Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Extra tips, which are not in guide but maybe just assumed you would know.
  • I am using a brand new sd card,
  • After every update I format the card, not delete the contents.
  • Always eject the card in windows, dont just pull it out after file transfer.
  • Getting into engineering mode was hit a miss for me. Dont know how many times I had to push the buttons and hold to get into it.
  • My battery charge is one that charges and maintains.
Nothing much else really as the guide was easy to understand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been doing exactly the same as you except I've been running the engine for the FW updates and watching it. I've just finished the second one and although everything worked fine, my Nav is now blocked. I'm not going to worry about it now. I'll continue with the rest of the updates and delete the Nav HDD data anyway from the green menu and install the latest Nav maps. I'm just interested to see whether the activator posted at the start is going to work as it appears to be for a previous version of maps and people who upgrade from older activated maps arent having to use it. I think the activation is 'carried over' therefore if activation for 2019 maps doesnt work, I will try the 2017 maps and see if I can activate that and then update from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a bit confused on the activator. Downloaded the one that is mentioned in the first post and the files dont match the guide. There is no FSC folder and looks more like script, similar to green menu script.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a bit confused on the activator. Downloaded the one that is mentioned in the first post and the files dont match the guide. There is no FSC folder and looks more like script, similar to green menu script.
yes. apparently wait for MMI to fully load everything, wait another min, check the Nav button and you should see it say its blocked. Activate the script the same way you do the green menu (from what I've read)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh right, that's different to guide. Guide says it's like a firmware update and you do it through engineering menu.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh right, that's different to guide. Guide says it's like a firmware update and you do it through engineering menu.
Hows it going? are you struggling? Got me on the edge of my seat pressing the refresh button every now and again :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been doing exactly the same as you except I've been running the engine for the FW updates and watching it. I've just finished the second one and although everything worked fine, my Nav is now blocked.
Can confirm that although the nav showed blocked at each stage of the firmware update, after installing the final one (0257-6), my Nav came back to life with the original maps. Just waiting to hear how Gaz has got on before attempting the maps update now :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
All done... I think lol. so I got the Nav blocked message, left it on for 5 mins, put the SD card in and ran the script. Now I don't get the Nav block and I can plot a route, how ever.... The car satnav is plotting a route from my mums house which is 20 miles away! if I go to map view it thinks I am at my mums?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had read somewhere that something similar had happened to others. Something about the nav thinking it was near Africa !! Apparently it settled down after a few days with a little driving about. Try rebooting a couple of times and seeing if the GPS calibrates itself. If you have an app on your phone which gives you actual coordinates, you can always check them against what the car GPS is actually reporting by going into the GPS menu in the green screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a quick update for everyone. Its perfectly fine to delete the existing nav database and partition and go straight to the latest maps. You may get a GPS positioning issue to start with, but take your car out for a drive and very soon it will re-calibrate and lock-in the correct position on the maps. Follow the instructions on page 1 carefully and you wont have any problems. Just to be clear, I have a 2010 Q5 3GH with B+O sound system and followed the guide as written. No need to do custom installs unless you have a Bose sound system.

Happy updating everyone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a quick update for everyone. Its perfectly fine to delete the existing nav database and partition and go straight to the latest maps. You may get a GPS positioning issue to start with, but take your car out for a drive and very soon it will re-calibrate and lock-in the correct position on the maps. Follow the instructions on page 1 carefully and you wont have any problems. Just to be clear, I have a 2010 Q5 3GH with B+O sound system and followed the guide as written. No need to do custom installs unless you have a Bose sound system.

Happy updating everyone.
I 2nd that, 2010 S5 4.2 V8. Upgraded from stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry gents, but can I just update to the latest Firmware from the stock firmware on a 2010, or do I need to install each firmware (in order)?

the maps update seems to be straight forward.

cheers for the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally I think you can but I haven't seen anyone do it yet and I didn't dare try.
What makes me think you can is because the last firmware file was pretty big but when it shows what it's going to update, most was set to "No" which I assume means they don't need updating. It also installed quite quickly compared to the others, yet was bigger.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
if you ask me, the answer is: this question has been asked and answered before :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers Gaz.

and you are correct, Fred, the question has been asked before... however nobody answered it in this thread.... hence why I asked.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
81 - 100 of 138 Posts