Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due delivery of A5 2.0lt sport 180bhp in January and plan to add Sat Nav Plus to my list of options. I've got until October to finailse this.

The problem I've got is that I know that there is a MK3 version of the Sat Nav going into the new A6. (See pages 38 / 39 from new A6 price guide). Its £1900 including the AMI so actually works out cheaper than buying the Sat Nav + the AMI on the current A5. :mad:

Does anyone know of any plans to put this in the A5 yet?

If I went for the MK2 sat nav do you think that this will be out dated very quickly........my dealer seems to know very little about this! surprise surprise :rolleyes:

Any recommendations on how I can find out some solid reliable info would be appreciated. :confused:

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Does anyone know of any plans to put this in the A5 yet?
There is none yet published.

It is also wrong to assume that it will turn up on the A5 very soon as well. Its not just software but a load of hardware as well and that may require some re-tooling as well as a change in the availability of parts which typically tends to start slow and then get faster. No doubt it will arrive at some point but I would put the money on 2010 or even 2011 with a model update.

Remember that there are still cars in the Audi range that have recently gone through updates that are still getting the RNS-E.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Remember that there are still cars in the Audi range that have recently gone through updates that are still getting the RNS-E.
Would I be glad to have the RNS-E in the A5/S5! Especially the RNS-E nav is much richer in functionality than the MMI:
- find POIs along(!) the route (possible on the RNS-E)
- ALWAYS choose between 3 alternative routes (RNS-E)
- have police checkpoints displayed and warnings via TMC (RNS-E)
- split screen when approaching exit (RNS-E)
- when using multiple navigation points, you can see ETA/distance/etc of ALL intermediate points and destination as well (RNS-E)

That's the reason they still use it in the TT and the R8 imho. Let's hope the 3-gen MMI will have this all and more!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I find the RNS-E ugly. The screen appears blurred and its badly positioned in existing models.
- ALWAYS choose between 3 alternative routes (RNS-E)
You can choose quickest and fastest on the MMI. Not 3 but 2 ;)
- split screen when approaching exit (RNS-E)
Not much use when its stuck in the middle of the console. I like the main map in the main MMI display and directions in the DIS screen.

The MMI mk3 improvements do look better but had the RNS-E been the A5 nav option, I wouldnt have got it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi GlennSmith,

I've been weighing up a similar choice. I like the idea of MMI (who doesn't love gadgets), but given that you can now get an AMI adaptor using CAN rather than MOST, the Aussie Dollar $5,700 for MMI (that's USD$4,950 or $3,350 euros) seems pretty steep. As far as I can seem the only obvious & immediate benefits of MMI is the Sat Nav and the knob in a different position (plus the ability to add other bits and pieces later on).

It may be a moot point anyway. I have spoken to my dealer and he thinks its too late for me to change my order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts