Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
221 - 240 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@Stewart M : You are in the correct thread. Update your system software to current first as described in the first post. For the nav system, you should be able to use the 6.34.1 update here: MMI 3G+/3GP navigation 6.34.1 and firmware updates -... , taking care to prepare your SD card for the 3G High update (unless you use a high quality FAT32 64GB SD card with the complete 3G High/Plus update files). --g

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Stewart M : You are in the correct thread. Update your system software to current first as described in the first post. For the nav system, you should be able to use the 6.34.1 update here: MMI 3G+/3GP navigation 6.34.1 and firmware updates -... , taking care to prepare your SD card for the 3G High update (unless you use a high quality FAT32 64GB SD card with the complete 3G High/Plus update files). --g
Great. Thanks. I always use high quality cards, and am usually pretty decent with this sort of stuff. So I will be VERY careful with setting everything up properly, ha ha.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Now hunting to see if there is a magnet link instead of Mega for the things I need, ha ha

·
Registered
13 Posts
You seem like a knowledgeable and helpful chap, so I will ask you for the help I need.

So I updated my MMI firmware as recommended, one step at a time, until I reached the final 0257_6 (HNav_EU_K0257_6_D1). No problems here, I think.

I then installed the 6.34.1 2022 MMI 3G High/Plus Europe map, as found here: MMI 3G+/3GP navigation 6.34.1 and firmware updates -..., as per your suggestion yesterday. Now reading Nav. Database Version: 8R0060884JN ECE 6.34.1. I did remove the previous map data, and delete the partition, as suggested in the latest iteration of the guide on that page.

I then ran the activator that was included in the download from that map file. So I kind of have to assume that was the correct one.

When I ran the script, it all looked good, had the press any key to execute the script notice. Pushed the big button, and the screen changed to the radio screen, but with the map "underneath" it. Then after a few minutes, it suggested the map data was blocked.

I rebooted the MMI, went into Nav, opened up the map, all looked good actually. Went to hunt for a new local road, which was there, so looked like it was working again. Then got the message again saying it was blocked.

So went to re-install the activator script, but this time, when clicking to install, it said the activator was already installed.

Went back to Nav, and it states that data is still blocked.

Should I run Vlasoff maps activation? Or is there another activator to use? Should I uninstall the activator that is currently in use? Or will this fix itself after a few reboots?

EDIT:

Further reading has suggested I may have used the incorrect activator. So should I use this one (3GH Activator): 4.35 MB folder on MEGA

If so, what is the process? Can I just run it over the top of the already installed one? Or do I need to remove the old one first? If so, how do I do that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK. So I'll update with where I am so far.

After everything that I did, when I went into Media > Source there was only the DVD player. No Jukebox, SD card, CD changer or anything. Which I thought was weird.

I managed to find an Activator Uninstaller, and managed to run that, after attempting to run a script that modified the incorrect activator that seemed to work for some people, but not for me.

But then I couldn't get the "proper" 3GH Activator to work. I have tried several times, but whenever I insert the SD card, nothing happens. Regardless of how long I leave it, or how many times I re-install it.

So I entered the green menu, and forced an emergency update with the same latest firmware version as before. This brought back all my options for Jukebox etc... But when I went to check version numbers, the firmware version is spot on, but the Nav database version was blank. Do I need to reinstall the Nav maps now? Another attempt at the 3GH Activator proved fruitless also. Perhaps because there is no maps to patch? But it does nothing, not even an attempt to start.

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@Stewart M : Some remarks on your MMI 3G High update experience:

Guidance to delete the nav HDD partition routinely is not helpful generally. The Red Engineering Menu (REM) software updater always removes a database file before installing from the SD media, and a same-region nav update will never introduce new (or remove old) database files. One reason to delete the nav HDD partition is when changing regions (NAR to EU or vice versa, e.g.). Another might be if the nav database is known to be corrupted. Otherwise, it only adds time and a failure point to the process (IMHO).

The 3GH and 3GP activator scripts are (1) not nav database version specific and (2) only patch parts of the MMI operating system that are stored on internal flash memory. They don't "activate" (in terms of licensing) so much as they patch the O/S so it doesn't block the new database files. The two "activator" scripts do essentially the same thing (write a new /sbin/mme-becker.sh script and patch /etc/mmelauncher.cfg to use the new mme-becker.sh script), but the details are different. The 3GP mme-becker.sh script adds steps that aren't needed on 3GH systems, and the 3GP "activator" removes the existing FSC files from /mnt/efs-persist/FSC/ and adds a new (generic) FSC file to that directory (steps not needed on 3GH systems).

MMI SD scripts can be a bit tricky: they absolutely require FAT32 formatting, no "hidden" folders in the root directory, and a proper copie_scr.sh file to run properly. Hidden folders can be introduced by Mac OS Finder, Windows Explorer, and other GUI file system browser tools. And copie_scr.sh is a lightly encrypted shell script that is not human-readable (unless you can recognized the encryption algorithm in your head). I've also noticed that the QNX process that launches SD card scripts sometimes misses the SD card insertion event (i.e., the known good script doesn't launch as expected); in those cases, I remove the card, count to 10 slowly, then re-insert. Now that I think of it, another problem has to do with how the "standard" copie_scr.sh is written: when the QNX launcher process finds copie_scr.sh on the newly inserted SD card, it will launch the script, which, in turn, tries to launch the run.sh script on the SD card. But this breaks when the SD card is inserted in Slot 2 and another FAT32 SD card is already in Slot 1 (which is why I wrote my own copie_scr.sh to fix this).

MMI Setup > System version information reports a NULL nav database version likely because file /mnt/efs-persist/navi/db/acios_db.ini is not found, related to the misapplication of the 3GP "activator" script.

So, what to do? User @Chris72 had a similar problem last November, described here: MMI 3G navigation 6.30.1 Europe - currently 2020
His experience may be helpful. --g

·
Registered
13 Posts
@DrGER Thanks for the info.

I don't have too much coding experience with QNX, but I have had some exposure to it as an OS. So it's not "completely" new to me, ha ha.

I am usually pretty good with SD cards and stuff. Been using GUIFormat for years, and have been re-formatting the card after every installation to keep it as "clean" as possible. It is on a Windows computer, with hidden files and folders viewable. So not really sure why I couldn't get the activator to run, other than maybe the emergency update actually deleted the nav files maybe? But then as you say, the activator is modifying the "firmware" rather than the nav files. But then that also doesn't explain why it wouldn't work pre-emergency update.

So I didn't have time to do anything today, tomorrow I'm busy getting ready for my holidays, and I'm leaving Sunday, so I doubt I'll get a chance to have another go for a couple weeks. Unless I have a free couple hours I can just let a map update run. I think that's the next step. Attempt to re-upload the maps, and then run the 3GH activator again, or at least attempt it.

I guess there is a chance that because I am using a microSD card instead of a regular SD card might be an issue here, but I doubt it honestly. I'm using high quality cards here (Samsung EVO Plus, which is significantly faster / better than my Sandisk Ultra). Although both are 128GB cards, FAT 32 formatted.

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@Stewart M : Look at my MMI 3G system information script here: mmi3ginfo2.zip
Extract to a clean FAT32 SD card. Start the MMI system. Wait until MM Setup > System version information reports the software version before inserting the SD card into either SD slot. You should see prompts on the MMI display at script start & end. Information about system process & installed files are saved on the SD card in a plain-text file. If you don't see file acios_db.ini in /mnt/efs-persist/navi/db/, that's a place to start. Also, I don't think you should see any .fsc files in /mnt/efs-persist/FSC/. If you still see the fsc file copied by the 3GP "activator" script, that's likely a problem, too.

My (personal) opinion on MMI 3G update SD media is to minimize defect opportunities by (1) using only full-size SD cards and (2) limit to qualified capacity for the MMI generation (hence the box of full-size 2, 8, 16, and 32 SD cards for MMI script experiments). Just my 2p. --g

·
Registered
25 Posts
@patroclox : Check that your SD card has not "hidden" directories/folders at the root directory (e.g., .Trash). My experience has been that these are likely to cause an SD card script not to be recognized by the QNX scriptlauncher process. Graphical file managers (Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, Gnome Nautilus) all tend to add these. My recommendation: quick format the SD card as FAT32, then extract the archive directly to the SD card. In my case, I always update my MMI SD card scripts from a Linux command line to ensure no hidden directories/folders are added to the card. --g
Hi, I have managed to install Ubuntu on a laptop to extract the files directly to the card formatted from linux, I have tried wait 5-10 seconds, then re-insert the SD card.
Nothing works, any other ideas, some other version of the activator? :D

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@patroclox : I don't claim to be an MMI 3G/3G+ expert, but I haven't seen/heard of any case where the SD card script launcher (proc_scriptlauncher) stopped working (for no good reason). In general, I wait until the system software version is reported on the "MMI Setup > Software version information screen" before running an SD script, though that should not be necessary since the process the process that starts proc_scriptlauncher (srv-starter-QNX) starts early in the boot process. Also, if you're using an older "activator" script, it should be run from SD slot 1 with no SD card in slot 2 (stated here for completeness).

Now, can you run any SD card scripts that display prompts on the MMI screen ? Because if you cannot, that would be a real problem. --g

·
Registered
13 Posts
So a bit of an update as to where I am now. I had a few weeks off while I was on holiday, but back at it now.

As I couldn't get any script to work to "fix" the incorrect activator I had installed, I entered the Green Menu and did an emergency firmware update back to the latest. As said earlier.

Since then, I have attempted to re-install the maps a few times, with no success. Each time I get an error saying the Nav Database is not compatible (see attached pics). I find this strange if I'm honest. The first time I installed the maps I was able to see the roads, and check some new local roads where present before the activator installation. So the maps I am using here have been compatible in the past.

I will admit at this point, it turns out my battery may need replaced, and my battery charger wasn't man enough for the job either. So on at least one attempt, the battery died mid-installation. I have since bought a new charger that is indeed up to the job. But last night I finally got a "clean" installation, with a brand new, super fast SD card (not microSD to see if that makes a difference). Still took 3 hours though, so the speed of the card didn't help. Still ended up with incompatible map data.

This was for the latest 2022 maps, so might attempt to try the 2021 maps, but I have a feeling it might be something else that is the issue here.

Anyway, this is where I am currently.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Mode of transport

·
Registered
31 Posts
Font Number Parallel Pattern

# Database : "ECE_Hi_R_6.32.1"
# Filename : "//MMI3G/metainfo2.txt"
# Version : "6.32.1"

Running the update on my RS5 Hnav while posting this. As I'm bored while waiting I was trying to figure out how long it will take. By lack of a decent progress-bar I created the table above from the contents of the metainfo2.txt. It shows the file sizes of the different files it is copying and gives a bit of an indication on the progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@patroclox : SD card scripts that contain hidden directories/folders (e.g., .Trash) are likely to be unrecognized by the QNX script launcher process, hence, will appear not to run. I've also had the experience where a known correct SD card script did not launch, as expected, within, say, 10 seconds. When that happens, I will remove the SD card, wait 5-10 seconds, then re-insert the SD card, and the script is executed properly. --g
Just to be sure, when I'm in the RED ENGINEERING menu and I insert the SD card with the activator, should it just run or do I need to press the Update button on the MMI? The activator I'm using has a different root folder structure than described in the upgrade manual (FSC folder + metainfo2.txt). The root folder of the activator I'm trying to use consists of:

<Screens>
<Utils>
copie_scr.sh
run.sh.

Is it correct that inserting the SD-CARD should automatically trigger the shell script? If I try going to update and point to the SD1 slot it shows "Reading release info" and than aborts with "The release info could not be read"

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Electronic device

edit a few minutes later:
I figured it out, the problem is when unpacking the zip / rar file of the activator on a windows machine it skips a 0kb file called "upd" . When this is missing the SD card is not recognized and won't run. I guess QNX is looking for the existence of this identifier before it executes a shell script. Used Linux mint to format the SD card and unpack the files and baboom, there was a file I hadn't seen before. Above the correct contents of the root of the SD card.

Update seems succesfull, nav is working and where before it told me "Navigation blocked" I can see the map again. Whole process took about 3,5 hours. I did the entire process with the engine off. I used the key in the ignition lock to toggle the ignition when it turns off automatically every 30 minutes. Battery drained from 100% back to 70%.

·
Registered
A8 2015
133 Posts
I figured it out, the problem is when unpacking the zip / rar file of the activator on a windows machine it skips a 0kb file called "upd" . When this is missing the SD card is not recognized and won't run. I guess QNX is looking for the existence of this identifier before it executes a shell script. Used Linux mint to format the SD card and unpack the files and baboom, there was a file I hadn't seen before. Above the correct contents of the root of the SD card.
Almost, but not quite right. There are various 3GHigh 'activators' and the one you used does look for a file called 'upd', for no reason that I can determine. [If you look at the run.sh file you'll see that there is a line that says "if [ -e /fs/$i/upd ] ; then"; this is where it's looking for a file called 'upd' on the SD card]!!

The way that the MMI runs SD cards is that one of the MMI programs looks for an SD insertion with a file named 'copie-scr.sh'. If it finds it, the MMI runs it. Note - the file is encrypted on the SD, so it's unreadable using a text editor. Accordingly, you can't easily determine what the script is doing.

The 'copie-scr.sh' file on activation cards runs 'run.sh'. Whatever 'run.sh' contains determines what the SD card does. In your case it was looking for a file named 'upd', which it seems you didn't have originally. ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Almost, but not quite right. There are various 3GHigh 'activators' and the one you used does look for a file called 'upd', for no reason that I can determine. [If you look at the run.sh file you'll see that there is a line that says "if [ -e /fs/$i/upd ] ; then"; this is where it's looking for a file called 'upd' on the SD card]!!

The way that the MMI runs SD cards is that one of the MMI programs looks for an SD insertion with a file named 'copie-scr.sh'. If it finds it, the MMI runs it. The 'copie-scr.sh' file on activation cards then runs 'run.sh'. Whatever 'run.sh' contains determines what the SD card does. In your case it was looking for a file named 'upd', which it seems you didn't have originally. ...
Hello, I haven't managed to activate my maps yet and the truth would be good for me, since next week I'm traveling by car and I plan to use my mobile phone.

My activator doesn't have a file called upd, nor does that line appear in my run.sh script.
I was left with the fact that there are other scripts, where could I find them? Or, could someone send me that activator that includes an upd.
I would love to try the different scripts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
A8 2015
133 Posts
@patroclox, why are you interested in running different scripts? They all do the same thing, as explained to you before. [They change the .cfg file to run a script rather than a program and add the script to the MMI system]. 3GHigh systems don't seem to have .fsc file manipulation, but there must be a valid one in order for navigation to work.

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@patroclox : What is the current status of navigation on your 3G High system ? That is, when you select [NAV], what happens next ? Does the system display the map (briefly) before showing the "navigation data is blocked" message; or does the system show immediately another message (like, "navigation data is invalid" or "navigation is initializing") ?

If the former ("blocked" message), your system does not have the correct "activator" patch installed noted by @JulianHicks , above.

If the latter ("invalid" or "initializing" message), it could be that your system is missing a valid acios_db.ini in /mnt/efs-persist/navi/db (or is missing some other database file). --g

·
Registered
25 Posts
@patroclox : What is the current status of navigation on your 3G High system ? That is, when you select [NAV], what happens next ? Does the system display the map (briefly) before showing the "navigation data is blocked" message; or does the system show immediately another message (like, "navigation data is invalid" or "navigation is initializing") ?

If the former ("blocked" message), your system does not have the correct "activator" patch installed noted by @JulianHicks , above.

If the latter ("invalid" or "initializing" message), it could be that your system is missing a valid acios_db.ini in /mnt/efs-persist/navi/db (or is missing some other database file). --g
Thanks again DRGER.
When I access NAV directly it shows me the message "Navigation data is not activated"

Well, maybe the system was corrupted when I uninstalled the old activator that I had installed by mistake, do you think we could solve it?

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@patroclox : The (original) Spanish version of the message you are seeing seems unusual to me: I can't find an example of this translated message (in English) from an equivalent MMI 3G High system. Does this mean navigation data is "blocked" or not "enabled" ? The difference is significant and important.

One thing to check (quickly) is to ensure Navigation is not disabled from the Green Engineering Menu. Look at diagnose > coding > internal_modules_1+2 and confirm that "NAVI (off)" is NOT selected:
Green Terrestrial plant Slope Font Circle

Can you also run the current version of my MMI information status SD card script mmi3ginfo2.zip and post the resulting log file ? --g

Reactions: patroclox

·
Registered
25 Posts
@patroclox : The (original) Spanish version of the message you are seeing seems unusual to me: I can't find an example of this translated message (in English) from an equivalent MMI 3G High system. Does this mean navigation data is "blocked" or not "enabled" ? The difference is significant and important.

One thing to check (quickly) is to ensure Navigation is not disabled from the Green Engineering Menu. Look at diagnose > coding > internal_modules_1+2 and confirm that "NAVI (off)" is NOT selected:
View attachment 183891

Can you also run the current version of my MMI information status SD card script mmi3ginfo2.zip and post the resulting log file ? --g
@DrGER, thanks for your interest, I tell you:
I have changed the language and as you can see in the attached image, I can confirm "navigation data is blocked".

I have executed your script, and in this links you can see everything,

Regarding the green menu, I have never been able to access it, not even using the "Green Menu Activation" script, I have tried many combinations and I don't get it.
I attach another image of my dashboard

Land vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car

Car White Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
499 Posts
@patroclox : OK, "Navigation data is blocked" tells us that your 3G High system is launching the mme-becker QNX binary directly, and the last part of the log file confirms that your 3G High system does not have the mme-becker.sh script patch installed. Your system does have acios_db.ini in the expected location (good).

Your system has what look like 2 original FSC files saved in /mnt/efs-extended/FSCBackup; they may be useful, and would be worth saving off the system at some point.

I would think that you should be able to run any of the known 3G High "activator" scripts now (with the "blocked" message displayed); I have one available here as an RAR archive: Activator-3G.rar

Re starting the Green Engineering Menu (GEM), after the GEM is enabled (using the SD script or by the Address 5F adaptation with VCDS or equivalent tool), I believe buttons [CAR]+[SETUP] are used to start the GEM. In your case, however, we know that NAV is not disabled, so the GEM is not needed here. --g

221 - 240 of 259 Posts