Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I was supposed to have the Miltek fitted on the APS day on 7th June but due to unforeseen circumstances I cannot make it...so therefore booked my car into APS for work to be carried out Friday 23rd May.

Firstly thanks goes to Ess5IVE and Ianhp1 for there very good report on the miltek and other mods, and this is effectively supporting evidence and an extension of their report.

Secondly I decided to write this as im sure there are many people umming and rrring, on whether or not to get the Miltek....too loud...not to loud...possibly sound boy racerish??? I have been in this state of mind for sometime as am very very picky on mods done and want to get it right first time as im sure many of you do. This not being helped by the lack of videos and sound comparisons available (except for Ian's sound sample). However this still does not do the Miltek any justice.

Visuals - Not being overly persuaded to get the Jet tip finish I opted for the rolled tip. Due to it not being in stock I was advised to get the Jet tip, but this was also justified by ED saying you wont be disappointed. Well I was'nt disappointed at all. It really does complement the lines of the rear bumper and just looks like its at home. Please not that it in no way whatsoever does it portray a boy racer look!!

Sound - :D This really does do the engine justice. The engine has been let out of the cage :) By complementing such an awesome engine, it now sounds like a true 'supercar'. I was wary of Ian saying its sounds like a supercar but well...he could'nt have said it any better. Under load the engine has a deep roar..similar to that of a Lamborghini roaring past you :D People now know you have a V8!!! A concern I had before getting the Miltek was whether there would be a drone (the one that just annoys you and gives you a headache), when driving at speed on the motorway. Well my concern was wiped away. On the motorway you can barely tell the difference from OEM.
The only downside is that at low revs the car does sound a little boomy, however your driving style in respect to gear changes will adapt to minimise this.

Performance - Indeed there is more mid-range torque. Again Ian had it spot on....the car just pulls and pulls. Personally it feels as if the engine has been broken into properly and is truly open, with no signs of resistance, or power tapering off. I believe there is a tiny tiny drop off in low end torque...but in all honesty this is hard to notice or experience unless driving around town in 6th gear!

Advantages

1) Does the engine full justice.
2) Gives it a true supercar sound.
3) Tips complement the S5's beautiful lines.
4) You will find yourself grinning from engine on to engine off.
5) Improved feel of the car when accelerating hard and you just feel the car pulling away at ease!!!

Disadvantage
1) Can sound a little boomy at low revs.
2) You will find your fuel consumption increasing, due to you giving it some around town :D
3) You will be asking yourself...why did I get the B&O upgrade. I have'nt listened to mine since getting the Miltek :D

Conclusion - To answer the question..should I go for it or not?? Well YES. This should have come standard with the car, and I believe it to be a shame that it did'nt. You will not find yourself thinking this is too loud or too quiet. It just hits the spot. The above report sums up the Miltek and I hope it helps make your desicions easier, but no amount of words can describe the full potential and quality of the Miltek. Your best bet is to hear it on the car. (Please note is anyone wants to hear mine, feel free to drop me a message).

I am 150% happy with my purchase and not one ounce of me regrets purchasing it. Money WELL spent!!!

Thanks goes out to the team at APS for doing such a wonderful job. Their workshop is of a high quality, and lwork is carried out professionaly and efficiently. Oh and I didnt take your name but I wanted to say thanks for solving the issue for my friends Audi A3....one that Audi themselves couldnt even help with :)

Pictures

OEM Exhaust

Miltek Jet Tips

Miltek Jet Tips 2

Rear end view

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Awesome writeup. I am slowly starting to listen to my radio now, but like you said, I was just listening to the exhaust for a long while.

Did you keep the resonators on???

·
Registered
196 Posts
excellent post

Videos would be nice too :D

I'm sold. I'm planning to get the milltek exhaust system once I get my ride. Unless they make something better by then. But I'd have to say that Milltek is probably one of my favorite ones I've heard so far.

Grats!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive got a HD video camera so will get some 'good' videos this weekend (weather permitting) :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Micky,

Thanks for the great, objective and detailed write-up. I agree with absolutely everything you said, about the noise, the plusses and minusses and the torque etc. Spot on! :D ...I also agree that the video and sound files just don't do it justice. Further more, in a week or so, the sound will become a little 'edgier' and even better!

...Today we had our first owners club meet in the the peak district and several S5 owners heard the Milltek first-hand on mine and Ess5's car. I even took Japes for a drive so he could hear the noise in the cabin... boy was he grinning when we got back! I think there could be a few more Milltek's about to be fitted!!

Japes... Want to comment??

So, it's not just me and Ess5 ranting on... the Milltek really does sound bloody fantastic, and release that engine!

...as for the B&O... you are so right. I hardly have it on at all!! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Micky,

Nice to meet you on Friday, sorry i didn't get to see you off as i was out picking up some parts.

Good to hear you’re pleased with the Milltek!

Speak to you soon.

Kind regards,

Ed

·
Registered
432 Posts
Any chance there will be an AWE or GMG exhaust at this APS meet? I'd like to know what the difference is by someone who has heard them side by side. I also wonder which one is quieter inside.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Any chance there will be an AWE or GMG exhaust at this APS meet? I'd like to know what the difference is by someone who has heard them side by side. I also wonder which one is quieter inside.
I may have my GMG exhaust and downpipes fitted by then, but won't be attending the meet. If however anyone in Scotland has the Milltek we can do a side by side comparison.

Failing that, I will be doing a video and will post as high a quality video as bandwidth allows for those still wondering which system to go for.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for posting that Micky ;)

Look foward to the 7th even more now :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the Milltek Catback exhaust installed as well. Here's my writeup on it...

(Please see MickyT's posting above. I wouldn't be able to say it any better)
:)

Great, spot-on description!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm still scratching my head on this :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking to hear sound of Miltek

New to the forum, pick up my S5 on Sat 20th ( I hope):) Thinking about the Miltek and I am wondering how I can get to hear one for real. Do any S5 owners get together for a beer south of M25?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Milltek tip styles - just to be clear....

In Milltek parlance, 'Special' = 'slash cut' - this is what Ianhp1, myself and some others have had fitted. 'Jet' = 'rolled edge', the first of which were supplied and fitted at the APS mod-day this last Sat, June 7th.

Just thought I'd dispel any confusion as Micky, me old mate - you've actually got 'Special'/slash cut, not Jet (and very lovely it looks too!)

It's a subjective thing - having seen Jet in the flesh for the first time on Sat, I was impressed, not least with the perforated/heat-shield inner-pipe treatment. However, the perceived diameter of the Special pipes is substantially greater than the Jet - because they're inward-rolled, with no flare, the aperture (Ian taught me that word - apparently means the gaping great 'ole - never used it before - there's the first time) seems smaller and the overall effect is more subtle, less aggressive (more akin to the stock look in fact, although the pipes do protrude further from the valance as you can see from the pics on the 'APS tuning day' thread.

However, from a distance, the Jet finish is a lot more visible as you view the car from the rear - you clearly have 4 big (g-ish) f*ck-off 'apertures' (2) shouting at you, whereas with the Special, the impact is greatest when close-up, particularly if, as in Ian's case, you don't spend at least 20 mins of your total detailing ritual cleaning the pipe inside and out, in which case the definition of the pipe circumference is lost in caked-on soot.

In summary, had the Jet been 1cm or so greater diameter, I would have had my Special tips replaced with Jet, but overall, I'm happy with the Special, not least because there's plenty of room for Ian to give them a good fisting when his poor attention to inner-pipe cleansing etiquette finally leads to a congestion issue which prompts him to look for someone else's......aperture (and 3!!!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
In Milltek parlance, 'Special' = 'slash cut' - this is what Ianhp1, myself and some others have had fitted. 'Jet' = 'rolled edge', the first of which were supplied and fitted at the APS mod-day this last Sat, June 7th.
Ess - are Spinner and me the first to have the Jet Tips fitted then? Makes them even more appealing :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hey Manor, well, amongst the select crowd of UK A5OCers and APS junkies, as far as I know, you were the first!

Can't speak for RoW though, so don't big yourself up too much!

(And as I remember, Spinner had his done before yours, so you're the first follower) ;)

Do look very nice though, have to say - once you get the woodworm cured......

·
Registered
68 Posts
I placed a couple of videos on YouTube of my S5 with the Milltek exhaust. It's pretty sweet sounding. My brother mis-timed the shift in one of the Milltek videos (as I video taped) so I'll get more posted when I get a chance. You can compare it to the stock exhaust and decide for yourself which one you'll want on your car. The Milltek just keeps growling (with a deep throaty exhaust sound) even as it disappears down the horizon unlike the stock which sounds good at first (higher pitched rumble) and then fades as the car gets further away. The Milltek also has better in-car sound.
I chose the Milltek (obviously) and love it! Won't go back!

Stock S5 Exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jk07ew-udk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imBS5yfrXLk

S5 Milltek Catback Exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzv0-Zy3UAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_eO7s6qVKo

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can someone tell me how much this system costs? Me like...
I think it costs about $1799 for the Milltek catback system if you search for it online (not including shipping, tax, etc). I paid $1750 including all taxes and shipping costs (have a friend who works for a car shop so he ordered it for me) and then he charged me $100 for install. Not bad IMO.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think it costs about $1799 for the Milltek catback system if you search for it online (not including shipping, tax, etc). I paid $1750 including all taxes and shipping costs (have a friend who works for a car shop so he ordered it for me) and then he charged me $100 for install. Not bad IMO.
I may be emailing you when my car comes in (August) if you do not mind to take a look/hear of your exhaust. Also interested in seeing it with spacers etc. Don't suppose you work downtown (only seen one meteor/magma downtown in River North about a month ago)?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts