Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
521 - 540 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
just wanted to say a big thanks for all responses to my comments so far...

got a new SD card (Sandisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I)

followed the guide for software update...as I've got BOSE I went with the modified firmware update

took as long as explained....(out of interest, could I have deselected all of the unwanted languages if Id wanted it to be faster)

So now running ver K0942...and all files prepped and ready for the map update either one night this weekend or at the weekend when I have a bit more time

Out of interest, I realised a few months ago that the data connection option is greyed out in my phone settings..even when I have a known/working sim card in the slot.

Is this something I need to tweak to get working again as it has definitely worked fine in the past.

Also, I have noticed since updating MMI, that I no longer have green menu access ( I know it can be a pain to access first time everytime but it doesnt seem to want to work at all now.

Would updating to latest firmware have removed the green menu access ability...and if so is there a simple way to get accecss again if I no longer have access to VAGCOM

As before, thanks in advance

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
200 Posts
@JBR74 : I didn't think a software update would over-write the GEM activation, since that setting is in persistent flash memory. Still, the OP links to an SD script that should (re)activate the GEM following a three-button restart. HTH --g

·
Registered
6 Posts
@JBR74 : I didn't think a software update would over-write the GEM activation, since that setting is in persistent flash memory. Still, the OP links to an SD script that should (re)activate the GEM following a three-button restart. HTH --g
Thanks again, was just about to run through the script and then found my VAGCOM cable which I thought was long gone...so fired it up and the GEM was indeed reset back to off, but a quick tweak switched it back on again and its now functioning as expected

Now hunting for a resolution for my "data connection - greyed out issue"

Update:

Seems that regardless of my data conenction" issue...the oly real reason I wanted it was for Google Maps ability...but looks like all pre 2019 model shad this ability removed at the end of 202...what with the Pandemic, we hadnt been anywhere to really useit hence me not noticing before now it has gone

Whilst slightly annoying, not the end of the world as now considering adding Apple Car play to my MMI using a retrofit device for relatively decent money (£219) so Ill also have the option to use Apple Map,s, Google Maps, Waze (possible here now) all from the head units with very little fuss and using my phone's data which would be the best way to do things anyway...so the sim car wouldn't be needed in the MMI slot anymore anyway...the other benefits were mainly for show anyway and a bit clunky on only 3G...and let s be honest, its 6 year old tech now

Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
one final question prior to me doing all the map updates.....does the activator listed on page 1 work fine with MMI 3G+ or do I need something different as per post #519 in order to activate the maps

Also, one other thing of note:

Instructions say:

Make sure that MMI is fully booted (press all buttons once RADIO CAR NAV MEDIA TEL).
Wait until all options are ok (no options in gray) even when all options are ok wait a minute more.
K942 firmware and maps 2018 must already be install

I have of course updated firmware but maps are stock maps that came with the car in 2014...am I ok to go ahead and activate using whichever activator you mention re the above point, eg they arent 2018 maps as per documentation...also, does it mean to push all of the above buttons at the same time, or one by one?

Thanks so mcuh

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
200 Posts
@JBR74 : That's curious about your mobile data connection. I'm thinking this may have to do with configuration settings in the QNX system. What do you see in the GEM when you select "Show Network Configuration" under /config ? A proper mobile data connection configuration should return:
Green Rectangle Terrestrial plant Font Slope

The important bit here is "Online traffic is routed through GSM". If you don't see this, it's likely the process the manages the data connection is disabled (hence, the greyed out "Data connection" menu item). Of course, when 3G data networks are turned off, this won't matter much for this almost 10 year-old tech.

Re a working MMI 3G+ "activator" script, I'd recommend the script linked in post #517; the script is NOT specific to any particular nav database udpate. Also, don't run the script until & unless you get the "navigation data is unavailable" message on the MMI screen while in the NAV > Map function. --g

Reactions: JBR74

·
Registered
6 Posts
interestingly, my bottom line is different...but means nothing to me....like you say, 3G networks are begin tuned off in the not too distant future so its far from the end of the world

I did manage to get itworking again briefly a while back...albeit on my original fiormware...by "uninstalling fair mode)

Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Display device Screenshot

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Guys, This is my first post so if I am in the wrong topic or I have jumped on to someone else's topic I will apologise now. I have updated my software to HN+_EU_AU3G_K0942_3. That went off without a hitch. The problem I am having is updating the maps to the 2021/22. I have followed what everyone has said, green menu, delete Nav database and partition. Selected user defined and then tried the update. It gets to near the end after near 2 hours when I get an error code 141 with the choices of retry, skip and some others. I have tried retry dozens of times but it refuses to go past so I then have to press skip. Net result is I have no satnav it just says something like satnav data is invalid. Have you any ideas where I am going wrong. The car is a 2014 S4 Avant
Thanks

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
200 Posts
@Wills1959 : Error codes during MMI software updates are due generally to faulty or poor quality SD cards. Skipping an update component will result in an invalid nav database. Try again with a Sandisk 32 GB high speed SD card. BTW, unless you're updating nav data for a different region, deleting the nav database & partition is a waste of time and adds unnecessary complication to the update process. --g

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks @DrGER, I actually bought the map update from a company in the UK before finding this website. So could I just copy the info from the one I have to a new Sandisk? Would that make any difference? I have tried this update 6 times now at near 2 hours each time. I am on the verge of biting the bullet and going direct to Audi for them to sort it out

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
200 Posts
@Wills1959 : That's interesting. Did the UK vendor send you OE (i.e., Audi labeled) SD cards ? Note that the first post of this thread has a reference to error code 141, suggesting a corrupt file on that SD card. My advice would be to compare the nav update files offered here with those on your (failing) SD card using md5sum (or similar checksum calculator). --g

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi @DrGER , They are Audi labled SD cards. This has been going on for a couple of weeks and he sent me a replacement card which arrived this morning to which I get the same result. I am new to this game so when I looked at the Maps on here there was so many to choose from I didn't know where to start. The 2021/22 map that I did find had so many different downloads it would take me a week to download it all. My internet I am lucky if I get 1mb/sec. Thanks for your replies

·
Administrator
474 Posts
You can try to copy the files to a known good SD card and try again. The MMI is picky when it comes to SD cards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@JohnS4 Thanks. I have just ordered a SanDisk 32GB SDHC so I will try and copy the files from one to the other. Are there any special ways I should look out for? EG hidden files etc that wont necessarily copy over. I have EaseUS Todo backup I thinking of using to make a clone of the original one :) :)

·
Administrator
474 Posts
Copy the files to a folder on your PC then onto the new card. Don’t use a Mac unless you have a tool to purge .dsfiles and other Mac specific files as the MMI won’t like them.

521 - 540 of 612 Posts