver.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What happens if you turn on "Suggest Gear Change," does it beep when you redline, is there some light that flashes when you redline, or something else? And is this only in tip cars, only in manuals or both?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What happens if you turn on "Suggest Gear Change," does it beep when you redline, is there some light that flashes when you redline, or something else? And is this only in tip cars, only in manuals or both?

Thanks
Only for manual cars. It shows a suggested gear after the current gear indicator in the driver information system screen when it thinks you could drive more economically (the small screen in the instrument cluster).

I don't think it has anything to do with redline.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Its for fuel economy?... That's pretty gay, I thought it was supposed to mimic something cool, like the shift lights in some high end performace cars or F1 cars, which are used to tell you when to shift for maximum performace. I mean the car is a performace GT car with a gas guzzling 350+ HP V8 in it, so who the hell at Audi thought that shift lights that maxamize fuel economy was something which S5 owners want and not ones to maximize performance? Did they just gather a bunch of soccer moms at a MADD meeting to be in a focus group for the S5? I mean, come on Audi, can't you at least try to comepete with the M3 or C63?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Its for fuel economy?... That's pretty gay, I thought it was supposed to mimic something cool, like the shift lights in some high end performace cars or F1 cars, which are used to tell you when to shift for maximum performace. I mean the car is a performace GT car with a gas guzzling 350+ HP V8 in it, so who the hell at Audi thought that shift lights that maxamize fuel economy was something which S5 owners want and not ones to maximize performance? Did they just gather a bunch of soccer moms at a MADD meeting to be in a focus group for the S5? I mean, come on Audi, can't you at least try to comepete with the M3 or C63?
It also recommends down shift too (e.g. when one is in too low of a gear for the revs). BTW...You don't have to use it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't have to use over 80% of the features in the car, but without them, I wouldn't buy one. Plus, I don't want my car to say that I am worried about fuel consumption in any way, lol. I wonder if there is a way to disable the option from showing up on the MMI, in case anyone sees it and asks what it does :p

·
Registered
750 Posts
There is a way to enable/disable most options via VCDS (the new name for VAG-COM), but this one hasn't been identified yet. I believe it is disabled by default (at least it wasn't enabled on my car when I got it -- in MMI that is) so, it shouldn't show on your display unless you enable it...although...if you feel brave, you could try to disable it via VCDS :D...but you'd be braver that I am, b/c if you break the ECU with VCDS...you have to get it reflashed at the dealer. ;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Its for fuel economy?
That is a feature coming into all Audi models now, so nothing S5 specific about it. I'm sure there are tax/pricing benefits for Audi in some markets by including this feature.

While I think it might be nice to have a performance-based gear change suggestion, I see nothing wrong with also having an economy-based option for those occasions when you feel like driving responsibly.

But yeah, I believe the gear change suggestion is for fuel economy and thus lowering the CO2 emissions the car makes.

One might be able to hide the option entirely from the hidden menu (one can apparently configure the MMI CAR menu from there), see my VAG COM codes article for more on the hidden menu:

www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a5vagcodes.html

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
wonder if there is a way to disable the option from showing up on the MMI
It doesnt appear in the MMI menus. Its in the DIS menus so no-one would be any wiser what is there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey MCOS5,

“CONVENIENCE SIDE VIEW” will make the passenger seat go all-the-way back as far as it will go to clear your side view (e.g. make it easier to see out the side by moving the seat back as far as it goes). Contrast this with "Seat Symmetry" which only makes the passenger seat have the same position settings as the driver.
Thanks CCOMPTON! I've only had to move the passenger seat back a few times in my truck but it's cool to see that Audi made it much simpler now.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It doesnt appear in the MMI menus. Its in the DIS menus so no-one would be any wiser what is there.
I remember it (the gear suggestion on/off selection) being in the CAR menu under Instrument cluster in the MMI/radio? What DIS menu would there be for this option, I don't think there is one?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I remember it (the gear suggestion on/off selection) being in the CAR menu under Instrument cluster in the MMI/radio? What DIS menu would there be for this option, I don't think there is one?
You know what, you are right. I was having a blonde moment.

Still, I dont see why anyone would want the option deleted from the MMI as it does what it says.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts