Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
321 - 340 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
A8 2015
47 Posts
I totally agree with you. In my Q5 I have to proceed as follows (I delete nav partition and database 1st)
User defined mode (green menu)
Engineering menu - update - select ?
90 min - cancel doc
once finished green menu again, user defined mode and install gemmy from K900 firmware (and those that appear with Y by default in such firmware after map update) always cancel doc. If you dont do so, Google earth map appearance cant be selected (refer to post 1 in this thread)
Once restarted (optional, just to get shown in MMI I have latest firmware, 942_3, instead of K900) I repeat last procedure with firmware 942_3 but selecting 2 or 3 another elementes (reflash same version, no worries) selecting from those with N (that's because current version is the same)

After finish this, last map is on the system and last firmware. No need to activate, neither after map upgrade nor after those partial firmware flash.

regards
I'm sure it does work, but you're missing the point.
If you didn't delete the map partition, you wouldn't need to reinstall GEMMI from the MMI SD ...
J

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure it does work, but you're missing the point.
If you didn't delete the map partition, you wouldn't need to reinstall GEMMI from the MMI SD ...
J
I followed always 1st page manuals in pdf. Updated one in English states now there’s no need to delete previous map, but 2018 version said it was recommended . In any case, I only say what works to me, I have been updating maps with this sequence since 2018, twice per year. Could be better? For sure, but it works. No need to like 🙂

·
Registered
57 Posts
I totally agree with you. In my Q5 I have to proceed as follows (I delete nav partition and database 1st)
User defined mode (green menu)
Engineering menu - update - select ?
90 min - cancel doc
once finished green menu again, user defined mode and install gemmy from K900 firmware (and those that appear with Y by default in such firmware after map update) always cancel doc. If you dont do so, Google earth map appearance cant be selected (refer to post 1 in this thread)
Once restarted (optional, just to get shown in MMI I have latest firmware, 942_3, instead of K900) I repeat last procedure with firmware 942_3 but selecting 2 or 3 another elementes (reflash same version, no worries) selecting from those with N (that's because current version is the same)

After finish this, last map is on the system and last firmware. No need to activate, neither after map upgrade nor after those partial firmware flash.

"Quote didnt work".

Thats how I have done it previously, but for 6.33.1 im gonna just try a standard update first, then if i have any issues ill do a user defined.

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
117 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick note to say thanks and that this worked well on my B8.5 S4 with MMI 3GP, last updated in 2012.

My experience:
  • Used modified file and expecting the green menu but didn't seem to activate it (I didn't use it anyway so no biggie)
  • A number of the language files in the SSS folder from the modified link were corrupt and would not write to the SD card, so I copied SSS folder from the stock version and worked fine.
  • Used a cheap 16GB SD card for the firmware and for the activator (activator was the link from first / main post)
  • Used a 64GB Sandisk MicroSD (in an adapter) for the map, formatted as fat32. No issues and did not need to delete any folders this way. I only had 16 and 64 cards, so chose to do it this way to avoid buying another card.
  • Just used standard update engineering menu for firmware and maps and all went exactly as per instructions.
  • Didn't delete nav database or partition, as per post I read saying no need to do this if the region is staying same. Same post also said some firmware files are written to the nav partition, so I didn't want to have to rerun updates. No issues encountered by not deleting nav partition or or database.
  • Firmware probably took around 30-40 minutes, with the language files taking the most time overall to update and the maps took around 2 hours to copy over / update all the files. I left engine running for this time as my battery is not in the best condition!
  • Activator worked well. After the map was installed I could see the map briefly before it was blocked with a message like "navigation not available" or something. I put in the activator, it rebooted and maps worked again.
  • No idea if any fault codes recorded in the background but all is working well so not really bothered.
Thanks to everyone for the clear instructions, files and useful feedback in various posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello , My MMi dont have SIM card , can I use my smartphone with bluetoth to use the Google Maps ? if yes , how I can enable it? I have the last version from firmware/maps.
Thank you
It is possible. Google earth is problematic since 2021! But full functional Audi connect with Google search is still working. What you won’t get is Google earth and traffic. Google earth is still possible but you have to get it done by this guy: Google Earth - Audi-MIB.bg

i cannot find the tutorial but it is available online somewhere. You will need green menu, to link 3020 router and a special usb-Ethernet adapter. Also you need Audi connectivity port to usb!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All!

Thank you for this forum.

Can this data be used to create navigation sd card + activation? If so, what type of the card be best SDHC/SDXC or may be even micro sd?

Audi A1, head 8XA035192F

Your response would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
117 Posts
Hello All!

Thank you for this forum.

Can this data be used to create navigation sd card + activation? If so, what type of the card be best SDHC/SDXC or may be even micro sd?

Audi A1, head 8XA035192F

Your response would be much appreciated.
Short answer is: No.

Yours is RMC, not MMI3G/3GP. More info HERE. --g

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you, I think I have been able to get one to work, as you may have realised very new. Just bought a 2011 Q7 and the maps never look like they have been updated. I think I have a MMI 3 High so hope this works.

321 - 340 of 461 Posts